1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,628 Global Posts

Default HOW to do factory reset?

Have done searches on this and find many references for factory/hard resets, but exactly HOW do you do them on the DX? ... And, which is better? Or, both? In what sequence?

With the number of bugs showing up after the 2.3 install - many of which might be connected with installed apps and personalized settings - the adventurous among us may be willing to do a full reset (to out-of-the-box status) with re-installation of 2.3 plus apps/settings.

Perhaps a sticky on this?? Or a link if it's already somewhere in the threads. Thanks in advance!
    Always learning ...

Settings, privacy, factory data reset.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,628 Global Posts

Thank you!!!!
    Always learning ...

But doesn't a factory reset get rid of all your data..like contacts, ringtones .. etc..etc....

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

You can also do it from the bootloader screen (if you get in a pickle).
    4G LTE Thunderbolt

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by traindrvr View Post
    But doesn't a factory reset get rid of all your data..like contacts, ringtones .. etc..etc....

ringtones will have to be reassigned, but your contacts will be back as soon as you log in with your google account.

Quote Originally Posted by We_Ready View Post
    ringtones will have to be reassigned, but your contacts will be back as soon as you log in with your google account.
    but unless you do a backup, dont you lose your pics and ringtones that you made?

Quote Originally Posted by traindrvr View Post
    but unless you do a backup, dont you lose your pics and ringtones that you made?
    that should be stored on your sd card.

Will this make you lose all your apps? How do you get those back?

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bor999 View Post
    Will this make you lose all your apps? How do you get those back?

if you downloaded them in the market just open the market and click downloads and it should show everything you got from there....after that you just redownload and install.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,628 Global Posts

I just went through the full factory reset process and am in the final stages of re-assembling my home screens. Downloading apps from the Market was very fast. I'd made a list ahead of time of those I'd downloaded, so it was easy to find them. I had to do a search for each free app, but the paid downloads were in "my downloads" in the menu for Market.

Have to add here that the issue with my contacts seems to be due to the 2.3 upgrade. The factory reset didn't make any difference when the contacts were downloaded (automatically) from my Gmail account. Came out the same way. From other threads in this forum, it appears there is some bug involved in the contacts. They were prefect on 2.1 and changed only when 2.3 was installed. At least they work OK; just odd without first names in the list.
    Always learning ...

Quote Originally Posted by Arelunde View Post
    Have to add here that the issue with my contacts seems to be due to the 2.3 upgrade. The factory reset didn't make any difference when the contacts were downloaded (automatically) from my Gmail account. Came out the same way. From other threads in this forum, it appears there is some bug involved in the contacts. They were prefect on 2.1 and changed only when 2.3 was installed. At least they work OK; just odd without first names in the list.
    My contacts are just fine...
    Galaxy Note 3 & Nexus 7 (16 GB)

If I helped you or you like what I said, hit "Thanks" or "Like".

Mine were, too.