Incredible to the X...who's done it??

jgurnett

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
So all of my Incredibles that I've had (yes, plural) have been having issues. Whether the power button won't work properly, or the bluetooth won't stay synced, and/or the phone just decided to shut itself off...guess it was sleepy...I've had some issues.

So, the happy folks at Big Red said that I should get into a different device so today I receive my Droid X.

My question to all of you wonderful folks in Android land, who else has made this switch? What are the key differences that are of note? Advantages, disadvantages?

Inquiring minds want to know!

irishguy0224

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I went from a inc to a fascinate to a DX.

From the inc to the DX the best thing that you gain is battery life and screen size. I couldn't get from 8am-4pm with moderate use on my inc without having to charge. I can get over 18 hours on a single charge on the DX.

Other than that though, they are pretty close to the same. And since i downloaded beautiful widgets i didn't loose the clock and the weather app so i am quite happy.

DougFNJ

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I went from a inc to a fascinate to a DX.

From the inc to the DX the best thing that you gain is battery life and screen size. I couldn't get from 8am-4pm with moderate use on my inc without having to charge. I can get over 18 hours on a single charge on the DX.

Other than that though, they are pretty close to the same. And since i downloaded beautiful widgets i didn't loose the clock and the weather app so i am quite happy.

I echo this entire post. Particularly adding the lack of bugs with this phone vs Fascinate and Incredible, and I will also add better phone quality vs most other smartphones I have used.

How have you adjusted to the larger size?

jgurnett

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info.

I haven't gotten mine yet, should be here by around 3pm EST, so I don't know how I'll adjust to the size.

How is the UI compared to Sense? Likes/dislikes?

irishguy0224

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
The UI on it is really nice honestly. I liked sense but the blur is pretty nice too and you get used to it.

I honestly don't have too much to gripe about with the X. I mean it's has it's quarks... but so does every phone.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I came from the Inc to the DX.

Right off the bat, first thing I noticed was the dull colors on the DX. Colors on the Inc jump out at you and i REALLY wish the DX had an amoled screen.

with that said, I like the docks, hdmi out, screen size, SWYPE!..

hate the physical buttons tho, and miss the optical trackpad. they should combine these phones to create the ultimate raging mega phone.

irishguy0224

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
See, for me i never once used the optical pad on the inc. I never saw a use for it. I will admit though that i do wish the screen was more like my fascinate was. That screen was amazing.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site

The Droid Inc isn't better than the DX for a number of reasons.

1. What good is 8 GB of space if you can't install apps to it? The Inc's 8GB of space is just that.. space.. for media.
2. HDMI-out-says-what?
3. chinsy back cover.
4. Whats up with a authentic car dock, or desk dock?
5. No swype. (out of the box)
6. Slower GPU.
7. Yeah it's got TV out.. if you like blurry composite video.
8. With 2.2 on both DX and Inc, DroidX still scores higher in benchmarks.

What the Inc DOES have is a more vibrant screen if you have the AMOLED version.. an optical trackpad for the coolness factor.. oh and playing Snake.

I like my Droid Inc, but my DroidX is better.

Last edited:

hls811

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I just made the switch from a Dinc to a DX last weekend and I couldn't be happier.. As someone above pointed out, the first different you'll notice is the screen - its very pale compared to the DInc - BUT, if you don't hold them side by side, you really won't notice. At the same time, I never felt that the DInc screen got unusable in direct sunlight, but side by side I can see a difference (the DX is better in that regard...)

As to the usage of the device, I like the keyboard on the DX better which really surprised me, because the DInc keyboard was the only thing that made me give up my Blackberry. The DInc keyboard is great, the DX is better. The predictive test seems to be better too, I find myself backspacing alot less to correct mistakes..

I never thought I used the trackpad much, but there have been times I went for it and its not there, so I guess I used it, but I'll be Ok without it.

Blur vs. Sense is a wash. Theres some features I liked with Sense (Peep specifically), but even on my Dinc I found myself using alternative apps to do the same things. One thing I do miss is the neat weater icon and how it did an animation of the current weather. I know theres an app I could get to make it do the same thing, but I like the look of the DX Weather widget too..

The DX battery life is much, better than the Dinc, that was my primary reason for switching. I'm a heavy user and I could kill the Dinc battery by lunch on some days. I always had a spare battery in my pocket and a charger on my desk. the DX just does better battery management.

Now, the biggest issue I have with the DX is that they flipped the menu and home buttons.. I have no idea why, but theres been a handful of times I meant to pull up a menu only to close out the app and go back to the homescreen.. I'll get used to it, but it would have been nice for them to just stick with a standard.. (I never had an original Droid, but it looks like they are re-arranged from that layout too, its not a Dinc thing only).

Oh - and finally - and a HUGE, plus for me: Accessories. A multimedia dock. a good car dock. I like having a place to put things and keep my areas neat. A business card holder worked well for the DInc, but I like having real, working docks to put this in when its not in my hands or pocket.

I loved my DInc, I had doubts about switching, but no way would I go back, to me the DX is ideal.

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
100 previous threads or no, new ones like these never fail to get a healthy response. That's because most of the posters here tend to have strong model loyalty and more experience than most with models they may not own personally (friends, colleagues, store-play, etc.)

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I speak from experience from personally owned devices.

I currently have a Dell Streak, Motorola Droid, Motorola DroidX, Droid Incredible, Motorola Backflip, and an HTC EVO 4G.. and that's just my Android phones..

I'm spoiled. :D

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I speak from experience from personally owned devices.

I currently have a Dell Streak, Motorola Droid, Motorola DroidX, Droid Incredible, Motorola Backflip, and an HTC EVO 4G.. and that's just my Android phones..

I'm spoiled. :D

Serial collector... gotta love it. I would love an HTC EVO as well, but Sprint service in these parts absolutely stinks.

TheAlmightyDrew

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
In the past four months, I have sampled all the big name phones that Verizon has to offer. I had the Droid Incredible for two weeks and I just sold it and bought a Droid X which should be at my doorstep on Friday. This will be the 3rd time in the past four months that I have owned a Droid X. I just keep coming back to it...

I had the iPhone 3G for a year and a half up until mid July when I decided to leave AT&T and jump ship to the Android wagon. After a lot of research, it came down to the Droid X and the Incredible. I decided to get the Droid X, but after a year and a half of having a 3.5 inch screen, it was tough to get used to the Droid X's size. After about three weeks of having the phone, I got the Droid 2 on release date. Honestly, it was a major letdown. I found myself missing the large screen and never even using the physical keyboard. In fact, I send so many emails and text messages in a day I found it cumbersome to actually have to keep flipping the device open and shut, and rotating it to type a message. This was at its worse when I was texting my girlfriend back and forth. I also missed the Droid X's camera and 720p video capture. I literally had it for three days before heading back to the Droid X. But then I hear of the Fascinate, and its amazing screen. I thought to myself, "4 inch screen sounds like a nice medium between the iPhone 3G screen I am used to and the Droid X's 4.3 inch screen." So when that came out, I got it. Unfortunately, call quality and reception was horrible on that thing. Absolutely horrid. Voices sounded muffled and people on the other line constantly complained that they couldn't hear me. Voices would cut in and out -- even when I was on the caller was using a LANDLINE and I was outside...There is no excuse for that. I also had three dropped calls in my two weeks with it. It honestly sounded like back when you were a kid and you would try to talk to your friend with those cups that were connected by string...Not to mention, the GPS was broken. After a ton of complaining, Verizon allowed me to have any other phone in their lineup for free. So I thought to myself, "Hey why not try out the Incredible now?" So I did. Unfortunately, the battery is horrid. With my usage, I am lucky to make it through half the day on that thing. Not to mention, audio for video capture sounded extremely distorted and muffled. I am a college student. I film a lot of crazy **** that happens on drunken weekends, so video is very important to me. I was on the bus with my friends heading home from a fun night, when Bohemian Rhapsody comes on the radio. All of a sudden, the entire bus filled with drunken students started singing. Naturally, I pulled out my Incredible and started recording because it was an amazingly hilarious moment. Unfortunately, the next morning I played it back and it sounded like ***. I was so pissed and that was the final straw. So here I am, ready to go back to the Droid X for the 3rd time. Just in time to record some good stuff from the Penn State game I am going to on Saturday. The funny thing is that this entire time I have been flip flopping phones, my girlfriend has been sitting pretty with her own Droid X just laughing at me. Each time I get a new phone, she says "Sooner or later, you will come back to the X. Just watch."

Ugh, when I tell her that I am getting the Droid X again she will never live this down. I think I am going to just stick with the Droid X until the HTC Desire HD comes to Verizon, or until the dual core processor LTE phones for Verizon start to come out.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I still have both the incredible and the dx and since upgrading to 2.2 on both phones the incredible is the better now.

The motorla is just to buggy and without Lp+ wouldnt have it still.Oh and the bugs im speaking of are all comfirmed bugs on motorolas website and here in dx forums to as others reported.

It will be the one replaced keeping the incredible

Im not sure if I will sell the dx or just scrap it outright.lol

Sent Using TaPaTalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair