Receiving Text Messages Twice...

DamnRock

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
So I'm just about finished working through bugs on the phone... I THINK this problem started once I got 2.2 but I can't say that for sure... the problem is I receive every text twice... once by the "Text Messaging" program (the one similar to iphone texting) and then once by "Messaging" program. It looks like both are built-in programs so I'm not sure I want to uninstall one... what are my options?

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
two things:

are you using a theme?

are you getting two texts (the text shows up twice in the actual program) or two notifications?

if you are getting two notifications, go into the settings for the one you don't actually use and turn off the notifications (uncheck it)

if you are getting two texts, then it's because of a theme you're using, you need to delete the extra sms application they added in (could be conversation(s).apk, or mms.apk.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
There seem to be a lot of possibilities in this situation - and also when you send one text and the person receives two.

As far as I can tell, you need to...

1 - decide on one desktop icon to handle your text messages. If you have two (ex: the text message icon and the mailbox icon), they fetch separately. I don't know if this causes your problem, but mail/contacts on the X is more complicated than it appears. So, if you have only one icon/widget for email and/or texting, life is simpler.

2 - BTW, check your contacts and see how many links there are for each person. I've been doing battle with having increasing numbers of links (many old) for the same person via "phone book" ... and I can't quite identify the source of that entity. I get all my email (incl pop3) through Gmail and sync contacts through Gmail, too. But that's another story...

DamnRock

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm receiving two actual textts... you know this may have started when I added the Onix Gala X 1.5.2 theme so I'll look at getting rid fo the apk for the messaging app they included and see if that does it.

thanks!

jbomb11

Banned
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I rooted and installed gala and had the same problem it got pretty annoying so I flashed back. Let me know if you find a solution...

Sent from my DROID X using my fingers!

DamnRock

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
ok so /system/app/Mms.apk is the one I want to rename... what step am I missing? I can't chmod the file, I can't mv it via terminal emulator... I can't even uninstall it. I'm doing all this from the phone... will it matter if I use adb shell from my laptop to try and rename it?

DamnRock

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
ok trying this... connecting to phone via adb shell then entered the following comments to rename the Mms.apk to Mms.apk.old... thsi will leave the iphone-like conversation as the messaging program and hopefully stop the duplicate texts.

su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblk3 /system
rm /system/app/Gmail.apk
reboot

Looks like it worked, phone rebooted, I sent a test message from fiancees phone and only got one notifcation and one message!

YAY finally.

DamnRock

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Ah, sorry... I used this:

su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblk3 /system
rm /system/app/Mms.apk
reboot

I got the commands from another forum and changed them before submitting them but didn't change them for that post!

GatorPT

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
i just used titanium backup to freeze the app and it worked just fine. didnt have to change anything in system . also , the second gallery that gets added when you load gala 1.5 , i feezed it aswell.

GatorPT

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
im still sketchy about deleting files in root explorer . I guess the only thing making me nervous is not knowing if i need to put something back in place in order to update or change software if the need arises. I read where you changed to a fascinate . I hatge to see you leave the Droid X forums . I have enjoyed talking with you , Let me know how you like it , and the Pros , and cons .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz