SD Card...can't find how to access it

Insider

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
OK I am just a doofus, I have no clue how to follow some of your instructions on "just simply save it to a file on the SD card"...I can't even find out what is on my SD card, let alone make a folder on it. What am I missing? I have ringtones texted to me and they saved to my SD card, but I can't get them, no matter how hard I am looking for access to the card.

By going through ringtone settings it only lets me use Android or Zedge ringtones, no access to SD card anywhere. Can someone dumb it down for me? Thanks guys.

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
To access your SD card all you have to do is plug your Droid X into a computer. Make sure you mount the SD card by pulling down the notification shade and selecting the USB Connection panel.

Now if you go to "My Computer" you will see a removable drive appear, that will be your SD card.

You can also just remove it by taking the battery cover off and pulling it out then putting it into a computer.

To make songs a ringtone go into your music player, find the song, long press on it and choose to make it a ringtone.

You can also access it via a file explorer you can download from the market. But the easiest way to put thing on and take things off is to plug it into a computer.

kemo46

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
To access your SD card all you have to do is plug your Droid X into a computer. Make sure you mount the SD card by pulling down the notification shade and selecting the USB Connection panel.

Now if you go to "My Computer" you will see a removable drive appear, that will be your SD card.

You can also just remove it by taking the battery cover off and pulling it out then putting it into a computer.

To make songs a ringtone go into your music player, find the song, long press on it and choose to make it a ringtone.

You can also access it via a file explorer you can download from the market. But the easiest way to put thing on and take things off is to plug it into a computer.

I have found the card, which folder do you copy the songs/ringtones to? I added them to the download folder. I went to the music player and the ringtones are there. I long press the ringtone/song but there is no option for saving it to a ringtone. the options are play,add to playlist,delete and search. I tried all options. Please advise.Thank you.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have found the card, which folder do you copy the songs/ringtones to? I added them to the download folder. I went to the music player and the ringtones are there. I long press the ringtone/song but there is no option for saving it to a ringtone. the options are play,add to playlist,delete and search. I tried all options. Please advise.Thank you.

I have a folder on my sd card named Media. There are subfolders in there named Music, Ringtones, Videos, Notifications, Wallpaper. Put your ringtones in the Ringtones folder and they should appear when you select ringtones on your device.

kemo46

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
sd card

I have a folder on my sd card named Media. There are subfolders in there named Music, Ringtones, Videos, Notifications, Wallpaper. Put your ringtones in the Ringtones folder and they should appear when you select ringtones on your device.

I do not show a media folder. I have a data, dlna, download, albums and things like that.

Please advise.

kemo46

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Create the media folder & subfolders yourself.

That is easy enough but does not solve the problem. The current ringtones that are on the phone now, that is where I would like to save these so I can use the uploaded ringtones for incoming calls or alert messages. How can I get the uploaded ringtones in the alert sounds or the incoming sounds?

How can I assign different ringtones to people in my contacts? The phone does not seem capable of that or do I need to download an application?

Thank you for your help.

blackmage

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
You can change your ringtone(phone calls) , or you can change your notification tone(other things ie: text, gmail, etc) . These are seperate. You can change the notification tone in settings, or for a specific application in the application itself. It does not appear you can set a specific tone for a text from a specific person. (possibly an app, but have not looked) You can assign specific rintones for different callers. On the Droid X, go to contacts, edit, scroll to additional info, hit the arrow, you can assign a specific rintone from there.

If you want custom ringtones or notification tones, add these to the sd card. (ie: x:/media/notifications)

blackmage

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
NOTE: changing the notification tone for a specific app seems to reset itself when you reboot the phone. I would not get overboard with this or it will drive you MAD!!

EliWeiss

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

I use to plug it in to my computer and then click on removable disk in my computer but lately when i click it gives me a erro please insert a disk any clue ?

when i go on my device i can browse it thru a file explorer program

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
If you are rooted the best way to add ringers and notification alerts is to copy with Root Explorer to Media / System / Media / Audio and Notifications or Ringtones folders...

By placing them here you wont have any issues with the alerts on reboot.. Also this will place them in default alerts app to make them available to all apps.

You can assign specific rintones for different callers. On the Droid X, go to contacts, edit, scroll to additional info, hit the arrow, you can assign a specific rintone from there.

If you want custom ringtones or notification tones, add these to the sd card. (ie: x:/media/notifications)

Actually with GB the custom ringer option menu has changed... Now its Open Contact / Left Menu / Options / Ringtones

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463