How to: Clear Dalvik Cache

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
How to: Clear Dalvik Cache

Clicking the above link will lead you where you need to go.

The Dalvik cache is where information about your installed apps go(dependencies trees). Clearing this out typically will fix many problems associated with OTA updates and ROM installs.

After clearing this out, you'll want to reboot your device. When it reboots, it will take longer to boot up than normal as it indexes your apps dependencies and recreates the tree and stores them back into this cache folder. THIS IS NORMAL, DON'T REBOOT, WAIT UNTIL ITS DONE.

After it's done, you'll notice the device is much faster.

Last edited:

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Was my link to show how to clear the Dalvik cache not clear and was vague?

It shows you exactly how to find what you need. I led the horse to the river..

EDIT: There, I wrote up a brief explanation of what it is and what it does.

Last edited:

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
What's the purpose of this thread? You only use the "let me google this for you" if someone is asking an easy to figure out question that can be solved with a google search.

Since no one asked this, you just made a thread which links to NOTHING but archaic google searches, this seems like a useless thread.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
In some of these threads about problems with 2.2, people have asked how to clear out the cache after it's been mentioned to clear it. I've seen it on multiple threads.

I made it easy for them.. if they are curious, they can come here.

I did LMGTFY to show how simple it is to use Google. :D

EDIT: Yes, I'm a jerk.

Last edited:

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
So, what are the consequences (if any) of clearing the Dalvik for the average user? What can he/she expect after reboot?

Thanks for including this critical information, because you know its the responsible thing to do.

P.S. I'd like to thank you linking to Google and not Bing...

jldeitch

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
OK -- found the instructions to clear the cache on an unrooted Droid X easily enough on Google. Got to the recovery screen seamlessly on my X, cleared the cache, rebooted. All is well.

I can't get my wife's X into recovery mode. It's also unrooted. Got to the screen with the triangle/exclamation point/Android guy. But pressing Home/Power doesn't get me to the recovery screen.

Why did it work with one phone buy not the other? I must be missing something simple...

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
If you're experiencing issues after an OTA update, it's "suggested" to clear out this cache and reboot. The cache can be thought of as a registry.. after awhile of running windows, patches and what not, the registry gets bloated and has old entries.

Clearing the cache will rebuild the dependency tree and remove erroneous/old entries.

jldeitch

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Ah -- took some more digging. I think I have the answer to getting an unrooted X into Recovery Mode consistently.

1) Turn off the phone.
2) Hold "Home" while pressing "Power."
3) Release "Power" once the "M" logo appears.
4) Continue to hold "Home" until the exclamation/triangle screen appears.
5) Release "Home" and press "Search" once.

There were several different sets of instructions out there. This set worked for me. YMMV.

bdeyes357

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
So i did a Google search on how to clear the Dalvik cache and it brought me to this forum. So after i went to all the trouble to register for the forum so i could see the link to the solution to how to clear the cache and i find out its just a link to the same f**$%ing Google search that brought be here in the first place. Hoping you'll fall DOWN the stairs soon!!!

JAB1959

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
That link just took me back in circles to start over the same place where I typed in "Droid x clearing Dalvik cashe. The "let me google that for you" thing was pretty annoying too. I got to the triangle screen then couldn't get beyond that without pulling out the battery. It seems to be a secret or a mystery how to clear out this elusive dalvik cache. I cant seem to find a procedure that actually works. Again I am not excited about any procedure that starts out with "make a full backup first" If I have to reload everything, it might be onto an iPhone.

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
That link just took me back in circles to start over the same place where I typed in "Droid x clearing Dalvik cashe. The "let me google that for you" thing was pretty annoying too. I got to the triangle screen then couldn't get beyond that without pulling out the battery. It seems to be a secret or a mystery how to clear out this elusive dalvik cache. I cant seem to find a procedure that actually works. Again I am not excited about any procedure that starts out with "make a full backup first" If I have to reload everything, it might be onto an iPhone.

Are you trying to clear the Dalvik cache or just the cache? If you are unrooted then you are trying to clear just the cache. This is what worked for me:

That is not how you clear the "Dalvik Cache". It seems as though you are trying to clear the "Cache". If you are not changing ROMS frequently there is no need to clear the Dalvik Cache.

To clear the "Cache" for GB:

Gingerbread ? Hold down power and home buttons>wait for droid triangle>press volume up & down simultaneous> select wipe cache>use power button to select>reboot system.

rhitdoph

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I had problems to clear any cache. HTC Wildfire S, Android 2.3.5 This worked for me:

1) shut down
2) hold the volume-down button (I do not say volume-up does not work), then also hold the power button
3) select recovery in the 4-item menu -> screen turns black, then a picture of a phone with green sign appears, then a phone with a red triangle with an exclamation mark appears -- at this point none of the buttons react separately
4) hold down volume-up and volume-down buttons, then also the power button -> voila, the rcovery mode appears
5) clear cache partition

Cheers, M

Matt Eden

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm responding to this post almost 4 years later to say this is the most useless thing I've seen in the world and yes you are being a jerk. I DID google "how to clear dalvik cache" and this was the top post. I then had to register with Android Central just to click your asinine link. So thanks.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc