Suddenly: No signal at work

Clemsonpablo

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so yesterday morning while I was at work, my phone stopped working well. Normally here I get 4 bars, right now the signal is mostly 1, sometimes 2 bars. Basically the data doesn't work at all, although sometimes in spurts. Sometimes it will show that its uploading/downloading, but it won't be achieving anything. So, I was thinking maybe a tower was down or something. I leave work, it works fine on drive home and at home (and it had drained my battery from the weak signal all day). Come in today, playing on it the whole way in...and once I get outside the town I work in the signal just drops again...basically becomes useless. So I ask the guy that sits next to me at work, who was a Droid X...his has 4 bars, is working fine. Other people with non-X VZW phones are getting full signal. I've rebooted twice, done *228...this is really baffling as to what the problem could be. It's like I'm somehow booted off the closest tower or something. Like I said, it works until I get into this area.

Any thoughts or ideas? I'm stumped.

Edit: Froyo 2.2, and I've never rooted or done any of those shenanigans. Had the phone without this problem for nearly 3 months now.

SuperSJB

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I registered JUST NOW to say that I have the same problem. I thought it might be because I was recently sent a refurbed phone and something might be wrong with it. But I do not have any signal here at work neither! It fluctuates from 1X to very low 3g signals. Mostly stays at 1X though, with no bars.

Goldwinger

May 8, 2010
Visit site
+1 on the complaint. Places where I normally get 4 bars suddenly drop to 1 or 1X and I can't figure out why.

I turned on voice annunciation for loss of signal (I work in some places where signal is bad no matter what and I want to put it in Airplane mode when this happens) so that I'd know when it's dropping and the phone is singing to me all the time.

Gonna do a *22899 to see if it helps, but my guess is that I'll have to do a full factory reset. I upgraded to 2.2 without having to do a factory reset and up until this, was working pretty good. Does anyone out there have this problem who has done the factory reset?

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
At about 12:30 pm PDT, my normally 3G signal dropped to 1X as well ... hadn't seen that before. Wonder if there's something cosmic going on, as in sunspot activity that interferes with radio waves??

Went back to 3G on its own by 1 p.m.

miller7796

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I have been experiencing this problem as well, primarily at work. Some coworkers have been having issues as well with their phones (both Android and others). A couple calls to Verizon have yielded nothing but "update your PRLs" which I had already done prior to calling. Finally, after sitting on hold waiting for tech support, somebody acknowledged that there was a problem with a tower in my area, but it had been fixed. Except, I am still having problems, as are my coworkers.

Clemsonpablo

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have been experiencing this problem as well, primarily at work. Some coworkers have been having issues as well with their phones (both Android and others). A couple calls to Verizon have yielded nothing but "update your PRLs" which I had already done prior to calling. Finally, after sitting on hold waiting for tech support, somebody acknowledged that there was a problem with a tower in my area, but it had been fixed. Except, I am still having problems, as are my coworkers.

they're basically rattling off anything to get you off the phone. they don't have answers. so annoying.

mine seemed to work for a bit this morning, then I left and came back, and now its crap again.

alcor34

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I have been having the same issues in Manhattan NY in places where i know for sure in the past i had a strong 3g signal, then all of a sudden a week or two ago it dropped to 1x and hovers, sometimes so low that i don't even have data coverage like i'm not even on the network. It's really annoying.

ES3204

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
SAME problem here! I'm in Orlando, FL. It only happens at work, however I'm noticing my 3G signal disappearing occasionally at home too. I actually get no internet connection at all while at work. I have yet to do a factory reset, but I've tried everything else: *228, battery pull while off, battery pull while on. Has anyone had any help from support? Should I just get a new phone? This is my second. The first one's camera broke and they sent me a "certified like new" refurb phone. Help!

SuperSJB

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I was issued a brand new phone since the last time I posted in this topic, and I still have issues with signal at work. Some days it will be fine but today I am getting NO signal whatsoever! Does anyone know why/have a solution?

miller7796

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I think it has finally been fixed for me. It took three calls to tech support and they finally acknowledged there are problems with a tower by my office. Yesterday seemed to be a pretty good day as far as holding on to a 3G signal went. Will see if it lasts.

Edit: Spoke too soon. I've been on 1X/no data most of the day since my initial post. Will try the *18 trick and see if that helps.

Last edited:

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Try dialing *18 , sometimes that helps , connects you to the closet tower to you at the time you dial that number . It isn't exactly like the *228 or *22899

This is just a 2 second flash screen that pops up and goes away on its on , no action required . ;)

Reactions: rew001 and p08757