Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone hear if the X is ready for 4g?

I just read my city will be getting 4g from verizon, anyone know if the X is going to be able to take advantage of the new 4g network?

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM4DXGB, Stock Rooted,

in short, no.

in long, none of the phones Verizon currently offers will be capable of accessing the new LTE network they are launching at the end of the year. From what I have read the first devices will be broadband cards for computers.
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." ~ D.N.A.

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm sure at least 1 phone will be released that will take advantage of the LTE like Sprint did with the EVO.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

well that sure bites a big one. Why release such good phones with the rollout of 4g right around the corner and not be able to take advantage of it.

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Verizon announced a while back that LTE handsets wouldn't be hitting until 2011.

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gizzyman View Post
    well that sure bites a big one. Why release such good phones with the rollout of 4g right around the corner and not be able to take advantage of it.
    Easy, so they can sell you a new phone!

I bought a DX a few weeks ago knowing full well that the device is already scheduled for EOL (end of life) in 5 months as well as the fact that it's not 4G capable. Honestly, by the time 4G hits my area in a year or so, I'll be ready for another upgrade to a new 4G device- a DX 2 or whatever. In the meantime, I'm enjoying my non-4G DX!
    Galaxy nexus!

Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock 2.3.4

I wish it was

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

but it would cost another $10.00 per month - not for me...

ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

Actually the issue is getting voice to work over LTE. Getting data running is relatively easy, but retrofitting voice apparently not so much. Expect phones starting mid 2011, maybe in the second quarter but I'd stay away from them and let others deal with the teething pains.
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    Motorola Droid X (WiFi)/Motorola Droid 2 Global (VZW)
    Motorola 9505A (Iridium)/HP Zeen (WiFi)

I take it 3G will still exist, alongside the network?

Yes. 3G will still exist for quite a while.