Froyo Brutalized My X Wi-Fi / Haptic / Freezing

XavierX

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Last night I went from a never-once-rooted 2.1 to the OTA Froyo. Launcher Pro was as much of mod as I did on my phone. My beloved X was:

1) rock steady on any Wi-Fi signal I wanted to connect to (home AND work).

2) problem free / browsing in terms of loading pages (on network or Wi-Fi).

3) problem free / freezing screens

4) enjoying functioning haptic feedback was working properly.

5) no such thing as a sudden battery drains

In short, my phone worked nearly flawlessly. Maybe I was lucky that had a phone that actually worked well, as advertised. Fast forward to today:

1) I now have a spastic 'connection detected' message / constantly grabbing and dropping Wi-Fi signal (home AND work.) It is unusable.

2) My browser can't get through half a dozen pages without freezing while loading - on the network. It is basically unusable. At the best, it is maddening.

3) It has frozen up on a few different screens. In settings. In Gmail. While searching the Market.

4) Haptic feedback no longer works.

5) And just a bit ago, the battery drained from about 20% to turned off in the blink of an eye.

I've done 4 battery pulls.

I've done a factory reset.

Nothing has helped.

I know there are much larger problems in the world, but what a step backwards this has been for my X. I've scoured the boards for others with similar issues - and it seems there a couple out there. I also know that any fixes or responses from Motorola or Verizon aren't happening any time soon.

Until then, this sucks. I'm pretty bummed to have gone from such an efficient phone to a near clunker. If anyone has same issues, please chime in and maybe we can figure something out. I want my 2.1 back.

Thanks.

X

allen

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I am having a similar wifi issue. Went from working fine at home to dropping in and out. the longest I have held a connection was about 5 seconds. This was with a Netgear WNDR3700. after about 30 minutes of messing around with the settings everything from mixed mode to removing security, i decided to try and swap it out with an old spare airport extreme. I haven't dropped a connection yet. Rather annoying as I would rather use my netgear for wifi access.

XavierX

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Good to know it's locking onto Airport signal. I have a Netgear router also. At this point, the idea of wi-fi is an absolute luxury.

Since I wrote the above post my phone has frozen 3 times. I'm coming off the factory reset and I now can't even get it to set up my Gmail. Frozen at the home screen. Frozen in settings / accounts. Frozen opening the text message app. Great stuff.

allen

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I ended up taking the plunge and factory resetting my phone, I have had a steady connection to my netgear router for about 40 minutes now uninterrupted. seems like it resolved my wifi issue. Now that i got it working throughput over wifi has been drastically improved over 2.1. Sorry to hear your still having issues, for what its worth, here is the settings currently in place on my router:

Wireless Settings

Wireless Network (2.4GHz b/g/n)
Enable SSID Broadcast
Name (SSID): *********
Channel: Auto
Mode: Up to 300 Mbps

Security Options
None
WEP
WPA-PSK [TKIP]
WPA2-PSK [AES] X
WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]
WPA/WPA2 Enterprise

XavierX

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for posting that. I still can't get past freezing screens enough to test out the Wi-Fi again. When / if I can, I will definitely check against your settings.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the wifi and freezing problem too.
Also did a factory reset, no difference.
When I was running 2.2 leak 1 wifi was perfect where it was terrible on 2.1. I did have screen freezing issues in the leak but it went away after factory reset. Not so with Official 2.2
I go to answer my phone today and the screen is frozen, a few minutes later it is unfrozen.
I'm waiting for way to go back to the leaked version, it was better.

Hrun

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
It looks like there is a problem with 2.2 and the NetGear WNDR3700 router (others are saying other Netgear routers are having issues too). Too bad it's the same router I have. I was getting 5 second connect - disconnect - reconnect, etc on my DX after going to 2.2 last night. I tried to connect at work, I think it was a Cisco/Linksys and was having drop-off issues also. I hope that they get the fix out soon. I guess I'll have to connect to my crappy FIOS router in the back room.

Post from Matt on Motorola forum:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/37509?start=15&tstart=0

"Sorry it took me so long to get back here. Crazy day!

The engineering team told me that they discovered this issue shortly before the launch. A change made to improve WiFi/Bluetooth coexistence broke WiFi on the Netgear WNDR3700 -- your bad luck, I'm afraid. It will be fixed in the next upgrade.

I'm told that one fix is to turn the access point settings to 802.11g mode only (this is the 54 Mbps setting on the AP). Alternatively, you can turn off WMM PS setting, but this may cause issues for other devices you have connected to the access point.

Hope this helps!"

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I got that netgear router and after a hard factory reset mine now works got rid of that endless loop of disconnecting and reconnecting.
Mine stays connected now :)

I was having the same WiFi connect/disconnect problem immediately after upgrading my stock Droid X from 2.1 to 2.2.
This solution appears to be working for me. I changed my wireless router setting from "WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]" to "WPA-PSK [TKIP]"
my settings are the same

Sent using Tapatalk

allen

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
well that didnt take long, endless disconnects are back, i havent changed anything since i wiped my phone and restarted. Just noticed it today when i got home from work. Airport extreme seems to work still. Additionally Mobile hotspot no longer works with my laptop from home (laptop comes back saying connection failed). However it seems to work with my work laptop which has a different wifi chipset. This is really annoying :(

allen

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
just got off the phone with motorola support. seemed to have found a work around at the expense of my battery. Settings > wireless > wifi > menu key advanced settings> set sleep policy to never.

allen

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
dunno, i dont really want to find out lol, i decided to try to swap back to: sleep when screen off but always on when charging, and connection is still stable. guess if it messes up again i will try to flip it back and forth to see if it goes away for another day or so.

dgs2000

May 16, 2010
Visit site
just got off the phone with motorola support. seemed to have found a work around at the expense of my battery. Settings > wireless > wifi > menu key advanced settings> set sleep policy to never.
These Motorola guys are idiots. This setting actually IMPROVES battery life by assuring you are always using wifi when available instead of the more power hungry mobile network (3G) data connection.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87