Guesses to when we'll see gingerbread for the DX

LastOstrogoth

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
As a recently reformed Blackberry owner, I have watched as Verizon has kept the Bold owners waiting for the OS 6. More recent models have come out with that OS in place, but the Bold which came out in June 2010 has yet to get it on the Verizon system. My sense with them is that they are very sensitive to the possibility of screw-ups that will overwhelm their tech support. Pushing an OS that has not been thoroughly tested by their people to insure its stability is a no-no. In general, they don't have much respect for the intelligence or abilities of their customers. One sign of the former is their way of recycling returned, defective units. In a ten month period I received three "factory Refurbished" units as replacements. All had major defects in basic functions, microphone, no BlueTooth, no GPS, not the kind of thing you would miss if you were testing a unit. I would guess that it will be a while before Droid X owners see an new OS.

chris861

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
In general, they don't have much respect for the intelligence or abilities of their customers. One sign of the former is their way of recycling returned, defective units. In a ten month period I received three "factory Refurbished" units as replacements. All had major defects in basic functions, microphone, no BlueTooth, no GPS, not the kind of thing you would miss if you were testing a unit. I would guess that it will be a while before Droid X owners see an new OS.

I'm glad to see someone else that feels the same way. I am on my fourth in five months. I just returned the last one I received because the phone was coming apart at the seam when I took it out of the box! Every time I have contacted them, I get the generic "turn your phone off and on following these directions or do a hard reset following these directions..." The point is that I shouldn't have to do a hard reset once a month and reset all of my settings to fix all of the glitches that should never occurr.

UltraDroid

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not personally counting on, or interested in an OTA update for my Droid X which brings Gingerbread. By the time that rolls around (if it ever does) the developers of Custom Roms will have extracted all the really cool stuff and included it in new or updated custom roms. THAT is what I'm looking forward to.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I doubt that it will be released for the X before I upgrade to a Droid Bionic, or X2, depending on what arrives first and has more appealing specs to me.

droidnewbie2011

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I caught the last AC podcast and Android Ashley made a good point that when there is a OS update instead of just pushing it to one phone, it should be pushed to all of the phones instead of just rushing to get the next letter OS out there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781