New Droid X user but I am torn and here is why...

hucworld

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I just came over from Sprint where I was using an Epic 4G. While I didn't have 4G service in my area the phone itself was pretty nice. The keyboard was nice and needed. The processor was pretty sweet as well but something about the screen on the Droid X just lured me in. After purchasing the Droid X and playing with it, I can I have somewhat fallen in love with it. But there is that "it" wondering what would have been if I had gone with the Droid 2 or the Fascinate. I had the original Droid before and I loved it I can't lie. The keyboard was the biggest thing that wowed me or lured me in I should say. With the Fascinate I know what I am getting being that it was and is apart of the Galaxy S family. The screen resolution on that phone was beyond enamoring to me. All and all I love the Droid X...I guess I am looking for you guys to co-sign my decision on keeping it. Upon reading reviews on Phonescoop I see the Droid X out does the Droid 2 and Fascinate. Thanks in advance for the feedback guys.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
DX is still the best option from VZW I think.
I liked the keyboard with my old Tour but I quickly got over not having on.
My only gripe with the DX is the motor blur crud the load up and the non-capacitive buttons.
I rooted and threw rubix on so no more blur. I can live with the buttons.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Reactions: hucworld

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Why don't you just buy a few other phones on ebay and then you can swap back and forth with online activations as often as you like. Probably a little expensive, but it sounds like you are in a "grass is always greener" state and wont be happy with any single device.

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
What happened to your epic?
I have an epic myself and love it for the most part. I ask why because it just came out and you switched to Verizon.

If I were to be on Verizon I would have gotten the x. I wanted it. But my credit is shot and couldn't afford the down payment or whatever they call it.
I've played with my friends and I must say it is a good decision. Unless you need the keyboard and are planning to root your phone then I'd probably go with the fascinate despite the keyboard.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

curney

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Tried everything on vzn. X is the best if you don't absolutely have to have a keyboard. I have only had smartphones with keyboards before the X and thought I couldn't live without one but after a few months I wouldn't trade screen size and the higher res camera for it. I pulled out the tp2 yesterday and found I could type just ad fast on the X as on the tp2. It took me a few months to find the right kb. I like smart keyboard pro. 3 bucks. Love it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I love Swype on the X. Even though I came from an excellent Keyboard on the VZW Bold, Swype is really good. I need to try smart keyboard, I see a lot of people talking about it.

Honestly, if you are looking for affirmation, you are in the right place. I really love my X.

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I love Swype on the X. Even though I came from an excellent Keyboard on the VZW Bold, Swype is really good. I need to try smart keyboard, I see a lot of people talking about it.

Honestly, if you are looking for affirmation, you are in the right place. I really love my X.

Smart keyboard is really nice I recommend it to you and the op.
I feel I can type faster on the virtual keyboard coming from an iPhone to the epic. But I like my keyboard to. It depends on how I'm feeling. I can do without it but I enjoy the option.

And to the Guy above me, the x has a Tad bit higher resolution because the screen is long and narrow. It really is not much of a difference. And the fascinate screen does look better because its a super amoled display rather than LCD
However the x has bettery battery life because of it's LCD screen. The fascinates colors really pop though and has nice viewing angles.

And for the op the processor on the x is comparable to the galaxy s so don't sweat that part too much

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Reactions: hucworld

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

This is so true. Excluding Google's voice to text (which is awesome) Swype is faster than any other method of text entry. It takes a day or 2 to get used to (I hated it the first time I tried it), but once you get familiar with it, no other keypad can beat it.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
There are several threads on other forums about people who switched from the Fascinate to the X for various reasons. Most are happy and content with their decision, as am I (had the Fascinate for a little over a week on release day).

I'm also an original Droid owner, but I never liked or used the physical keyboard on the Droid.

Reactions: Johnly

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
And to the Guy above me, the x has a Tad bit higher resolution because the screen is long and narrow. It really is not much of a difference. And the fascinate screen does look better because its a super amoled display rather than LCD
However the x has bettery battery life because of it's LCD screen. The fascinates colors really pop though and has nice viewing angles.

Most reviews have indicated that the Super Amoled display has colors that are too bright with a slight artificial blue tint. Yes, it's better in direct sunlight, but colors are unnatural. I'd rather have the X with the better battery life and bigger screen.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
There is actually a mod called Voodoo Color for the Galaxy S phones that removes the blue tint and sharpens the text. It requires root, but makes a world of difference.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
My saga:

I was bored to death with my 3Gs. The iPhone4 had no appeal worthy of upgrade. Wanted the ability to customize so I tried Android. First up was the Epic. It convinced me Android was the OS for me. The phone and screen were amazing. Unfortunately, Sprint service was awful and I frequently has no signal or even when I did it was weak enough to drain the battery too quickly. Back it went.

Next up, the X and VZW. Loved it and kept it the full 30 days but returned it when the T-Mobile Mytouch4G was announced. Had the Mytouch 3 days, really missed the screen size on the X and T-mobile's signal was also lacking where I live. Back it went.

Got another X and couldn't be happier.

ThomasT626

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I switched from Verizon to Sprint for the Epic, and I have a similar "what could have been" attitude regarding the Droid X. So I'm just curious what you think the Droid X does better than the Epic? When I compare the two online, I don't really see the Droid X offering too much better. It seems like the Epic offers more and some nice additional touches in the software department, not to mention the amazing GPU and keyboard combo for emulator gaming. But that Droiiid marketing appeal simply has me wanting to try it out nonetheless.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Since froyo the DX has Failed to impress me , before froyo it was a stable device and everything functioned, after froyo not so much any more .
Hopefully the maintance update at the end of month or begining of Dec. corrects it back to its previous state , ;)

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Both of my X's have come with 2.2 preloaded so I have had ZERO stability issues. Comparing the Epic to the X, I found I didn't use the keyboard enough to justify the extra bulk. Battery life was less than adequate on the Epic but Sprint's crappy signal in my area probable contributed to that.

The Epic's display was simply gorgeous, no denying it. But the X's display is no slouch and the extra screen size minus the heft of the Epic more than makes up for it. Plus the X seems to be getting quicker updates than the Epic.

Reactions: Johnly

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
After purchasing the Droid X and playing with it, I can I have somewhat fallen in love with it. But there is that "it" wondering what would have been if I had gone with the Droid 2 or the Fascinate.

The only Verizon phone I would even consider right now other than the Droid X would be the Droid Incredible. I like the bigger screen on the X, so that's what I have.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Both of my X's have come with 2.2 preloaded so I have had ZERO stability issues. Comparing the Epic to the X, I found I didn't use the keyboard enough to justify the extra bulk. Battery life was less than adequate on the Epic but Sprint's crappy signal in my area probable contributed to that.

The Epic's display was simply gorgeous, no denying it. But the X's display is no slouch and the extra screen size minus the heft of the Epic more than makes up for it. Plus the X seems to be getting quicker updates than the Epic.

Sounds like you know how to use smart phones. Good for you! Pros use Froyo on the biggest baddest verizon droid out! (and all other droids too;)

_Zguy__

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
There is really no difference except 2.2 and the keyboard
Cameras are nearly identical
Screens are un noticeable difference