Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

Default HDMI AwesomeSauce recipe

We probably all know about Real HDMI which allows Droid X users to push anything on their display out the HDMI port. Those of us who've used it also know that it's not perfect in that it freezes the current display which makes it very hard to actually do anything with the device when in HDMI mode (you kind of need to guess where you're clicking).

What most of us probably don't know about is Droid VNC Server (also consider the donate version - this functionality is worth it!). Essentially this application will mirror your Android phone's screen on your computer and let you interact with it using your mouse. You just need a VNC viewer (run vncviewer [phone_ip]::5901 under Ubuntu, check out RealVNC for Windows, and get a new computer if you've got a Mac - or look at Chicken of the VNC). I've got a touchscreen PC so it's doubly nice on my system.

These programs separately are pretty cool, but when you combine them you can actually display your phone on your TV and control/view the screen on your computer. The only downside is that VNC is an ancient protocol dating from when Xerox (yes, Xerox) invented windowed computing. As such it doesn't handle video very well and the response time is a little slow (watching YouTube via VNC isn't a pretty experience), but it certainly gives you enough control to navigate around with your phone across the room displayed on your TV.

The other item worth noting is that Droid VNC requires you to root your phone, but Real HDMI has some nice features if you root as well so it's a two-for.

I hope some of you find this useful.
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    Motorola Droid X (WiFi)/Motorola Droid 2 Global (VZW)
    Motorola 9505A (Iridium)/HP Zeen (WiFi)

Cool idea. So let's say I hook phone to tv. Vnc to my pc. Bring my wireless keyboard and mouse over to the couch. Control and watch everything from the tv.