SD Card problem after froyo

ArtieTheOneManParty

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I just went through the steps to do a factory reset on my phone, and my pc won't recognize the phone. When I plug it in, I get the "droid" sound, and it says, preparing sd card. Then, it does it again and again, about every 10 seconds. I pulled the card to backup my stuff first. Why won't my pc connect to the card? This all worked prior to the update :(

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how long you waited, but you might try waiting it out a little longer. I just hooked up to USB to access files via Explorer this afternoon, and got impatient with it the first time.

On the second attempt I waited it out, and everything was fine. I have a 32gb card, so that might be why it took so long.

ArtieTheOneManParty

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I've done it before, and it connected in 30 seconds or so, and only said "Droid" once. now, it just keeps repeating it, every 10 seconds or so. I probably let it go for a minute before I pulled it.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I just went back and timed my 32GB card connect. It chirped with the Preparing SD Card message for about 7 min and 15 seconds, before that stopped and the Autoplay Splash Screen appeared and I was able to select to view the files via File Explorer.

I confirmed that I could see the SD card directory from the PC, then ejected the DX. I haven't a clue why the process takes that long, but as long as it works successfully, I'm OK with it.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I had a near-death experience after I ran that timing test. When my DX came back up, and had finished Loading Media Files, a large majority of my pictures and videos were no longer on the SD card.

Fortunately, I had done a complete backup of the SD card a couple of hours earlier, and I was able to do a restore on the missing files. Of the 6087 files that had been on the card, only 4147 were still there. Almost all of the almost 2000 missing files were pictures, videos and thumbnails, and I was able to restore them. It remains to be seen if any other anomalies come up as result of this.

This event has pretty much destroyed my confidence in this process, and I plan to continue doing backups every time I attach the DX to my PC in the future.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
My file loss problem continued today, unfortunately. I did another connect this morning, and checked everything OK via file explorer, disconnected and watched Gallery collect files until it was completed, then discovered there again many directories and files removed.

I reconnected to the PC, did another restore, and after disconnected watched the gallery, as it counted my picture files DOWN, instead of UP, ending with another 2000, or so missing in the end. During the process, I could actually see some picture counts go negative. Very weird.

Prior to upgrading to 2.2, I had installed a copy of the Froyo gallery, which was still present on my DX, so I actually had 2 different Gallery apps installed, and it occurred to me that they may conflict with one another, and perhaps that was the source of the bizarre behavior in the DX recovery. I uninstalled the one ID'd as Gallery version 1.1.30682-desire, and went through the Connect/Restore/Disconnect routine one more time.

This time, with the second Gallery app removed, the DX recovered normally, with all files and directories present and accounted for. I'll keep watching this closely, to make sure my picture and video files and directories don't disappear in the future, and cross my fingers that this really was the problem - time will tell.

Dhow

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
sd files lost

ok, i dragged a ton of music all manually. ive done it three times, and each time all the music is gone when i unmount. ??????

i tested a single track (after the first time it showed up with nothing) and that track showed up, played on my phone, and worked all around. i then added everything else to the same folder, and then when i went back the entire folder was empty, including that single track that i had just played.

then i tryed mounting, adding an album, unmounting, check it, remount, repeat, and after the third album everything was gone again.

i dragged everything and left the computer to do its thing while it transfered everything and came back way after it finished each time. 32 gb sd, captivate, windows 7. mounted, the music is all in the correct folders, after unmounting the files disappear completely, from both the android and windows file explorers. any help?

ArtieTheOneManParty

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting sick of having to power off my phone, pull my sd card, and use an adapter to plug into my laptop, just to transfer stuff. Is there a way I can remove the associated drivers from my pc, so that the next time I plug in my X, it will be like the first time? I'm running Vista on a Dell laptop.

alcor34

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone, i don't know if it will help you, but i had the same problem, the computer would not recognize my phone for very long and my solution since updating to 2.2 was, on PC go to start menu and under applications click motorola and open to driver program, tell it to clean and reinstall and let it finish then plug back up your phone and cycle through the different usb modes so it reinstalls the phone drivers. Now. it's lightning fast for me again.