FroYo: Awesome Upgrade perspective thread

ClaudiaP

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm happy to see this thread, it seems that no matter what wonderful piece of technology comes out there are many people who can do nothing but complain. I'm a bit ashamed that my generation has raised so many spoiled kids who think they are entitled to the best of everything with no effort on their part. I would imagine that many if not most of the most vocal complainers are the same people who were screaming "release froyo NOW and fix any problems with another update later".

To those complaining about the bloatware, I wonder how many would be willing or able to pay the price on this or any other smart phone if it were not there.

I really wasn't having any problems before the update and I'm not having any since.

I see a lot of improvements, it is much faster, for me scrolling through the home screens is faster and smoother and I like a lot of the changes in settings.

I'll admit I'm not a power user and I don't know if I have any improvements in the actual phone part because I am one of those weird people who really don't talk on the phone much. That is why I got this particular phone, I have to pay for cell phone service so it makes more sense to me to pay for one I actually use rather than just to carry around in case I need it.

I am an artist and hobby level photographer and I have found the cameras in cell phones to be little more than useless because of the poor quality pictures they take, I was hoping this 8 mpx camera would be better.

I was pretty disappointed, but I have other cameras so I wasn't pitching a fit about it, since the update I am truly impressed with the quality of pictures this phone takes.

Nice crisp, clear, vivid pictures now, Kudos to Motorola for fixing that.
I'm not so sure I need to carry the Canon in my purse anymore, it can go back to being used on the boat since it is waterproof. Of course it is not close to replacing the DSLR but who would expect it to.

My biggest complaint is that I am spending way too much time on it and on the forums and not getting other things done that I really need to do.
:)

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
The X is an awesome phone whether you're running 2.1 or 2.2. Having said that, it seems the people that are having issues on 2.2 are the minority and likely related to some unusual combination of applications they are running. You can't expect to put a kazillion apps on a phone written by wide assortment of developers that little control is imposed on, and never expect a problem to arise. If you're waiting for perfection, it wont happen.

chuch13

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I had stock 2.1...LPP...and about 40 normal apps...i was drunk around midnight the night of the update...check for system update...it started installing...i put it on the charger and went on with my night...woke up the next morning and everything was running perfectly. It seems to me the only people having problems are ones who rooted or tried to do some crazy stuff to their phones. Thats the price you pay when you try and do that stuff, so stop complaining!

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I've had no problems either. Haven't even done a factory reset yet (I may not); LPP, 50+ apps, all that good stuff and it updated flawlessly. The biggest "problem" I had was my SMS messages showing up in the wrong order for about a day, but whatever the issue was it cleared up on its own.

Kansas

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
It seems that alot of folks are having problems with the 2.2 Froyo update, and are winding up with issues that were'nt there prior to 2.2

Anyone have any thoughts???.... Would it be better to get a Droid X with 2.2 installed from the Factory? Thats means you have a clean install, instead of installing on top of 2.1, maybe some of the issues with Froyo 2.2 are stemming from the install process occuring?

Operator Error causes trouble as well, I found that out with my Blackberry 9700

Have any of you Genius's in this thread seen a "Major Improvement in Performance" of the Droid X? It was pretty damned fast before, How is it now?

I noticed a lot of the people that had problems had been either rooted, previously rooted, or had previously installed the leaked 2.2. Now I will say the rooted users that understood what they were doing seemed to have no problems, but the ones that just rooted because it was the cool thing to do had tons of problems.

Kansas

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Favorite things about 2.2:

Flash!!! CBS.com and Fox.com let me watch shows on my phone, but it sucks hulu blocks it.
Battery Life!
Feels like Faster Web
Update All/Auto Update in Market
Smoother scrolling
GPS widget now only turns satelite GPS on/off instead of thurning Wifi/aGPS off but not back on!!
iMapMyRide seems to work now, though it's still a crappy i*hone port
I like the Gallery better but wasn't disapointed with the old one

Overall about what I was hoping for with a couple nice surprises like battery life, GPS widget, and iMapMyRide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel