new and lost

Jgo113#IM

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
today it took me 2 minutes to figure out how to get an sms and an email ... got a droidx an although it looks like it could be great i can't seem to get started enjoying it ... thinking of turning my storm2 back on =/

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
If you go back to the Storm 2, you will never know how much you missed! Too bad.

Two minutes to figure out something isn't very much investment of time in what is a new "computer" for your pocket.

DougFNJ

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Let's start out with the ultimate question.......what are you struggling with? There's a little bit of learning like any new platform or OS but once you know your way around you'll be asking yourself how you've stuck it out with Blackberry for so long.....

Jgo113#IM

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
maybe im just having bbm withdrawls ... i can see this phone has endess possibilities, just customizing to my liking is a bit tough. im searching around for droidx stared threads just to get familiar with the basics but really i just need to understand what this phone does that makes it a top of the line phone ... believe me i want to love my droidx, just not there yet

DougFNJ

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Change can be hard, especially when it comes to technology. The customization can be the fun part. I would definitely encourage you pop Droid X into the search box to see the many videos out there that can get you started.

Just to kick you off on the basics.....swiping left or right im sure you have realized will get you to 7 screens you could customize to your liking.

Put your finger on a blank screen and hold it until you feel it vibrate real quick. That's a long press. Tap on the widgets in either Android or Motorola and mess around to see which ones you will use. If you don't like something on the screen, long press that item and drag it to the bottom center until it turns red and let it go. This will get rid of that item.

I have my time and weather widget on the main screen on top. Below that I have texting and gmail settings and various programs I use regularly. To the left of that I have a full screen of programs I use regularly. To the left of that I have the settings widgets to turn on wifi, Bluetooth, gps, and airplane mode. I have widgets below that navigating to home, another for work, and my mothers and fathers house.

To the left of that I have 2 memo widgets. One with my NFL knockout pool picks, the other is blank for when I put in a parking lot section. To the right of the main screen I have my calendar widget sized to had the screen and I have the time widget on the lower half as it shows the full month. To the right of that screen I have a bunch of contact widgets filling the screen. To the right of that I have 3 photo widgets.

Take a couple hours, sit down and familiarize yourself with it. It's like a small computer. And do t be afraid to ask questions here....this site has been an excellent research tool.

ozzzy3z

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
If you want to spend a few dollars here are some great ways to add to the experience of enjoying your X:

* Purchase LauncherPro Plus. Great Blur replacement. Very customizable.
* Download Home Switcher. This will allow you to easily switch between LPP and Blur. Once you download LPP, use it to switch back to Blur and remove all icons and widgets. This will speed up LPP. Use Home Switcher to switch back to LPP.
* Purchase Beautiful Widgets. Enjoy a great selection of clocks w/weather.
* Purchase Switch Pro. Great add on that gives you a customizable system control panel (i.e. system volume, brightness, wifi, etc.) that goes well beyond what comes stock.
* Purchase Widget Locker. Much better than the stock locker on the X. Best of all - no lag.
* I also like Swiftkey keyboard over stock.
* Discover or create a wall paper to give your X a personalized feel. Wallpapers are very easy to create in Picasa. Simply choose an image - go to crop - select Customer Aspect Ratio - set it to 960 x 854. Crop the image and email to your phone. Once downloaded on the phone via email, use the menu button. Click on Wallpaper and find the image in Media Gallery.

I hope this helps. I too found the phone somewhat less than inspiring running Blur. With a little time and money (less than $20 in add ons) you will find the X to be a fantastic device.

zbban1#AC

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a BB Curve, I can say that the X is a great device...yes, it has soooo much to offer that, at times, may seem overwhelming to learn, but give it a chance and you'll be happy that you did. I know I am! I'm still learning and am on here asking questions and find that the members here are very helpful and friendly, even though I may seem rattled and frustrated with whatever problem I may be having.

Not sure if you'd be interested, but the following link is the user guide for the X. I read it through and found it helped me out a lot - I was new and lost, too, so just trying to help out a fellow BB convert. :)

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...e/Droid%20X%20User%20Guide.pdf&token=z12UlnMY

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I was slightly overwhelmed with Android at first, too, and I can understand you're frustrated. But I'd definitely second looking at videos of the X.

BigGA

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
SIZE does matter! LOL. . . you just got to love the screen size. I too came from the BB Storm2 and after several replacements I had one that finally worked excellent. . . Bought my X on launch day. Do I miss my BB. . . not anymore. LOL

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
It Is very Important to go through all of your settings...it helps learn your phone and sets it up well enough to do the basics...Also Google android tips and tricks...There are a few articles that will really help get you moving....also google android must have apps... Have fun and good luck.

guitarplayer

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I came from the BB Tour. Took me a week to get it set up the way I wanted, now I could never ever go back.
Screen 1: my work screen. it has navigation, google voice search, Where, Bloomberg financial, Maps, calendar, personal email, work email, browser, text messig, aka notepad, company voice mail and personal voice mail

Screen 2: my 12 phone contacts all as little icons for one touch dialing, Where, WeatherBug, browser, and Gallery

Screen 3: my airline travel page: Southwest, Orbitz, Delta, Weatherbug, calendar, power off widget, text msg, browser, Marriott, Laquinta, Hilton

Screen 4: party screen!!! ESPN scores, Pandora, TuninRadio, Flashlight, google search, Android forums, Acoustic guitar forum, Electric guitar forum, Amp forum, facebook, callerie counter, Bible, Barcode, FM radio

other screens are just catch alls.

karmiccalamity

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
The only problem I have with the voice controls is my very southern accent. What I say and what it "hears" can be very comical. Good for laughs, though.

lols..one of the guys that works for me tried to use it like you said very comical :p
and i tried using the google translator speak option with some of the spanish guys and they allways laugh when when they hear her talk

wabadroid

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
The only problem I have with the voice controls is my very southern accent. What I say and what it "hears" can be very comical. Good for laughs, though.
Same here, funny thing, it just won't recognize "y'all" no matter how many different ways I say it....damn Yankee technology...=)

theRamseyBRAT40

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Boy, if you have never owned or operated a smartphone before.......YOU ARE MISSING OUT!!!......GET ONE NOW!! This DROID IS ROCKIN!!! I found that the best way to get to know how to use this wonderful machine is to just start playing with it:> Love this DROID!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38