should we not update to froyo

derpudel

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Who knows? Some love it, others don't.
I don't personally think it is as good as 2.1, and would like to stay on that. Unless I load a leak I can't stop it.

It's up to you.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have only one problem on a never before rooted dx .

It was that I couldnt hook up to wifi because of something motorolla did trying to improve one thing , but broke the netgear router wndnr 3700
I actually fixed it before I saw this posted in another thread here and on this link
http://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/37509?start=15&tstart=0

other then the wifi issue its all been good in my case . :)
now that, it is fixed now its 100% great again

coltsbr

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
My device is all stock. I updated last night and had no problems at all. I'm not sure what all the different things are with 2.2 but the one thing I saw so far is the lock screen was a little different. Other than that it does seem a little faster. I did do a hard reset after the software loaded.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I am still testing my battery life , seems to be about the same as far as I can tell right now ,but I have been using it more doing small tweaking in addition to just using it :)

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Remember, you only hear about problems on forums. Your phone is still under warranty, this is a fully supported update. If you're worried, walk into a VZW store, do the update in the store, and if you have problems talk to someone there.

Of course, if you just don't care about any of the 2.2 features and you're happy with the phone there's no real reason to upgrade. There's a decent chance there will be another update soon to fix some of the bugs anyway.

So far I'm rather ambivalent about the update, Flash is nice one some sites, awful on others. It seems a bit snappier with JIT, but it was hardly a laggard before. Some new apps are available for 2.2 phones, others stop working.

Crazy Yankee

Jul 20, 2010
www.crazyyankeesportfishing.com
My update went great. I did have a quick hiccup one a reboot, but I did a battery pull and the phone has been great ever since. I am in love with the speed of this phone and the apps when compared to my Storm 2. My brother had a hiccup with his too after the upgrade, but a battery pull soled that issue too.

Flawson

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Remember, you only hear about problems on forums. Your phone is still under warranty, this is a fully supported update. If you're worried, walk into a VZW store, do the update in the store, and if you have problems talk to someone there.

Of course, if you just don't care about any of the 2.2 features and you're happy with the phone there's no real reason to upgrade. There's a decent chance there will be another update soon to fix some of the bugs anyway.

So far I'm rather ambivalent about the update, Flash is nice one some sites, awful on others. It seems a bit snappier with JIT, but it was hardly a laggard before. Some new apps are available for 2.2 phones, others stop working.
This was my feeling when I saw this too. If you're all stock, you really can't lose. But then again, the update is not of the change-your-life variety...just some nice features. However, and someone correct me if I am wrong, won't the update get pushed to your phone sooner or later if you are all stock? In that case, you may as well bite the bullet.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
It seems that alot of folks are having problems with the 2.2 Froyo update, and are winding up with issues that were'nt there prior to 2.2

Anyone have any thoughts???.... Would it be better to get a Droid X with 2.2 installed from the Factory? Thats means you have a clean install, instead of installing on top of 2.1, maybe some of the issues with Froyo 2.2 are stemming from the install process occuring?

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
It seems that alot of folks are having problems with the 2.2 Froyo update, and are winding up with issues that were'nt there prior to 2.2

Anyone have any thoughts???.... Would it be better to get a Droid X with 2.2 installed from the Factory? Thats means you have a clean install, instead of installing on top of 2.1, maybe some of the issues with Froyo 2.2 are stemming from the install process occuring?

Maybe I missed something, what issues are people reporting that wasn't in 2.1 originally? I ran into the little hold on M screen hiccup but I was able to resolve that in recovery mode hard reset, after hard reset I haven't had any issues. I determined that the issue seems to be coming from not hard resetting before doing update to avoid incompatible apps preinstalled.

I basically updated for volume fix and I never had the expectations many other appeared to have in this update, the performance did increase but I knew not that extreme. I am happy with the update and really haven't experienced any issues, the only thing I wish is that they didn't remove the option to disable the lock screen slider screen.

In my opinion go for it, just try a hard reset before you do the update. I believe you may have better luck.

CBCstillmatic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I believe a lot of people recommend a hard reset after install as well whether you have issues or not...I had no issues and did one anyway and it made a big difference. Other than the lock screen I couldn't tell a difference and even swore my ringer didn't get louder. Once I saw the posts that a factory reset was a good idea for everyone with or without problems I did one. World of a difference now. Phone is much faster and now my ringer is much much louder and I have no other issues I have read about on here. So maybe moto and verizon should just recommend the factory reset to everyone as part of the update instructions.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
It seems that alot of folks are having problems with the 2.2 Froyo update...?

That's simply not true.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-x/36513-how-froyo-working-out-you.html

Most are very happy with their update. And, this forum exists (as all do) as a place for people to come with problems and to get device support.

If you've modified, pre-leaked, rolled back or otherwise modified your device, yes, I'd be afraid. In that case, asking the question in the Hacks forum would be me more appropriate. If you're an average user, there is absolutely no reason not to download it. If VZ is indeed suspending the device, good on them to make even more improvements. However, that doesn't change the fact that most stock X's are NOT experiencing the issues any alleged update is supposed to fix.

anon(40252)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
All factory here. No ATK. No Root.

I have been unimpressed so far. Updated and had lots of problems. A factory reset fixed some things but I am still having more issues than I did on 2.1.

Some people seem to be fine though. Maybe I will try another reset just to see what happens.

Either way I think there are a lot of problems for a release that most thought was going to be pretty solid.

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Count me in on one of those folks who updated their phones without any problems. I think its a solid enough upgrade, and the risks of bricking your phone are small, provided you didn't root it. The volume of problems seem to be in direct proportion to the volume of people who rooted their phones, i.e., rooting and changing the phone increases the odds you'll run into problems upgrading.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay