1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts

Default Coming from BB Storm 2 to Droid X

One thing I miss about the BB is that if I want to type in "bbiab" I can have it display be back in a bit. This was done with the built-in "dictionary".

Is there any such thing for Android that will allow this sort of functionality?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been asked before!

stolzyboy

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

I am also a convert from the Storm 2, I find that the Droid X is everything the Storm 2 should have been.

I wish there was someway to get a BBM port so you could contact some of the Blackberry Messenger users..

This thing does everything better than the Storm 2 !!!

Quote Originally Posted by stolzyboy View Post
    One thing I miss about the BB is that if I want to type in "bbiab" I can have it display be back in a bit. This was done with the built-in "dictionary".

Is there any such thing for Android that will allow this sort of functionality?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been asked before!

stolzyboy
    Use Voice to Text, who needs "dictionary" shortcuts, that's so old school, lol.

J/K
    a little obsessive...
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts

lol... kinda hard to voice text when I'm in the office :-)

for text messages at least, i think handcent has an option for autotext which might work for that...

some of the 3rd party keyboard iirc also had that feature, either better keyboard, or smart keyboard i can't remember which.

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

I came from a Storm 2 as well, and have come to really like Ultra Keyboard. It does suggestive words, which takes your user dictionary into account, and autotext/shortcuts (bbiab=be back in a bit). It also has an option to either use a full keyboard or compact keyboard in portrait mode. The compact keyboard is basically the same thing as the portrait SureType keyboard on the Storm, if you used it.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cron912 View Post
    I came from a Storm 2 as well, and have come to really like Ultra Keyboard. It does suggestive words, which takes your user dictionary into account, and autotext/shortcuts (bbiab=be back in a bit). It also has an option to either use a full keyboard or compact keyboard in portrait mode. The compact keyboard is basically the same thing as the portrait SureType keyboard on the Storm, if you used it.
    i do miss the suretype!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts

I also wish Google Talk would show the "delivered" and "read" notifications that BBM had, but overall, loving the X in comparison, just miss some of the
    BB specific things, but that's going to be the issue when you go from one platform to another and vice versa.

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

It is a paid app ($3-4 I think), but it's been well worth it. It has quite a few other features as well. For example, it will also do tracing (think Swype), and can be done on both the full and compact keyboard.

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    ROM
    Official 4.0.2 Rooted

Came from Storm 2 also and 3 other BB's before it. Was very difficult to switch and admit RIM had really fallen behind. I'm so glad I did though. I'm in love with my X. All I miss is BBM and built in sound profiles. Although the app Audio Manager Pro easily took care of that. I highly recommend it. Everything else is far superior!

Settings -> Language & Keyboards -> User Dictionary -> Add
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ambrodsky View Post
    Came from Storm 2 also and 3 other BB's before it. Was very difficult to switch and admit RIM had really fallen behind. I'm so glad I did though. I'm in love with my X. All I miss is BBM and built in sound profiles. Although the app Audio Manager Pro easily took care of that. I highly recommend it. Everything else is far superior!
    I use setting profiles. Seems similar, but it's always nice to have options

Quote Originally Posted by sniffs View Post
    That will add a word, yes, but not an auto text shortcut. They are the only thing I miss from bb.

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk
    Droid X
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - CM10

I remember reading about a program called "Ping Chat". It is a multi-platform program. From what I hear it works similar to BBM. I have not used it, so I can't give many other details. But Just a thought for something to maybe check out.

I still have an S2, waiting for my upgrade to become available next month. But doing a little research before making the switch to the DX.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sniffs View Post
    That doesn't cut it, you can't do a replacement. As good as the learning is on the standard keyboard, sometimes replacements are necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by cae2685 View Post
    I use setting profiles. Seems similar, but it's always nice to have options

That will add a word, yes, but not an auto text shortcut. They are the only thing I miss from bb.

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk
    I use the SwiftKey keyboard on my dx most of the time I don't have to type more than two letters of a word and it will predict it. might be a good solution for you

Quote Originally Posted by Racer38 View Post
    I am also a convert from the Storm 2, I find that the Droid X is everything the Storm 2 should have been.

I wish there was someway to get a BBM port so you could contact some of the Blackberry Messenger users..

This thing does everything better than the Storm 2 !!!
    How about it. But I had the storm 1.
    My droid x Rocks. You think you have problems trying using Blackberry storm1. My IM group

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

I did the same thing and couldn't have made a better choice

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Motorola Q > Blackberry Pearl > Blackberry Storm > Blackberry Storm 2 > Droid X > HTC Thunderbolt > Note 2

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by karmiccalamity View Post
    I use the SwiftKey keyboard on my dx most of the time I don't have to type more than two letters of a word and it will predict it. might be a good solution for you
    I have SwiftKey, but I keep switching back to Swype. It's nice not having to worry about fat fingers on the wrong keys.
    Droid X
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - CM10
    ROM Abuser

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

I used firekeys for a while. it was ok i just didnt like how the keyboard felt when i got to the droid x because i got addicted to the regular keyboard.

lol... kinda hard to voice text when I'm in the office :-)
    I'm Storm person approaching my X return date. I started using voice to text for my time and billing entries and then got some strange looks at a few work sites he he....

I'm currently looking at different keyboards, missing some aspects of Blackberry, but the X large screen is hard to give up.

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

i do miss the suretype!

Get better keyboard from the market. I highly recommend it!

It has full qwerty as well as sure type option. Note they refer to sure type as compact in the settings. I use bettery keyboard along with better keyboard dark grey skin and font pack 4. The keyboard is so much better than the stock. The other plus is that you can customize the keyboard at any time.

You have to give it up to Android giving you the ability to change the look and function of your device.

As a former Storm 1 & 2 owner, I also missed the SureType keyboard. Better keyboard was OK, but does not have the word logic behind it that SureType has. As awkward as it was for the first day, I can tell you that NOTHING is as fast and efficient as Swype. It's weird at first, but if you stick with it for about a day, you'll never want to use any other input method again.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

+1 for Ultra keyboard. I absolutely loved suretype, and hated not having something similar on the droid ... until I found Ultra keyboard on the compact setting.

I tried Better keyboard, the compact layout was nice, but the predictive text was absolutely comical. I'm not sure if they've improved it or not, but Ultra keyboard does the job very nicely.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts

I have been using swype and that makes me NOT miss suretype AT ALL!!!!!

http://www.codesight.net - Web Hosting, Custom Web Development, Web Hosting, Web Consulting