Why can't I find Overclocker and Satellite Flybys in the Market?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
First, an important question...You're say that I should download the OTA Market Fix - w/ Mods even though I'm not on the OTA 2.2, but running the original leak 2.2. It should still be OK to install the OTA Market Fix - w/ Mods?

Now to your other suggestions (but don't forget to answer the first question). Until trying to find these two apps in the market today, I've not had a single problem with the 2.2 leak. I believe it has bugs, but for the things I do on my phone, I don't see them. I don't have any objections to bloatware...I never use it, but it causes me no pain being there. If I were to install an actual ROM (not just the build.props), what would you recommend that would also be the easiest for me to install. I don't have another day to screw around rebooting my phones 17 times while searching the net for solutions to my idiocy. If there was something that ran great, and could be installed pretty quick without requiring me to rebuild my phone from scratch, I'd be interested.

Thanks.

Last edited:

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Thinking more about it all (but anxious for the answer to that first question in the previous post), I'm very interested in updating my leak, but like I said, I'm really not wanting to get stuck ****ing around with my phone again for another day. Sometimes, quick and easy can't be had, but that's what I want if it's available. An update sounds nice to me, but I'm really not wanting to have to re-root, re-install all my apps, and reconfigure all my home screens and settings.
Any semi-simple solutions for me?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
OK El Poblano, if you come back to this thread and you have the time, tell me what I should upgrade to, and the easiest way to do it. Step by step if possible and don't assume I know too much.

Right now I'm running the original 2.2 leak with no mods/ROMS. I'm rooted with Unstable Apps Easy Root (because I like the simple things) and have Koush's Bootstrap (just made a nandroid backup yesterday), Root Explorer, Titanium backup (fresh backup of that as well) and now I also have the premium version of ROM Manager.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
If u want a easy plain 2.2 that I have no problems with use flyX. Others skin and theme them up. flyX is not. It just deletes some junk like blockbuster. Then u can build prop and theme as you like. Or just check for the update ota 2.2

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
OK El Poblano, if you come back to this thread and you have the time, tell me what I should upgrade to, and the easiest way to do it. Step by step if possible and don't assume I know too much.

Right now I'm running the original 2.2 leak with no mods/ROMS. I'm rooted with Unstable Apps Easy Root (because I like the simple things) and have Koush's Bootstrap (just made a nandroid backup yesterday), Root Explorer, Titanium backup (fresh backup of that as well) and now I also have the premium version of ROM Manager.

Haha no worries, however, you'll have to sit painfully and listen to me blabber about this and that.

1. You'll be fine with the OTA 2.2 build.prop. So Android is based on Linux (still uses the Linux kernel). The great thing about Linux is that nearly all the innerworkings are stored in text documents. The build.prop is one of these text documents. You can actually open it yourself and adjust different settings (the system ID, VVM, Dalvik heap size etc...). The reason why you can't see the entire market is that your device's fingerprint ID is that of the leaked ROM which was never allowed access to protected apps on the market. So, Beesley's mods have fixed this issue by replacing the leaked fingerprint with another, allowed fingerprint. The other mods are a bit more technical, but will increase battery life and performance modestly.

2. ROM selection can be difficult, as each have their pros and cons. Personally, I have found Rubix 1.0 Focused to be the best fit for me. I have tried all the current nonblur ROMS, but haven't used any Blurred ROMs since the leak.
If you give me an idea more on what you're looking for in a ROM (level of customization, etc), we'd have a point to jump from to get you into the perfect ROM for you.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
As to the perfect ROM, I just want the most bug free. I don't do anything specialized on my phone, but I don't care if blur crap is there or not. I do want the phone to run as fast as possible while remaining stable and have a good day plus of battery life (which I easily get now, especially with the extended battery). I use my browser a lot (xScope). I don't care at all about the sorting of my text, as I text something and then delete the text and any response. I'm connected to Wireless a lot as well as using Wireless Tether when traveling in the car. I'm also not one of the people who likes to change my phone/ROM every other day (Ihaven't changed my wallpaper in 2 months, and may never again). I like to get my phone running well and leave it alone.

In a perfect world, I'd like to find something that I can install in 30 minutes because I'm tired of ****ing around with my phone.

As stated, I'm currently on the original leak, but a few days ago, I downloaded the 2.2 OTA sbf and RSDLite 4.8. Don't know if I need that, or if it matters, but I thought I'd tell you. I've never flashed an sbf.

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
As to the perfect ROM, I just want the most bug free. I don't do anything specialized on my phone, but I don't care if blur crap is there or not. I do want the phone to run as fast as possible while remaining stable and have a good day plus of battery life (which I easily get now, especially with the extended battery). I use my browser a lot (xScope). I don't care at all about the sorting of my text, as I text something and then delete the text and any response. I'm connected to Wireless a lot as well as using Wireless Tether when traveling in the car. I'm also not one of the people who likes to change my phone/ROM every other day (Ihaven't changed my wallpaper in 2 months, and may never again). I like to get my phone running well and leave it alone.

In a perfect world, I'd like to find something that I can install in 30 minutes because I'm tired of ****ing around with my phone.

As stated, I'm currently on the original leak, but a few days ago, I downloaded the 2.2 OTA sbf and RSDLite 4.8. Don't know if I need that, or if it matters, but I thought I'd tell you. I've never flashed an sbf.

Well, good news... You won't have to flash an sbf! This is going to be easy.
So, now that I have an idea abou what you may want, you will have one more choice to make. The one issue with current ROMs is that the pace of new releases is incredible. This may cause an issue for you, as each new ROM often (but not always) requires a wipe of the data/cache, meaning all your programs will have to be reinstalled. However, you are by no means required to update to each new version, but each is generally more stable than the last. Fission, for example, went through 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 in a week and a half. However, I have found Rubix to be exceptionally stable (the dev is VERY active, all issues have been addressed promptly), I would recommend it. Of course I may just be biased, but I think its the best currently available (seriously fast, stable, and the coolest boot animation outside of FlyX).
If this sounds like something you're interested in, the process is a piece of cake. Seriously.
1. Open ROM manager.
2. Select Download ROM
3. Select Drod2169
4. Select rubix Focused 1.0
5. Select Download
6. Choose your desired keyboard (they both work)
7. Choose your desired camera app (again they both work)
8. Select BOTH BACKUP AND WIPE! (You absolutely need to wipe, and the back up is just in case)
9. Sit back and watch!
The good news for you is that this ROM is built of the newest leak (and some other things) but will have the stability of the newer leak.

So if all of this seems like too much, you can always sbf back to OTA, or install the 2.3.15 leak (which is technically the OTA but won't receive any updates OTA). Both of these are a bit more difficult, but not too bad. But, if the idea of flashing a ROM every so often is too much (I understand, I HATE redoing everything- just not as much as I love tinkering), one of these may be for you.

Reactions: greydarrah

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Couple of questions...

Google Maps is of critical importance to me...does it work like normal in rubix?

Do I need to deodex (or whatever that is)/

This isn't a deal breaker for me, but I've fallen in love with the Swype keyboard. Is that one of my options or can I get it on the phone a different way?

Finally, once I backup and wipe, then click the OK button, do I have to do anything else, like hold down the search key and make some volume button selections, or does it just shut down and reboot into the new ROM by itself?

One more..do you ever go through the trouble of unmounting your sd card before doing this?

Last edited:

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Couple of questions...

Google Maps is of critical importance to me...does it work like normal in rubix?

Do I need to deodex (or whatever that is)/

This isn't a deal breaker for me, but I've fallen in love with the Swype keyboard. Is that one of my options or can I get it on the phone a different way?

Finally, once I backup and wipe, then click the OK button, do I have to do anything else, like hold down the search key and make some volume button selections, or does it just shut down and reboot into the new ROM by itself?

One more..do you ever go through the trouble of unmounting your sd card before doing this?

You're in luck for all of those. Google Maps works like a charm, RubiX comes deoodexed (though just so you know, deodexing is only important if you plan on themeing), Swype comes packaged in, and no need to press any buttons or anything beyond what I wrote above (as long as you have already bootstrapped the recovery which I think you said you did). As for the sd card, I've never unmounted mine, and no problems yet.
Let me know if you have any issues (you could always PM me if I miss the thread or something), and good luck!
P.S. The difference between the leak and RubiX is night and day. You're going to love it.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
You're in luck for all of those. Google Maps works like a charm, RubiX comes deoodexed (though just so you know, deodexing is only important if you plan on themeing), Swype comes packaged in, and no need to press any buttons or anything beyond what I wrote above (as long as you have already bootstrapped the recovery which I think you said you did). As for the sd card, I've never unmounted mine, and no problems yet.
Let me know if you have any issues (you could always PM me if I miss the thread or something), and good luck!
P.S. The difference between the leak and RubiX is night and day. You're going to love it.

OK, this is my last one befor I start the upgrade...

Reagrding Bootstrapping. I have Koush's Bootstrap Recovery, but outside of making a nandroid backup, I don't really know what it's for. When you say that have already bootstrapped the recovery, does that just mean that before I launch Rom Manager I need to launch Bootstrap, then click the top button, then click OK, then close the Boostrap app, or do I need to go into Reboot Recovery also, and if so, what do I need to do while in Reboot Recovery before I start up ROM Manager?

Can I use my Titanium backup (after re-downloading it)to restore all of my apps and settings to save me some setup time?

Thanks for your patience and help.

Last edited:

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
OK, this is my last one befor I start the upgrade...

Reagrding Bootstrapping. I have Koush's Bootstrap Recovery, but outside of making a nandroid backup, I don't really know what it's for. When you say that have already bootstrapped the recovery, does that just mean that before I launch Rom Manager I need to launch Bootstrap, then click the top button, then click OK, then close the Boostrap app, or do I need to go into Reboot Recovery also, and if so, what do I need to do while in Reboot Recovery before I start up ROM Manager?

Can I use my Titanium backup (after re-downloading it)to restore all of my apps and settings to save me some setup time?

Thanks for your patience and help.

No worries man.
So, Koush's bootstrapper allows you to boot into a recovery other than stock (in this case Clockwork recovery). While the stock recovery (power and home button on boot recovery) will only let you flash (install) approved software, the Clockwork recovery will allow you to flash anything you want. The recovery only has to be bootstrapped (first option in Koush's program) once per ROM install. Hence, after you install each new ROM, you will have to bootstrap again.
However, if you have already bootstrapped, there is no need to do it again until you finish installing a new ROM and want to get back into the recovery. So for you, assuming you have bootstrapped the recovery, all you need to do is follow the instructions above.
However... Titanium Backup... This is something else altogether. Some people will swear by it, but I've had nothing but trouble. You may try to restore your apps, but theres no guarantee that they'll work properly. I often had to reinstall the apps (delete then reinstall) after using this because of fc or other issues. I don't believe you can cause any harm with it, but its not worth the effort to me.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting the exact same error, ending:

E:failed to seek in /cache/update.zip (Invalid argument)
E:signature varification failed

Ideas???

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Nevermind, I clicked the Flash Recovery in Rom Manager and re-did it and it's installing. I wish I understood what that did to make it work.

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Nevermind, I clicked the Flash Recovery in Rom Manager and re-did it and it's installing. I wish I understood what that did to make it work.

Ahh, clockwork recovery must have installed wrong the first run through, this isn't a normal occurrence, I guarantee you. But if its working now, congrats!

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Two things I noticed.

1. I used to have an icon that looked like a blue book with a magnifying glass on it. It was a contact app search app that I'm pretty sure was just a standard google app. It launched into a contact screen with a search box and the cursor was ready to type a search into. The app I'd gone.

2. The market won't let me download street view for google maps. It keeps saying the install was unsuccessful.

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Two things I noticed.

1. I used to have an icon that looked like a blue book with a magnifying glass on it. It was a contact app search app that I'm pretty sure was just a standard google app. It launched into a contact screen with a search box and the cursor was ready to type a search into. The app I'd gone.

2. The market won't let me download street view for google maps. It keeps saying the install was unsuccessful.

Contacts in the AOSP (Android Open Source Project) is integrated with the dialer app. This is actually more efficient as theres only one app to open to search for a contact and dial.

Street view having problems? I didn't have this issue, but maybe I can find out what is going on. If worst comes to worst we can try directly installing the .apk.
Also! The best part about this is the backup you made. I certainly wouldn't suggest giving up yet, but if at any point you don't like what happened you can always return to what you had, without the need to set up anything! The great thing about Android (modded, anyway lol) is that it is YOUR choice what you want to do.
Anywho, let me see about the street view issue.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
No, I'm loving this so far. But I did really like that contact search app.

If I make a nandroid backup right now, and I also have the backup of my previous 2.2 leak, could I switch between the two, keeping my set up got each as I switch?

Thanks a ton for all your help.

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Ahhh!!!.. So heres the deal. Streetview comes preinstalled, but its not registering with the market that you have it. Go ahead and try it out, it'll work even though it says it isn't installed. I have the same thing, just never noticed it.
Edit:
I didn't see your new post. Yes you can. A full nandroid restore can take about 5-10 mins and then the bootup is a bit long first time, but I did just that for a while whilst testing Fission. Nandroid backups are more than a life saver. Remember, you don't have to go into recovery to manage your backups, you can do all that from within ROM manager, and save a bunch of time (as well as rename them to more logical IDs). I currently have 3-4 backups of clean installed ROMs that I use when I get bored lol.

Reactions: greydarrah

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I just went into Rom Manager and selected Backup Current ROM, named it, said OK and it shut down for a minute or two. When it booted back up, all my home screen icons were gone, as were most of my LPP scrolling icons at the bottom of my 3 home screens (they just have a plus sign now). I've rebooted again, but still the same thing. Any idea what happened or how to get them back without re-setting up the phone? I did look in my app page and all of my apps are there, just no icons on the home pages.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I used Titanium Backup to restore Launcher Pro Plus and all my screen/icons were magically back in place. By the way, El Poblano, I also used Titanium Backup to restore all of my apps and their settings after flashing the new ROM last night. It worked perfectly and only took a couple of minutes. Much faster than setting up the phone from scratch and redownloading everything.

I feel like my ROM Manager backup must be screwed up though because of my icons all disappearing. Any thoughts as to why that happened?