2.2 progressively getting worse?

gbororats

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok so i have given my x every opportunity and have not complained one bit about the extreme buggyness of the new OS. Here is what i am finding that seems to be getting progressively worse.

1. Text messaging/data stops functioning. Text messages are not received until i reboot the phone. I will be in the middle of a conversation that magically ends. Just thinking the person stopped responding. When i reset my phone when i wake up at 4am an abundance of messages come in out of nowhere.

2. Folders i have created on the desktop: I can open a folder for say "sports" and launch an app, like the NFL app provided by big red themselves. After i close the app (no matter which one i open) i can no longer open that folder back up until i reset the phone. Goes for any folder i have and any app inside of it.

3. Phone calls stop working. The other night i tried to make a phone call, it dialed, said connected, and started counting. It didnt ring or anything after almost a minute. I rebooted the phone, and the calls started working again. This is a great situation for emergencies if you cant use the phone. Lets get our priorities straight, this is a phone before anything else, so at least this should work.

4. After using a headset to talk on the phone the audio output ceases to function. I use a stereo wired headset in my car since to me its easier and helps me remember to take the phone out of the car. After using it, the notifications all shut off, and the phone no longer makes any noise. The settings are obviously still set to loud.

5. After the phone display is shut off when i open it back up its on random screens. Say i am on my main page, if i lock the phone, slide to unlock it, itll have an application folder open, or a contact inside of contacts open, or a random text message ready to be sent blank to some facebook person i cant get rid of.

6. Email stops being downloaded, doesnt get pushed, and doesnt automatically go to the fetch schedule. Once i reboot the phoen all email from the previous day or the last time i reset it comes in. I thought i had this fixed but apparently not.

After the initial update these things werent really a problem or i didnt notice. Now they are progressively becoming more noticeable and make the phone almost completely useless when i need to use it.

I have minimal apps, i refuse to install any app that requires access to send and receive messages or modify my contact information. There is no need for half these apps to request this information. I have done a factory reset without restoring the apps. I am running stock 2.2 and have never been rooted. No task killer installed either.

any thoughts suggestions similarities?

bcso48

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Definitely sounds like a mess... Did you previously root your phone ? My phone has also been buggy since the update but noting like your experiencing. My issues have been regarding music files on my phone no longer playing. I did a hard reset the one described in these forums and my problems went away.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Copy and paste your complaints to microsoft word, print it, and go to the verizon store to get a replacement.

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm not having ALL the same issues as you are, but I have a couple of them and another that wasn't mentioned. I am most definitely having the folder issue. Since the last reset I haven't bothered to create any folders or customize the phone, because there is a warranty replacement on the way. I found a glitch with the camera to where after opening the app more than twice, it'll open and take a photo, but it wont actually save it. I have to reset the phone and take the pictures again. I am also having an issue with the gallery itself. When I first open it in portrait mode, the folder marked camera roll, the thumbnails do not appear. And I can't tap on any of the others either. When I rotate the phone to landscape mode, the thumbnails appear, and I can now tap IT, and the other folders as well. Another thing I noticed was trying to unmount the sd card through the settings menu. It never actually unmounts. It grays out like its going to unmount, but never actually does it. After a few minutes the option to unmount the card is lit up again.

I went into a Verizon store on thursday, and was able to duplicate all the issues I mentioned. So a replacement is on the way. I will admit that I feel that a warranty replacement wont do me any good. I feel the problem lies within the Motorola version of 2.2 based on similar issues I noticed with the Droid 2 for the one week I owned it. The sd unmount issue was the first thing I noticed on the D2. Didn't see it on the X until 2.2 was installed. I too have done several hard resets in numerous forms, and have avoided installing ANY apps afterwards to see if maybe one of them was the cause. Unfortunately it didn't fix anything. I will do this exchange as a formality. After that I will think about my future with this device. I spent a good hour with the Incredible which also runs 2.2 and didn't see any of these issues.

SuperChargedJ

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Definitely sounds like a mess... Did you previously root your phone ? My phone has also been buggy since the update but noting like your experiencing. My issues have been regarding music files on my phone no longer playing. I did a hard reset the one described in these forums and my problems went away.

I also experienced bugginess when texting and my phone would randomly reboot itself when I set it down and while I was working on it. After reading through the forums on this site, I decided to back up my photos and contacts and I hard reset the device. It definitely had to be one of the apps I installed. I haven't had any problems since. I am not rooted as well.

DaFrenchman

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm on my second phone now, having gotten it replaced after suffering issues 1, 3, and 6 in the original post here. So far, I'm having the exact same issues with the new device. I'm going to factory reset it here shortly to see if that helps, but I'm getting rather frustrated at missing phone calls.

schizrade

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Same here. Buggy as hell. Good job Moto, not that I should be surprised. This phone has let me down at some critical moments... not happy.

LVracerGT

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Mine seems to be getting worse also. I'm probably going to ask VZW to flash my phone back to 2.1.

Also, if Froyo is so buggy why is Moto shipping it with 2.2 installed? Doesn't make any sense.

Neurofunk

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
I have definitely witnessed my phone going from working normally to crap since the 2.2 OTA update. I think i'm going to perform the fix that is stickied in the forum to nuke any old information and start fresh and hope it doesn't degrade with usage again.

the_fan

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Not having any of these problems. I've noticed that the people mainly experiencing them are the ones who have roooted thier phones, are using custom ROMs and have just simply messed with their factory settings. I haven't done any of this, and whether it's do to that? Who knows?, but mine works great.

Neurofunk

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Not having any of these problems. I've noticed that the people mainly experiencing them are the ones who have roooted thier phones, are using custom ROMs and have just simply messed with their factory settings. I haven't done any of this, and whether it's do to that? Who knows?, but mine works great.

I did have my phone rooted before I just did my factory default and now that I think about it I haven't used it for anything since i've done so. Maybe i'll just skip it this time around and see how it goes. Either way I performed the fix sticked in the main forum and i'll see how it goes :)

jnnyr

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
You must have missed the OP post when he said he never rooted. The QC on the OS is just awful.

Last edited:

anon(19981)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I have not rooted my X and have even received a replacement X because my camera/video recorder quits working for no reason. I have very few apps on the phone and have did a complete factory reset without auto-installing apps. Once I reboot the phone, the camera and camcorder usually starts working but not always. I think I will wait for the update and hope that this bug is fixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non