1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Installing Non-Market Apps

I just received an email offer from DataViz for the full version of Docs To Go 3.0 for $9.99, but I would need to purchase it and download it from their site, not the Android Market. I've never done that before.

I know there is a setting to allow the installation of non-Market apps from "Unknown Sources", but what are the pros and cons of doing this? Will the Market recognize it thereafter and allow me to get updates through the Market like everything else?

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this.

Thanks!
    Booberthecat

Droid X (Android 2.3.3 Stock)

A lot of devs will put their app on their site for cheaper because they have to pay the %30 to google for it being on the market. I've bought some apps straight from devs and the only difference is it downloads and you install it. No risk as long as the website is legit. Tasker is the same way.
    Droid X>Droid RAZR>Droid RAZR Maxx
    Follow me on twitter @jcdoeslife
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

But if I purchase it non-Market will I still be able to receive future updates through the Market or will they have to be manually downloaded and installed also?

Thanks
    Booberthecat

Droid X (Android 2.3.3 Stock)
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,628 Global Posts

The Market will only offer updates on apps you purchase from them. You should receive info from DataViz on updates and you will have to manually download them. Having apps from sources other than the Market won't affect anything you get from the Market ... or your ability to get updates on Market apps. Sometimes you have to get non-Market apps because of their country of origin or other factors. Market is selective.
    Always learning ...