Froyo Brutalized My X Wi-Fi / Haptic / Freezing
09-25-2010 08:47 AM
- Last night I went from a never-once-rooted 2.1 to the OTA Froyo. Launcher Pro was as much of mod as I did on my phone. My beloved X was:
1) rock steady on any Wi-Fi signal I wanted to connect to (home AND work).
2) problem free / browsing in terms of loading pages (on network or Wi-Fi).
3) problem free / freezing screens
4) enjoying functioning haptic feedback was working properly.
5) no such thing as a sudden battery drains
In short, my phone worked nearly flawlessly. Maybe I was lucky that had a phone that actually worked well, as advertised. Fast forward to today:
1) I now have a spastic 'connection detected' message / constantly grabbing and dropping Wi-Fi signal (home AND work.) It is unusable.
2) My browser can't get through half a dozen pages without freezing while loading - on the network. It is basically unusable. At the best, it is maddening.
3) It has frozen up on a few different screens. In settings. In Gmail. While searching the Market.
4) Haptic feedback no longer works.
5) And just a bit ago, the battery drained from about 20% to turned off in the blink of an eye.
I've done 4 battery pulls.
I've done a factory reset.
Nothing has helped.
I know there are much larger problems in the world, but what a step backwards this has been for my X. I've scoured the boards for others with similar issues - and it seems there a couple out there. I also know that any fixes or responses from Motorola or Verizon aren't happening any time soon.
Until then, this sucks. I'm pretty bummed to have gone from such an efficient phone to a near clunker. If anyone has same issues, please chime in and maybe we can figure something out. I want my 2.1 back.
X09-22-2010 07:21 PM
- I am having a similar wifi issue. Went from working fine at home to dropping in and out. the longest I have held a connection was about 5 seconds. This was with a Netgear WNDR3700. after about 30 minutes of messing around with the settings everything from mixed mode to removing security, i decided to try and swap it out with an old spare airport extreme. I haven't dropped a connection yet. Rather annoying as I would rather use my netgear for wifi access.09-22-2010 07:38 PM
- Good to know it's locking onto Airport signal. I have a Netgear router also. At this point, the idea of wi-fi is an absolute luxury.
Since I wrote the above post my phone has frozen 3 times. I'm coming off the factory reset and I now can't even get it to set up my Gmail. Frozen at the home screen. Frozen in settings / accounts. Frozen opening the text message app. Great stuff.09-22-2010 07:54 PM
- I ended up taking the plunge and factory resetting my phone, I have had a steady connection to my netgear router for about 40 minutes now uninterrupted. seems like it resolved my wifi issue. Now that i got it working throughput over wifi has been drastically improved over 2.1. Sorry to hear your still having issues, for what its worth, here is the settings currently in place on my router:
Wireless Network (2.4GHz b/g/n)
Enable SSID Broadcast
Name (SSID): *********
Mode: Up to 300 Mbps
WPA2-PSK [AES] X
WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]
WPA/WPA2 Enterprise09-22-2010 09:04 PM
- I'm having the wifi and freezing problem too.
Also did a factory reset, no difference.
When I was running 2.2 leak 1 wifi was perfect where it was terrible on 2.1. I did have screen freezing issues in the leak but it went away after factory reset. Not so with Official 2.2
I go to answer my phone today and the screen is frozen, a few minutes later it is unfrozen.
I'm waiting for way to go back to the leaked version, it was better.09-22-2010 09:53 PM
- I was having the same WiFi connect/disconnect problem immediately after upgrading my stock Droid X from 2.1 to 2.2.
Please refer to here: https://supportforums.motorola.com/t...37509?tstart=0
This solution appears to be working for me. I changed my wireless router setting from "WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]" to "WPA-PSK [TKIP]"09-23-2010 01:54 PM
- It looks like there is a problem with 2.2 and the NetGear WNDR3700 router (others are saying other Netgear routers are having issues too). Too bad it's the same router I have. I was getting 5 second connect - disconnect - reconnect, etc on my DX after going to 2.2 last night. I tried to connect at work, I think it was a Cisco/Linksys and was having drop-off issues also. I hope that they get the fix out soon. I guess I'll have to connect to my crappy FIOS router in the back room.
Post from Matt on Motorola forum:
"Sorry it took me so long to get back here. Crazy day!
The engineering team told me that they discovered this issue shortly before the launch. A change made to improve WiFi/Bluetooth coexistence broke WiFi on the Netgear WNDR3700 -- your bad luck, I'm afraid. It will be fixed in the next upgrade.
I'm told that one fix is to turn the access point settings to 802.11g mode only (this is the 54 Mbps setting on the AP). Alternatively, you can turn off WMM PS setting, but this may cause issues for other devices you have connected to the access point.
Hope this helps!"09-24-2010 01:10 AM
- davidncModerator CaptainI got that netgear router and after a hard factory reset mine now works got rid of that endless loop of disconnecting and reconnecting.
Mine stays connected now
Sent using Tapatalk09-24-2010 05:42 AM
- well that didnt take long, endless disconnects are back, i havent changed anything since i wiped my phone and restarted. Just noticed it today when i got home from work. Airport extreme seems to work still. Additionally Mobile hotspot no longer works with my laptop from home (laptop comes back saying connection failed). However it seems to work with my work laptop which has a different wifi chipset. This is really annoying09-24-2010 06:47 PM
- dunno, i dont really want to find out lol, i decided to try to swap back to: sleep when screen off but always on when charging, and connection is still stable. guess if it messes up again i will try to flip it back and forth to see if it goes away for another day or so.09-24-2010 08:17 PM
- 09-25-2010 08:47 AM
- Motorola Android Phones
- More Motorola Phones
- Verizon Droid X Forums
- Motorola Droid X
Froyo Brutalized My X Wi-Fi / Haptic / Freezing
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD