1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

Default I Must Be Missing Something...What Is The Main Point Of Tethering?

From what I gather the main reason people tether is to use their phone as a mobile hotspot. Is that right or am I missing something? Are there any other benefits to this? I'm not knocking the people that use it for this but that is something I really have no need to do and was just wondering if there was something else that tethering accomplishes that I'm missing out on.

Thanks for any info.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

I'm traveling. I have a laptop that needs connectivity. There's WiFi available at the airport, but they want $14 for access, so I tether my phone so I can surf the web and get email.

Better yet, I made my company get me an aircard
    Thanked by:

It's benefit is when you want to use your laptop, but there's no wifi signal to get on the net. Nothing more then that.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

Ok...thanks guys. That is the answer I was looking for.
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts

Conceivably, some might opt to use the tether instead of paying for home internet access via cable or (gasp!) land line service provider. However, from what I understand, it's not as efficient as a direct DSL connection. And, I would think it might take a toll on the DX after a while, if used a lot (??)
    Always learning ...

I don't know if that's feasible. DSL is much faster then 3G. I'd hate to be using my laptop on 3G speeds full time. In a pinch yeah but not a steady diet

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    Better yet, I made my company get me an aircard
    We found that at least some aircards do not play well with the VPN product we run on our company laptops. I do not have that problem running PdaNet on my Droid X. This past weekend when I was out of town there was no wireless access where I was staying. I had all the access I needed with my DX unlike the others in the house with laptops who did not. I think a few people I know may be buying Android based phones in the near future.
    Android Enthusiast

ROM
    SKAnkCM10/Milestone6

Quote Originally Posted by We_Ready View Post
    From what I gather the main reason people tether is to use their phone as a mobile hotspot. Is that right or am I missing something? Are there any other benefits to this? I'm not knocking the people that use it for this but that is something I really have no need to do and was just wondering if there was something else that tethering accomplishes that I'm missing out on.

Thanks for any info.
    To point that out to your buddys that your phone can do wifi tethering and they can't.

Or if you carry another device that needs wifi such as an ipod touch.