return DX for SF+discount? NEED HELP!

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a situation that I'm able to either wait for a DX replacement or trade for the Fascinate.

The situation:

I bought a DX and am very happy with it. It turns out though it was used, the first night I found photos and .pdf's that were not mine on the phone, and because of that I gave the phone a look over and found a deep scratch on the top as well. I informed my VZW rep right away but as everyone knows there is a huge backorder on Droid X's. I've been waiting 3 weeks now for a replacement with still no update on when I will have one for sure. It works perfectly other than a few lock ups recently, so it's not a big deal.

My dellima:

My rep is offering to replace it with a Fascinate plus an extra discount of another $25 off since they have them in stock. If there wasn't such a backorder for the DX and I had gotten the replacement I would never thought about getting a SF.

So I'm trying to decide wether to wait it out for my actually new DX to replace the used one since this one works fine, or go with the new Fascinate. There are things with both that I like. I'm reading the hardware on the SF may be better which I like, but I wanted to hear from those that have tried both and get some pros & cons of the switch to help me decide. I've never rooted my droids but have been thinking about it so that is a factor also since the SF is so much more mod friendly for the time being.

Thanks!

(sorry this is so wordy, just wanted to give as much info as possible for replies)

tdrus1

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm not aware of the availability issues you are referring to. If you have a phone on order and haven't received it, you should call VZW. At least online, the X backorder issues have been taken care of.

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I've played with the Fascinate and its a great phone. Personally though, I'd wait for the DX. The processor on the SF is great as is the screen, but it just doesn't have the gravity (hardware wise) of the DX. I also didn't find it as snappy as the DX for daily use, especially after the DX's 2.2 upgrade. The AMOLED screen really is awesome, but the DX's is easier to read in sunlight and I like the extra real estate.

Personal preference, but either way you're going to wind up with a great phone.

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm not aware of the availability issues you are referring to. If you have a phone on order and haven't received it, you should call VZW. At least online, the X backorder issues have been taken care of.

My rep (he comes to my work) seems to be having trouble getting them. I had to wait for almost a month to get mine originally and its been 3 weeks still for the replacement. I never thought anything of it since I always see on the website that they wont be shipped out for later dates and figure they are back ordered.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
The backorder on the X is less than a week. My X was ordered on the 17th, it came in on the 21st. You shouldn't have to wait anywhere near 3 weeks.

As said, either way, you will end up with a great device. I call them even. X has better call quality and maybe even reception, slightly more solid construction. Fascinate has a better screen, processor, GPU, and form factor. The Fascinate is definitely better if you want to root and ROM it.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I've played with the Fascinate and its a great phone. Personally though, I'd wait for the DX. The processor on the SF is great as is the screen, but it just doesn't have the gravity (hardware wise) of the DX. I also didn't find it as snappy as the DX for daily use, especially after the DX's 2.2 upgrade. The AMOLED screen really is awesome, but the DX's is easier to read in sunlight and I like the extra real estate.

Personal preference, but either way you're going to wind up with a great phone.

my fiance had the fascinate for a while and i could barely notice the difference in screen size the .3 is hardly noticeable and the screen is just amazing colors and pics look just gorgeous.

but is it true the fascinate only has like 384mb of ram? i checked my fiances when she had it before she returned it for a droid 2 and the readout was almost exactly same as my x.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I agree with everyone else. The samsung is a nice phone, but it will come down to if you want the BIGGER screen vs the possibly-better-looking screen. It hasn't been out really long enough to compare battery life, but those screens do consume more battery juice than the DX. Also, I think you know, but the samsung has quite a cheap feeling to it so I hear.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I agree with everyone else. The samsung is a nice phone, but it will come down to if you want the BIGGER screen vs the possibly-better-looking screen. It hasn't been out really long enough to compare battery life, but those screens do consume more battery juice than the DX. Also, I think you know, but the samsung has quite a cheap feeling to it so I hear.

the samsung feels cheaper compared to x because it is not metal so its a lot like the incredible its lightweight and that makes it feel cheaper than the x. While it is lighter it feels solid not like its going to break.

and the x has the best stock battery life of any verizon android device. your right that super amoled screen sucks the life out of your screen but looks so good doing it lol.

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I did get to check out my rep's SF some yesterday and it did feel a LOT lighter and thinner. Yes a little cheaper, but that is something we just equate with weight. I come from mod'ing cars and carbon fiber parts can feel cheap because of how light they are but are far from it so I can over look that. So the weight and size are pros to me.

alpha752

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
When I was in the store trying to get my bricked X fixed, I played with the Fascinate. I like it, its a beautiful phone. The only thing I didnt like was Touchwiz, but I run Launcherpro, so thats not a big deal. When the rep decided to warrenty replace my X, I tried to get him to replace it with a Fascinate, since those were in stock but since im outside of my 30 days he wouldnt.

To sum it up, I really like the X, but the Fascinate is nice too. Im pretty ticked at Moto right now for all this bootloader crap, so I would take a Fascinate if offered.

ferniesp

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree with everyone else as well. Either way, you get a nice phone.

At the end of the day for me, I had to stick with the X for the voice quality, felt better in the hand, build quality, battery life and I would add that the Motorola charges in less then an hour where the Fascinate takes a longgggggggggggg time to charge. GPS is another feature I use alot and Samsung is just very poor at it.

Different strokes for different folks.

newob

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Wait it out man. Otherwise all this was in pain was for nothing. You'll appreciate your new X when you finally get it. Anything great is worth waiting for.