Slow Voice Commands

mad-dog74

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
When launching Voice Commands, mine is super slow to load to prompt me to say something. I have to wait so long for it to say "SAY A COMMAND" that I would be much quicker just to fumble thru and do whatever it is that I wanted to do.

Is this normal or is there something I can do to speed it up?

Sailmaker

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Voice Command Slow To Open: One Solution

After launching voice command, and the prompts finally become visible, instead of using the back button to get out of the app, just hit the home button.
Android OS will have Voice Command running in the background, but it won't use alot of battery since Android knows it's not being used as an active app unless you're actually using Voice Command.
So, when you select the Voice Command Icon, it will open almost immediately with a list of the prompts. I have both Voice Command & Vlingo running in the background and haven't notice any impact on battery life.

Reactions: Andy847

GatorPT

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
i find that Vlingo , an app in the market works so much better than the native google voice app. I have used this app ever since i was on blackberry . It works great with very little wait time .

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand what your talking about. If I hold down the search button on my X, about 1 second later its ready for me to say something.

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand what your talking about. If I hold down the search button on my X, about 1 second later its ready for me to say something.

They are talking about the Voice Commands app... not the Voice Search/google app voice commands function you get by holding down the search key.

Reactions: enb123

Trantzz

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I have been struggling with this issue for months. I will try to leave Voice Commands running in the background. How still this work with a blue tooth? Will voice commands automatic close after hanging a call up via head set? This is very frustrating...

Lurch81#AC

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I want to know how to make google voice be the voice app used when i press my bluetooth, i despise the voice commands app it blows compared to google voice commands

J-Dub#AC

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have been struggling with this issue for months. I will try to leave Voice Commands running in the background. How still this work with a blue tooth? Will voice commands automatic close after hanging a call up via head set? This is very frustrating...

Interesting I just saw this post tonight because it has been bothering me as well for the past couple months but I think I figured it out last night by dumb luck.

Open up Voice Command, tap the menu button>settings>shortcuts You will see a list of everything on your phone. Take a check mark out of every item that you would not use voice command for which for most would be everything except contacts if you just use it for calling. This is time consuming because after every uncheck it takes you to the top again. Give this is a shot and let me know if it works for you. I think once you have so many apps the voice command has to load everything and it bogs it down. I am no expert but it seems to have fixed the issue for me so hopefully it will do the same for you.

Rooski

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Interesting I just saw this post tonight because it has been bothering me as well for the past couple months but I think I figured it out last night by dumb luck.

Open up Voice Command, tap the menu button>settings>shortcuts You will see a list of everything on your phone. Take a check mark out of every item that you would not use voice command for which for most would be everything except contacts if you just use it for calling. This is time consuming because after every uncheck it takes you to the top again. Give this is a shot and let me know if it works for you. I think once you have so many apps the voice command has to load everything and it bogs it down. I am no expert but it seems to have fixed the issue for me so hopefully it will do the same for you.

Ironically, just this morning I tried this exact procedure, in search of a fix. At first I thought it had helped, but after a short while of doing other things, "voice commands" became sluggish, again, and it turns out that if I go look at the list of shortcuts, they are ALL checked, again. I repeated this a few times, but for some reason all the shortcuts are getting re checked all by themselves!

UPATE: I just looked again, and figured out that after unchecking the items, I have to again press the hard menu button and select "OK", before closing out.

I'll go thorough all the unchecking, again, and see how it goes!

ANOTHER UPDATE: Even after unchecking EVERY shorcut, the problem still persists, for me.

UPDATE # 3: Okay, after a reboot (after unchecking all the shortcuts), I think it may be better, now. I'll let it run like this, for a few days of normal use, and see if the sluggishness issue rears it's ugly head.

Last edited:

J-Dub#AC

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes I forgot to mention that you must hit menu button after unchecking everything and then hit OK before you back out of the screen. Sorry about that. As for me I thought this was a fix but two days later mine is slow again. So it may have been all for not let me no how it works for you still.

Rooski

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes I forgot to mention that you must hit menu button after unchecking everything and then hit OK before you back out of the screen. Sorry about that. As for me I thought this was a fix but two days later mine is slow again. So it may have been all for not let me no how it works for you still.

Yep, mine's still flakey, too. Oh well. It's a shame that such a nice device has to have a few stupid little annoyances.... gotta love that modern technology!

albertdc

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site

Thanks for sharing and I was excited and hopeful when I read this. Unfortunately I can also confirm that this did not actually speed things up for me. :( Oh well, worth the try. Hopefully voice dialing will be sped up the next time we get an update (whenever that may be....)

Posted from Droid X.

supermanage

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue after flashing a custom ROM to my HTC Inspire. When I hit home after using voice command it comes up instantly after that. So it isn't being started when the phone is started, so how do you add that start automatically as a service? Then the issue would theoretically never happen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1