Any benefit to wiping?

jonasmckee

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded to 2.2 from an un-rooted 2.1.. everything is fine.. just a few FC's and bugs.. would it be beneficial to do a complete wipe/reset and start fresh?

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded to 2.2 from an un-rooted 2.1.. everything is fine.. just a few FC's and bugs.. would it be beneficial to do a complete wipe/reset and start fresh?

If you do a hard reset all setting that was on 2.1 will be removed and you will start with just the information that the OS has verified as working, the update does not delete your settings or apps that I think is the main mistake because not all application are 2.2 tested and could cause issue because of incompatibilities.

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Repost from another thread:

This is as good a place to post this (brief) update as any.

Even though I've had no issues, I had to satisfy my curiosity and just completed a factory reset, betting that it would result in even better performance. I have four paid apps (that were easily re-loaded) and a limited number of other DL's so it wasn't a great inconvenience. All photos and LP icons were stored on my SD card, so no loss there. Ditto DolphinHD bookmarks (there is a dedicated app for this).

It was worth it. I thought it was fast post update... till the factory wipe. I wish I could screen capture to show the Quadrant score of 1468. The number is really meaningless; its all about the feel of the device.

I know wipes are inconvenient, but I have to recommend to all even if you're experiencing no issues. Other interesting finds post wipe:

- Some of the icon graphics have changed inside the system that were not revealed previously

- Some of the icons have changed in the marketplace that did not show previously (e.g., Lookout).

- LP+ seems even happier

- Reload of contacts, calendar, etc. was extremely smooth thanks to gmail login.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
If I was having problems or just thought it could be better then that's what I would do :) but I would do it before to long and you have anything set up,a reset

Sent from my DX using Tapatalk

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

It was worth it. I thought it was fast post update... till the factory wipe. I wish I could screen capture to show the Quadrant score of 1468. The number is really meaningless; its all about the feel of the device.

I know wipes are inconvenient, but I have to recommend to all even if you're experiencing no issues.

I did the same thing after reading this, and yep. As annoying as it was, I think it made the device feel more slick.

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Is there a general guide or checklist before doing the factory reset?

Here are a few shortcuts.

Make sure your photos, songs, etc. are saved to SD card.

I use AppBrain to retain record of downloads.

I use DolphinHD, and use the optional Add-On to transfer bookmarks to SD card.

If you want to save SMS, use an available app from the market to do so.

If you use gmail for calendar/contacts you have no worries there. Ditto notes if you use an app that syncs to gmail (like GTasks).

lewwill

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

This is as good a place to post this (brief) update as any.

Even though I've had no issues, I had to satisfy my curiosity and just completed a factory reset, betting that it would result in even better performance. I have four paid apps (that were easily re-loaded) and a limited number of other DL's so it wasn't a great inconvenience. All photos and LP icons were stored on my SD card, so no loss there. Ditto DolphinHD bookmarks (there is a dedicated app for this).

I know wipes are inconvenient, but I have to recommend to all even if you're experiencing no issues. Other interesting finds post wipe:

- Some of the icon graphics have changed inside the system that were not revealed previously

- Some of the icons have changed in the marketplace that did not show previously (e.g., Lookout).

- LP+ seems even happier

- Reload of contacts, calendar, etc. was extremely smooth thanks to gmail login.

There are several manual updates including Lookout which changes the icon without a wipe.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm gonna say yes for several reasons.
I reluctantly did and I'm glad.
For one, you learn that process. That's a good thing to know, like changing a spare tire or jumping the battery off.

Another is that it does clean up your junk and maybe teach us lessons. It has definatly made me stop sitting in the recliner, with the dog by my side and just install stupid apps without thinking "do I need that?" Although this phone was/and will again be awesome, it just can't handle all the bloatware from Big Red and the stupid apps we put on it and then expect it to make a phonecall.

And it's kinda fun, like getting a new phone again. :cool:

Also taught me to not hit "sync with appBrain" until you have all your old good apps written down.

So I say go for it,

scotth45

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I agree after the wipe my phone is way faster with no issues so far im even noticing different things I didn't have on the phone before.1478 linpack score up from the 13's I was getting.

jonasmckee

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Well I did it yesterday, and glad I did. I even remembered to save my app brain list. Another benefit is ridding myself of all those apps I never used!
Anyway much better !

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

dahlheim

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
my phone for some reason (probably lots of installed/erased apps prior) was very laggy after the update. i then wiped it (yes, the phone...). after figuring out a trick to get around the activation screen (currently in europe, without a cell signal) and installing launcher pro and several other apps i use, the phone is a great deal faster. much improved.

by the way, the "trick" to bypass activation is to touch the four corners of the screen (upper left, upper right, lower right, lower left) in succession when the little droid guy is shown waiting for you to press him to activate...

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think there is some confusion. There is a difference between "wiping" (flash) and "resetting".
A reset just eliminates all your settings and really doesn't clean up all the stuff you want gone to make the phone run better.
Flashing, or "wiping", brings you back to stock 2.1 and the condition the phone was in when you took it out of the box. You must come online with Verizon and Google Sync.
Flashing is optimal before EVERY new OS install for so many reasons. If you don't flash the phone and install over all your settings, apps, patches, etc, you are begging for conflicts and problems with the phone.
Everyone with a smartphone should learn how to flash their unit back to stock and this would eliminate 90% of the issues with these phones.
Unfortunately, there is no instruction manual that will prepare you for this. The internet is your best friend. But once you take it little time to obtain the software and knowledge on how to use it - life in the smartphone world is wonderful.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
What's the difference between a Factory Reset and "flashing" (initializing/wiping) on the X??

I believe they are speaking about a soft reset and a hard rest

Soft Restart - Shutting the device down and powering back up.
Hard Reset - To wipe the device of all personal setting, programs and information and restores device to the original factory settings state.

But since you asked about Factory Reset and Flashing also, here's a explanation of those options..

Factory Reset is reinstalling a preconfigured rom image file saved in the device that will restore the device to the configurations programed from manufacture (Device will be like you powered it up for first time from store) ...

Flashing is when you install a customized rom onto device to override the factory rom image from another source that usually have custom settings and look created by other developers or programmers.

Hope this help..

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc