What is the difference between...

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if this question has been asked/answered before or is common knowledge to anyone but an Android newbie like me, but what is the difference between...

1. Settings>Manage Applications>Running &
2. Settings>Running Services

A lot of the background running applications are in both lists, which makes sense, but some aren't. For instance...I have Google Listen in #1, but not #2.

Also, why are the storage amounts different? What I mean is, why in #1 does Skype mobile on my phone show 380KB & on #2 Skype mobile shows 2.3MB?

Again...sorry if this is a dumb question, I am still learning the Android system.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok the difference between the two in your first question is meaningless to the user, but means something to the system. I'll compare things to your PC for this. Basically when you turn on your computer, and let's say you're running Windows, you'll have services running in the background like network services or .NET framework services etc. These run in the background and you never really see them, but they are an integral part of the operation of the system.

Then you have applications. These are things like your web browser, any games you may run, AIM/MSN messenger etc. These can be opened and closed at the users discretion.

As for the memory size differences, I have no clue. I guess its just because one is the application's exe, the other is how much space it takes up in memory when it executes.