Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    ROM
    blackICE Kangorade

Default Any benefit to wiping?

I upgraded to 2.2 from an un-rooted 2.1.. everything is fine.. just a few FC's and bugs.. would it be beneficial to do a complete wipe/reset and start fresh?

Quote Originally Posted by jonasmckee View Post
    I upgraded to 2.2 from an un-rooted 2.1.. everything is fine.. just a few FC's and bugs.. would it be beneficial to do a complete wipe/reset and start fresh?
    If you do a hard reset all setting that was on 2.1 will be removed and you will start with just the information that the OS has verified as working, the update does not delete your settings or apps that I think is the main mistake because not all application are 2.2 tested and could cause issue because of incompatibilities.
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    ROM
    blackICE Kangorade

that's what i am thinking, as much as i do not care for the idea of setting everything up again, i think it would be a benefit..

ROM
    Stock

Repost from another thread:

This is as good a place to post this (brief) update as any.

Even though I've had no issues, I had to satisfy my curiosity and just completed a factory reset, betting that it would result in even better performance. I have four paid apps (that were easily re-loaded) and a limited number of other DL's so it wasn't a great inconvenience. All photos and LP icons were stored on my SD card, so no loss there. Ditto DolphinHD bookmarks (there is a dedicated app for this).

It was worth it. I thought it was fast post update... till the factory wipe. I wish I could screen capture to show the Quadrant score of 1468. The number is really meaningless; its all about the feel of the device.

I know wipes are inconvenient, but I have to recommend to all even if you're experiencing no issues. Other interesting finds post wipe:

- Some of the icon graphics have changed inside the system that were not revealed previously

- Some of the icons have changed in the marketplace that did not show previously (e.g., Lookout).

- LP+ seems even happier

- Reload of contacts, calendar, etc. was extremely smooth thanks to gmail login.

Global Posts
    6,667 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

If I was having problems or just thought it could be better then that's what I would do but I would do it before to long and you have anything set up,a reset

Sent from my DX using Tapatalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    ROM
    blackICE Kangorade

Thanks Dural, i thought i looked pretty hard before i posted, but... anyhow here i go.. gonna do it..
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    ROM
    blackICE Kangorade

By the way, what is the preferred method?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dural View Post

It was worth it. I thought it was fast post update... till the factory wipe. I wish I could screen capture to show the Quadrant score of 1468. The number is really meaningless; its all about the feel of the device.

I know wipes are inconvenient, but I have to recommend to all even if you're experiencing no issues.
    I did the same thing after reading this, and yep. As annoying as it was, I think it made the device feel more slick.

Is there a general guide or checklist before doing the factory reset?

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

I am glad this is a Droid X forum because that is not the first thought when I saw the thread topic....

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieTheOneManParty View Post
    Is there a general guide or checklist before doing the factory reset?
    Here are a few shortcuts.

Make sure your photos, songs, etc. are saved to SD card.

I use AppBrain to retain record of downloads.

I use DolphinHD, and use the optional Add-On to transfer bookmarks to SD card.

If you want to save SMS, use an available app from the market to do so.

If you use gmail for calendar/contacts you have no worries there. Ditto notes if you use an app that syncs to gmail (like GTasks).

Quote Originally Posted by Dural View Post

This is as good a place to post this (brief) update as any.

Even though I've had no issues, I had to satisfy my curiosity and just completed a factory reset, betting that it would result in even better performance. I have four paid apps (that were easily re-loaded) and a limited number of other DL's so it wasn't a great inconvenience. All photos and LP icons were stored on my SD card, so no loss there. Ditto DolphinHD bookmarks (there is a dedicated app for this).

I know wipes are inconvenient, but I have to recommend to all even if you're experiencing no issues. Other interesting finds post wipe:

- Some of the icon graphics have changed inside the system that were not revealed previously

- Some of the icons have changed in the marketplace that did not show previously (e.g., Lookout).

- LP+ seems even happier

- Reload of contacts, calendar, etc. was extremely smooth thanks to gmail login.
    There are several manual updates including Lookout which changes the icon without a wipe.

I'm gonna say yes for several reasons.
    I reluctantly did and I'm glad.
    For one, you learn that process. That's a good thing to know, like changing a spare tire or jumping the battery off.

Another is that it does clean up your junk and maybe teach us lessons. It has definatly made me stop sitting in the recliner, with the dog by my side and just install stupid apps without thinking "do I need that?" Although this phone was/and will again be awesome, it just can't handle all the bloatware from Big Red and the stupid apps we put on it and then expect it to make a phonecall.

And it's kinda fun, like getting a new phone again.

Also taught me to not hit "sync with appBrain" until you have all your old good apps written down.

So I say go for it,
    Galaxy S4
    XOOM
    Tab 2
    rootless

I agree after the wipe my phone is way faster with no issues so far im even noticing different things I didn't have on the phone before.1478 linpack score up from the 13's I was getting.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    ROM
    blackICE Kangorade

Well I did it yesterday, and glad I did. I even remembered to save my app brain list. Another benefit is ridding myself of all those apps I never used!
    Anyway much better !

my phone for some reason (probably lots of installed/erased apps prior) was very laggy after the update. i then wiped it (yes, the phone...). after figuring out a trick to get around the activation screen (currently in europe, without a cell signal) and installing launcher pro and several other apps i use, the phone is a great deal faster. much improved.

by the way, the "trick" to bypass activation is to touch the four corners of the screen (upper left, upper right, lower right, lower left) in succession when the little droid guy is shown waiting for you to press him to activate...

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ROM
    3.0.8-gaaa2611, unlocked

I think there is some confusion. There is a difference between "wiping" (flash) and "resetting".
    A reset just eliminates all your settings and really doesn't clean up all the stuff you want gone to make the phone run better.
    Flashing, or "wiping", brings you back to stock 2.1 and the condition the phone was in when you took it out of the box. You must come online with Verizon and Google Sync.
    Flashing is optimal before EVERY new OS install for so many reasons. If you don't flash the phone and install over all your settings, apps, patches, etc, you are begging for conflicts and problems with the phone.
    Everyone with a smartphone should learn how to flash their unit back to stock and this would eliminate 90% of the issues with these phones.
    Unfortunately, there is no instruction manual that will prepare you for this. The internet is your best friend. But once you take it little time to obtain the software and knowledge on how to use it - life in the smartphone world is wonderful.
    Nextel Flips > Motorola Slider > Blackberry Storm 9530 > Motorola Droid X > Galaxy Nexus
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts

What's the difference between a Factory Reset and "flashing" (initializing/wiping) on the X??
    Always learning ...

Quote Originally Posted by Arelunde View Post
    What's the difference between a Factory Reset and "flashing" (initializing/wiping) on the X??
    I believe they are speaking about a soft reset and a hard rest

Soft Restart - Shutting the device down and powering back up.
    Hard Reset - To wipe the device of all personal setting, programs and information and restores device to the original factory settings state.

But since you asked about Factory Reset and Flashing also, here's a explanation of those options..

Factory Reset is reinstalling a preconfigured rom image file saved in the device that will restore the device to the configurations programed from manufacture (Device will be like you powered it up for first time from store) ...

Flashing is when you install a customized rom onto device to override the factory rom image from another source that usually have custom settings and look created by other developers or programmers.

Hope this help..
    Last edited by wildman; 09-27-2010 at 10:36 PM.
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...
    Thanked by:

Im considering doing this... did ur X's run smoother or perform better?

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ROM
    3.0.8-gaaa2611, unlocked

Factory reset is the way to go EVERY TIME.

Download RSD Lite and wipe away the problems. The phone always runs better after a factory reset and new OS install.
    Nextel Flips > Motorola Slider > Blackberry Storm 9530 > Motorola Droid X > Galaxy Nexus

If you're on VZW, prepare to spend some quality time with CS... it's VZW policy that your phone is disabled after a wipe until you call #8899 (Account Investigations) and have your phone re-authenticated. Once you're connected, the call screener will disconnect and call you back on a landline than interrogate you as to why you wiped the phone and possibly harass you depending on your reason (in your case probably not)... the idea is that they wanna make you admit to a TOS violation if you've done anything... Than you'll get transferred a few times before they authenticate you...

Not everyone has had to do this but with my old Dare (bricked it twice) I always had to call and get harassed for being in special menus that "are reserved for Verizon technicians" and that "I shouldn't be playing with" (as in ##PROGRAM9700)...

Just wanted to throw that out there. Have a landline ready if you decide to go through with the wipe.

I did a wipe today, no problems at all. It IS a little scary sitting there on the command screen waiting to see if it all goes well, but it returned to stock 2.2, and then I proceeded to spend a couple hours returning it to the way I want it. Which is now snappier than it was before. NFL app still FCs once in a while though.

Quote Originally Posted by xelhandroid View Post
    I think there is some confusion. There is a difference between "wiping" (flash) and "resetting".
    A reset just eliminates all your settings and really doesn't clean up all the stuff you want gone to make the phone run better.
    Flashing, or "wiping", brings you back to stock 2.1 and the condition the phone was in when you took it out of the box. You must come online with Verizon and Google Sync.
    Flashing is optimal before EVERY new OS install for so many reasons. If you don't flash the phone and install over all your settings, apps, patches, etc, you are begging for conflicts and problems with the phone.
    Everyone with a smartphone should learn how to flash their unit back to stock and this would eliminate 90% of the issues with these phones.
    Unfortunately, there is no instruction manual that will prepare you for this. The internet is your best friend. But once you take it little time to obtain the software and knowledge on how to use it - life in the smartphone world is wonderful.
    While flashing is the ultimate way to go before an OS upgrade, I think it's unreasonable to expect even 5% of the phone owning population to have the technical understanding to do this. You're talking about a mass group of people that are incapable of remembering the simple task of rebooting their PC before calling someone for help because there printer wont print, or they can't get on the internet. I know it's not rocket science, but it goes well beyond the abilities of most users. If that level of cleansing is truly needed in an update, then the update itself needs to handle it...behind the scenes.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ROM
    3.0.8-gaaa2611, unlocked

greydarrah,

you make a most compelling argument but....

The process does involve some self restorative aspects but the flaw is inherent in the OTA aspect of getting the new OS. What you must take into consideration is that a majority of the smartphone population does get the update without a problem. This is an amazing technological feat in my book.

But the whole notion of owning a smartphone that does all the wonderful things it does without it EVER burping or hickupping along the way is also somewhat naive.

Smartphone ownership, like car ownership, requires a bit of self education on the part of the owner. No piece of machinery is without its flaws. You either learn how to perform preventive maintenance / repair work OR you pay someone else to do it. Ownership implies you must obtain a modicum of knowledge about how your equipment works and needs to be serviced. Sometimes you get lucky and find someone to do the repair work free or for considerably less. But ALL equipment breaks at some point in time.

We all pay good money for these products and in that aspect, we should be able to expect stuff to run good most of the time. I think the DX does. But its a complicated device and learning how to keep it running well is incumbent of the owner IMO.

Semper Fidelis
    Parris Island, First Battalion, B Company 1985
    Methinks I should have gone to college first and went the O route...LOL
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast