Camera Quality

sbbytor

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
OK I just switched from a Storm2. That phone had a 3.2 megapixel camera and I have to say it took pictures that blew this phone away.

Anyone have some suggestions how too improve the quality of this camera. at 8 megapixels it should be epic quality but alas it is not.

thanks for any help.

sb

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Step one: Google MegaPixel Myth and do some reading. I normally can't stand Ken Rockwell but this one he's got more right than usual. If all other things were equal a 3.2MP camera will produce much better results than a 7MP camera when viewed on a computer screen (computer screens are closer to 1.3MP at a typical 1280x1024, my widescreen display is only 2MP at 1920x1080).

Step two: What types of pictures are you taking? Can you post examples from the Storm and X? Are you seeing noise? Fuzziness? Are you using the flash? Are you using the stock camera application? In Auto mode?

unseenme#WN

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree with ya...those cameras on the Storms took awesome outside pics, but sucked ROYALLY on inside & low light pics. But honestly I don't expect professional quality pics from any phone camera.

JSE

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Vignette is a great camera app that really does a great job on photo quality and also has some cool editing modes as well. It's much better than the standard camera in the X. I use Vignette as my default camera now and it's really cheap. You can get the light version as well which is free. However I can't speak for the light version performace. I just bought the full version from the get go.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
It's a phone, with a camera...not dedicated camera. That said, I think it takes excellent shots. You have to make sure the lens cover is clean and you have to hold the phone VERY still when you take the shot. Some lighting works better than others, but don't forget...it's a phone. Megapixals don't mean jack. It's all about the lens and the size of the digital chip that captures the data. It's a phone.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm very happy with the camera on this phone. Of course my dedicated Canon camera is a bit better at pictures, but the phone is in my pocket, and available wherever and whenever I need it, and the picture quality is quite adequate. Also, the Canon absolutely refuses to make phone calls, handle email, play songs, text, upload pictures and videos, etc.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Vic is spot on, this is a phone first, camera second. The fact that it can do so much and still perform exceptionally well in all categories says that there's nothing wrong with it.

If you think your Storm took better quality pictures, then it sounds like you're doing something wrong. Either shooting in extremely low light, smudged up lens glass, or other possibilities like shakey shots, too high of ISO, or all sorts of random variables. But trust me, this phone does not take bad shots at all. They're quite good if you know how to work it just right.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
MP don't mean much. The more MP you got the bigger the print can be without distorting. Alot has to do with the quality of the lens an the lowest setting for iso. I may zip tie my X to my Canon dslr that would improve my photos :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

sbbytor

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I bought the Vignette and it seems much better then the stock camera.

In all most of you are right. it's a phone and it is what it is.

thanks again.

sb

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Just because it's a phone doesn't mean the camera should suck.

The camera doesn't suck. If you're getting poor results, try to improve your picture taking skills...keep the lens clean and the hands steady. But it's still a phone. It's like putting a trailer hitch on a saturn and using it to tow your ski boat. It works, but not as well as hauling it with a truck. The saturn will get the boat from a to b, but you're going to find a few boat ramps that it just can't handle.

If you need superior quality pictures, then you need to bring your real camera to the shoot. The digital sensors required to produce high quality images would cost twice as much as the phone. That doesn't begin to account for a quality lens. Enjoy what you have and make it work.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I used Vignette with 2.1 and it was a huge improvement over the stock camera. Since the 2.2 upgrade, I haven't installed Vignette because the stock camera seemed a lot better. Do you get better photo quality using Vignette on 2.2 ?? Be interested to know if it's worth re-installing.

guitarplayer

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
The camera doesn't suck. If you're getting poor results, try to improve your picture taking skills...keep the lens clean and the hands steady. But it's still a phone. It's like putting a trailer hitch on a saturn and using it to tow your ski boat. It works, but not as well as hauling it with a truck. The saturn will get the boat from a to b, but you're going to find a few boat ramps that it just can't handle.

If you need superior quality pictures, then you need to bring your real camera to the shoot. The digital sensors required to produce high quality images would cost twice as much as the phone. That doesn't begin to account for a quality lens. Enjoy what you have and make it work.

Oh please, the camera sucks in medium light compared to cheap cameras out there. My BB tour took much better pics than my DX. No contest.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Oh please, the camera sucks in medium light compared to cheap cameras out there. My BB tour took much better pics than my DX. No contest.

I think some of you here must have eye problems, or your partially re tarded. This PHONE is no high end camera, but perfectly adequate for a cell phone camera. Maybe your expectations were too high when you heard 8 megapixels. Have any of you looked through the 400 plus post in this thread:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-x/22993-lets-do-post-pictures-taken-your-droid-x.html

Plenty of great shots in there, as well as some useful instruction. But if the camera that's in your phone is so important to you, then switch to a different phone. No need to whine and suffer.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I've found that if your lens is getting any direct light on it, your images can have a flat, low contrast, glare like result. Try using your free hand to put the lens in shadow and everything looks better/richer.

rjdangerous

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I never said the camera sucks, I was replying to another post about someone stating that it's only a phone the camera shouldn't be good.