Scrolling/UI responsiveness problems on my Droid X with Froyo - anyone else?

waterwagen

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

So I upgraded to Froyo and ever since I've been having problems with the responsiveness of the UI/screen. The most obvious manifestation of this is when scrolling (e.g. browser, timeline in a twitter client, app market) during which I get a lot of stuttering and lack of smoothness. Sometimes the lack of responsiveness will get worse and worse until the screen is essentially unresponsive. In fact this morning it got to the point where the device completely locked up and I had to pull the battery. Usually it's not to this level, just a lot of stuttering, but it's interesting that it seems to be variable.

I've tried a reset, both the standard way and with Fabrian's method which is stickied in this forum. Both have made things a bit smoother, but still have a lot of stuttering, which I didn't have at all with 2.1.

Is anyone else seeing this? I actually don't have that many apps installed, maybe 10 or so.

Bravozero

Drroooiiiiddddd
Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I've still got a bit of stuttering as well, even after the whole reset process. Overall the operations of the phone are faster, but as far as the user interface, ESPECIALLY the web browser, seems a bit hesitant. Wasn't this bad with 2.1.

I dunno... as much as I would like to love 2.2, I still think 2.1 was a bit more... stable, for lack of a better word. The only things I like about 2.2 are the increase in volume levels, Flash (which slows the browser down significantly), and some GUI changes. Otherwise, 2.1 was a bit smoother.

miamifin33

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have this exact same problem. To the point where I thought it was the browser itself so I tried every single browser I know of and they all had the same issue. The screen would basically lock up and not scroll at all, and simply turning the screen on and off would not correct it.

I'll admit, a wipe did help my phone a bit (not with this particular problem) but Froyo has so many bugs to work out, it's incredible.

waterwagen

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I've still got a bit of stuttering as well, even after the whole reset process. Overall the operations of the phone are faster, but as far as the user interface, ESPECIALLY the web browser, seems a bit hesitant. Wasn't this bad with 2.1.

I dunno... as much as I would like to love 2.2, I still think 2.1 was a bit more... stable, for lack of a better word. The only things I like about 2.2 are the increase in volume levels, Flash (which slows the browser down significantly), and some GUI changes. Otherwise, 2.1 was a bit smoother.
Yeah, that sounds like my experience. I notice it most in the browser and twitter clients. It really is pretty crappy.

Interestingly, swiping through home screens or through pages in book apps or really most other UI navigation actions have very little or no lag. Frustrating because browsing and twitter reading are much of my usage on the phone.

At this point, I want to go back to 2.1.

Bravozero

Drroooiiiiddddd
Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I wish you could set it up like Blackberry's where you could customize different functions of the phone, or create a "Hybrid" OS. Different radio file here, different GUI file there, different web browser file... if it were possible to port some of the new additions over to 2.1 such as Flash and the increased volume level, then I think a lot of DX users would be happier.

jpr196

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
My experience has mostly been opposite. I was seeing much more lag on 2.1 than on 2.2. The App Drawer and contact lag has completely disappeared with 2.2. Haven't noticed anything with the browser to cause complaints. This is with stock UI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair