Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Thinking about rooting my Droid X

I'm very serious about it. Just kinda nervous about it. What are the pros and cons and which program to use? Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Only one con. If you have to return your device for any reason, you have to unroot it first.

Pros are numerous. Main one is you can make full system backups, use apps that can back up apps and user data, clear caches, load themes, etc.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I've had it over 30 days so I'm outside of my 30 day wfg. I know if I root it it will void my warraty. So I guess it would have to be an insurance claim. but is unrooting hard to do? Which is the best program to use?

Unrooting isn't very hard to do. It involves flashing your device with the proper .sbf file using the utility RSD Lite.

I used the Droid 2 one click rooting procedure detailed on xda forums to root. You need a working install of ADB on your computer and the appropriate Motorola usb drivers, but the process is easy if you have that set up.

Quote Originally Posted by xliderider View Post
    Apparently, you can root/unroot your X without even using a computer:

Much simpler guide for rooting (no pc required) - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
    I was also hesitant to root.....knowing that if I had a problem with my phone I would have to unroot in order to not void the warrenty.

The day after I rooted I had a problem with my phone which required getting a replacement from verizon.

Long story short, I used the one click root to root my phone, the unroot part of it wouldnt work (which caused me to freak out for a bit) but used the above unroot method using no pc but rather doing it on the phone with the app "terminal emulator". It was extremely easy.....and that's coming from someone with previous computer mod experience.

Rooting is no different than going into file explorer on a new pc running windows and checking the box that says to show hidden system files. Nothing changes on your pc other than the fact that you can now see those hidden files. If you choose to delete some of them and crash your pc, that's your fault/re tardation (how can the world be so fu cking hypersensitive that you can even type the word re tard?).

When you root your phone, it just allows you to see and potentially modify hidden system files...but only if you choose to. The whole process takes about 5 minutes, and 30 seconds later, you can be using your phone as a wireless network (download Wireless Tether) for the kids in your car without paying more ridiculous fees to verizon.

I think I will be taking the step and trying to root this weekend with the one-click from XDA. Glad you asked the question before me.