Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Gallery Not Opening in 2.2 Anymore

For some reason, I can't open the gallery anymore. I went to go look at some of my pictures via the standard gallery app on my phone and the phone displayed the spinning circle and said it was loading images. After a few minutes, the app closed itself with no error message. Now, if I click the gallery app, it opens for a brief moment and closes itself.

I tried to find any corrupt images on my sd card, nothing. I tried deleting the gallery data, nothing.

The only workaround to viewing my pictures is to open Vignette and go to the gallery via that. Has anyone else run in to this issue before?
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,634 Global Posts

Have you tried a battery pull? Take out the battery, let the X sit for at least a minute, then battery back in and turn on. Normally, takes care of most glitches. Worth a try.

Also, there might be a conflict with Vingnette and the native app. Try taking Vignette off. A battery pull would still be advisable after the uninstall.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Tried a battery pull, still does the same thing where it attempts to look on the SD card for media then the app closes.

Tried uninstalling Vignette and doing a battery pull, same thing as before.

Edit:
    I created a .nomedia file in my pictures folder, and the gallery could load. I am going to see if I can figure out if a certain picture is causing it or something...
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

It looks like any time there is a directory with a picture file in it that the Gallery app can see, the app will crash. When I place the ".nomedia" file in to all directories with pictures in them, I am able to open the application.

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

So I tap on Gallery.. It opens up and then immediately closes ? I tried the battery pull. I have backed up all the photos, but would be nice to see them on the phone. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions??
    Thanks,
    Sean

Here is my post that explained the issue and solution....

http://forum.androidcentral.com/moto...se-issues.html

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

I tried deleting everything that was mentioned. Nothing worked. The gallery seems fine until I get to the last 30 pictures or so, then it crashes. Any suggestions?

I had this issue once a while ago. Not sure what I did but it fixed itself on its own.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

I had the very same thing happen to me this morning. I called Verizon and he had me do all the normal things (reset phone, battery pull, unmount sd card) and none of these things worked. The rep had me do a master reset on my phone. It fixed the problem, but was a pain.

PS He seemed to think Launcher Pro was the problem, but Im not so sure

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

I had the same problem and found a simple fix:

Some apps (especially Glu games...looking at you Gun Bros.) install a small .jpg image file as part of their install. All you have to do is delete this image and all will be well.

Do this:

Plug your X into your computer via USB and search your image folder. Look for an image that doesn't belong...it's usually the one with the different naming convention, and one that you know you didn't put there. Delete it, unhook from USB and launch your gallery!