New Droid X Member

robwilson

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, I took the plunge and got the X today. I must say I am impressed. Nice big screen. All my contacts came over, just got to sync my calendar with my home computer.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
First...Welcome. You'll love this phone.

I used Outlook for contacts and calendar since Outlook was invented. I switched to a gmail account (have 3 pop addresses being forwarded there) for both the gmail calendar and the contacts. It was the 2nd best tech decision I've ever made, the best was leaving bb for android. You should jump on it. Seamless and instant syncing with your X...no more wires. Plus, you get on any computer, any where to access your info.

robwilson

May 3, 2010
Visit site
But, when I send from gmail from a forwarded account, will my forwarded account email address show up? Gmail is not my main account.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
There are ways around that. If you only have one email address (name@abc.com), then gmail lets you set up a default "from" address that will show up. so that no one sees name@gmail.com. If you have multiple email addresses forwarded to gmail, then whenever someone sends you an email, gmail will automatically resond with the "from" being whatever the address was that it was originally sent to. If you ever need to compose an email from your phone from one of those other addresses, you can use K-9 (a free email app) that lets you set up multiple "from" addresses and you can pick the one you want to use. Some people love K-9 and only use it anyway (instead of the stock email app).

Also, if you're on a computer doing email, the computer version of gmail also lets you set up multiple "from" addresses that you can select from when composing a new email.

It all works out. Dropping Outlook, though scary for me because I used it for so long, was a piece of cake. I synced all my contact/calendar info to gmail one morning 6 months ago, and have never opened Outlook again. Try it...you can always go back.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I second this info. Using your Gmail account as the "clearing house" for email, contacts and calendar is incredible! Everything syncs instantly between the X and your computer, in both directions. Change either the X or your gmail account on your pc.

I, too, used Outlook at first and finally realized that was only one more step - and not necessary. Goodby Outlook!

You will LOVE your X. Had mine since it first came out and will play with it like it was brand new. Always amazes!

robwilson

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the information! What I decided to do is just sync my calendar with gmail and get my verizon mail with my droid. Everything is working great and I love the way that google calendar sync works with my outlook. The gmail account is really my junk mail account. Dont really use it for much.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Actually, you don't have to use it at all ... for email purposes. I've just started changing over pop3 emails to gmail - just for the sake of simplicity.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the information! What I decided to do is just sync my calendar with gmail and get my verizon mail with my droid. Everything is working great and I love the way that google calendar sync works with my outlook. The gmail account is really my junk mail account. Dont really use it for much.

If you drop Outlook and only use gmail for email, contacts and calendar, I think you'll be very pleased with how seemless it all is, and the syncing is instantaneous. If you add/change contact or calendar data on the phone or the pc, it's in sync a few seconds later. Right now, your Outlook is just functioning as an extra step.

ricf

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Will Pay for Help Deoid X Outlook Sync

I need someone that knows what they're doing to help me step by step to set up Sync between Outlook and my Droid X - contacts and calendar - don't tell me to chuck Outlook and speak English. Help me through Outlook and Droid settings.... I don't need anyone to help me figure it out - I need someone that says do this .... now do that ... now do this .... etc ....
RicF rf@yesaz.net

ajmac

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I need someone that knows what they're doing to help me step by step to set up Sync between Outlook and my Droid X - contacts and calendar - don't tell me to chuck Outlook and speak English. Help me through Outlook and Droid settings.... I don't need anyone to help me figure it out - I need someone that says do this .... now do that ... now do this .... etc ....
RicF rf@yesaz.net

Im in the same position as ricf but I will try to have a little more courtesy towards the people on this forum.
If there is anyone that would be willing to go through the step by step procedure of dumping outlook and setting multiple email addresses up in Gmail, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz