BB to DX, What's missing on the DX

Charmed Juan

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I miss the ability to make folders in the app drawer. I don't like scrolling through an endless page of apps.
On my Storm, I had a folder for utilities, Tools, Communications, Social networking, etc.

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Please tell me how. I have tried to figure it out on my own but I am missing something here

If you're using Launcher Pro (and I recommend you do), long press the icon of choice in the tray. Select change shortcut and note that any of the file explorers you may have downloaded (like Astro, EStrong File) will come up as an option. You can then select any folder/file collection you have on your phone.

Hope this helps.

maurilax

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
BBM - Obvious

Berry Buzz - There is no real way even using the combination of apps to get the same effect that I had with Berry Buzz on my Storm. The lights are far less customizable and I don't think there is any app that works for IMAP email. Also I used to have some combination of lights that were for specific contacts and it doesn't seem like there is a way to do this.

Spell Check - This is actually extremely ridiculous and unacceptable. I realize there is an in line spell checker (which actually doesn't seem to work that well)
but on my 9550 i would get those red lines under misspelled words. also to not have an option to spell check a whole email at the end is crazy.

(check out this post on Google Code Issue 4939 - android - Support spell-checking when typing with the hardware keyboard - Project Hosting on Google Code)

Skype - I use Skype for work. I have tried both the Verizon version and the Skype version from the app store. neither seem to stay logged in for an extended period of time. this causes an issue when I leave my computer during the day and expect to be able to get Skype IMs from team members and constantly have to make sure I'm signed in as not to miss anything.

That said I really do enjoy this phone, and although none of these issues are deal breakers for me, it is frustrating that such simple things plain don't work.

Hosehead

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have been on a Droid X for a few months now after using a Storm 2 for 8 months.

I no longer miss BerryBuzz, as some of the above solutions have been suitable replacements...

The only thing I want to see is SocialScope for the Android.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
For me, I miss only one major thing:

BBM - This is by far the biggest thing I've missed. I've tried most major apps out there for Android and nothing comes close to BBM. What I, and my friends, miss the most from it is true instant push messages and always-on group chat. When we all had Blackberries, my friends and I heavily used our BBM group in chatting, coordinating whatever we did, sharing photos, etc.

--GTalk is okay, but not always "on" and group chats aren't always logged in either. We've tried Yahoo IM, Trillian, and ebuddy, but they're just not that good at groups and group chats.

--PingChat is what we currently use now, but it's not without its own problems. We use it because it's cross platform since a few of our BB friends haven't made the Android jump (yet) and one of our friends is also on iPhone. But the notifications and push messaging system are atrocious. Sometimes I won't even receive group chat messages, or I'll receive them hours and hours later in a clump of 30 messages. The devs could do so much with it and make it THE preliminary multiplatform chat program, yet it rarely receives updates and I haven't heard anything about what they plan to do with it.

I'm still waiting for something better.

Others:
-BerryBuzz I don't miss as much. Although I liked the colored lights, Android's notification bar is a great quick way to see what new message I've gotten.
-I do miss the BB physical keyboard (Tour), though Swype is great. Maybe the new Droid Pro's keyboard will be tempting.

memphisteve

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I miss having the ability to set a homepage on the native browser - a new iteration of which the browser opens to when started. (I realize that wasn't some cool thing that just my Storm did... IF I'M REMEMBERING CORRECTLY, EVERY BROWSER ON EVERY DEVICE I'VE EVER USED HAD THIS ABILITY, UNTIL THE DROID X) :(

RedDeltas88

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a difficult time with copy/paste while browsing sites. I hope it's just a case of missing something basic.

Kik messenger seems to have a certain amount of functionality of BBM. At least as far as S, D, R goes.

Goldwinger

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Please tell me how. I have tried to figure it out on my own but I am missing something here

Yeah, I missed that also, but found a multitude of ways to do it on the DX.

1. You can create a folder on the home screen and then just drag programs into it. Press and hold on the home screen, you'll get some options, choose folders, new. Once that's done and you're back at the home screen, just drag any programs on the home screen over the top of the folder and it will be placed in the folder. Open the folder by choosing it and your program should be right there.

2. Another thing you can do is use Smart Shortcuts. I love this program and it has way too many options for me to put in this post, so give it a try if you like to have lots of options. I use it for quick access to phone numbers and apps and you can nest folders within it. It's a great program.

3. You can use your home screens to control your programs. If you use Launcher Pro you can have up to 7 screens. One of these screens can hold your programs by type. To further make it effective, use Multicon and you can get multiple apps in the space of one icon. So row one could contain 16 or more apps for games. Row two could be for utilities, row three.......you get the picture.

One other thing, if you use Launcher Pro Plus, you will be able to increase the rows and columns of the home screen, say to five columns and five rows, so using Multicon you would be able to get 20 apps on one row.

Like I said, lots and lots of ways to skin that cat with a DX and Android. The fun part is finding out how to do it. Then comes the hard part, which way do I use. :p

Hope this helps.

Goldwinger

3dmonkey#CB

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
Get Zeam - it's in the App Store. It's faster than Launcher Pro and there's no charge for the Plus version because there isn't one!

OMG - one thing I don't miss about my BB was truncated emails.

Sound profiles are wayyyy simple now with Volumer++ from the AppStore.

BBM - not so much. Now that really drained the battery - especially in some of the more active BBM groups I belonged to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol