1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default upgrade eligibility

I just ordered a Droid X to replace my iphone 3g, which has been crippled by each software update released to the point of a quick text message taking minutes to complete. I thought about waiting a little longer for the new phones coming out next year, but can't bear another minute with my current phone. Will the Android os updates be complete on this phone, unlike the limitations on the 3g iphone? I don't want to waste money on a phone that will be obsolete by the end of Q1 2011.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

one of the cool things with android is that manufacturers dont seem to want to shoehorn OS updates on devices not able to handle them. the droid x currently has the most recent version of android (froyo; 2.2) and i would bet that it will receive gingerbread (2.3) at some point as well. i would be surprised to see it updated past that.

I had a 3g also, and the updates just destroyed it. Frustration with that and a few other things drove me to switchover to the DX, the very day my contract was over.

My experience with Android and the DX has been terrific, despite a few still existing bugs from Motorola, and I love the configurability and features. I will never go back to Apple.

That said, if I was in your position, I probably would wait a bit for the next round of hardware, and for a cell with 4g compatibility, especially LTE.

If you just can't wait, you would be happy with the DX, despite the Mar 2011 end of life. It will continue to work just fine after that.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Verizon is getting 4g come december (or so we hear) so who knows what phones will be brought to the table. Im sitting here with my X waiting though. Hopefully gingerbread will come and we will have something fun to play with once again

Global Posts
    10,401 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Me too, love the x. However, if I were shopping now I may hold off for lte, but man, a quarter year could go by before those phones show up. The x gets unlimited data, while lte will be tierd. I could go on, but from my experiance, any time android gets an update, it gets enhanced. Ps hdmi outs on the x are sick!

best part about android is that if you want to you can push whatever build you want on to it.
    I have an old droid eris here that's running a custom 2.2 build and it's faster than stock 2.1.

custom roms aren't for everyone though but it's nice to have that option.
    Nexus 4 / Nexus 7 / Transformer Prime
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker

Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
    Me too, love the x. However, if I were shopping now I may hold off for lte, but man, a quarter year could go by before those phones show up. The x gets unlimited data, while lte will be tierd. I could go on, but from my experiance, any time android gets an update, it gets enhanced. Ps hdmi outs on the x are sick!
    If you can, confirm that LTE will be in your area otherwise you might get stuck paying some premium LTE fee when you don't have LTE coverage.
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Just use the droid x. you can overclock and its the best phone with the best service.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalslacker View Post
    best part about android is that if you want to you can push whatever build you want on to it.
    I have an old droid eris here that's running a custom 2.2 build and it's faster than stock 2.1.

custom roms aren't for everyone though but it's nice to have that option.
    And that right there my friend is the beauty of Android.

OP, since you're coming from an iPhone I'm assuming you're moving from AT&T
    so you're a new VZW customer. If you signed up then you're qualified for a full
    upgrade a year from now. Verizon changed their policy on this and made it
    shorter for primary lines.

Quote Originally Posted by forever29 View Post
    And that right there my friend is the beauty of Android.

OP, since you're coming from an iPhone I'm assuming you're moving from AT&T
    so you're a new VZW customer. If you signed up then you're qualified for a full
    upgrade a year from now. Verizon changed their policy on this and made it
    shorter for primary lines.
    Is this true for individual lines? When I go to my account online it says that I have 19 months before my upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    Is this true for individual lines? When I go to my account online it says that I have 19 months before my upgrade.
    I was told yesterday by the rep that it's 12 months now. Has to be a primary
    line. So if you're on just an individual line that should be your primary line. But
    if you add a line or more to the account, then those lines fall under the 18
    months. When did you sign up?

Quote Originally Posted by papi92 View Post
    Just use the droid x. you can overclock and its the best phone with the best service.
    OCing isn't always a guarantee...my DX won't run stable at 1.1 and crashes the second i set it to anything above 1.2.

I can run stock and undervolt it.

my understanding of how processors are rated is that they make X number of processors...then they test them and as long as they pass running at the advertised speed they are put into production.
    some of the processors could run higher and others can't.

i got one that can't
    but that's ok, it's still fast as hell
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker

Thought I'd share this. As I already mentioned, I ported my number from ATT
    to Verizon around Thanksgiving week. So opened a new account, got the 12
    months until an upgrade. New every two was 18 months away. Well I had an
    issue with ATT in which my contract ran out in December and not November.
    Long story short, I ported my number back to ATT for 10 days for the term
    to run out, ported back to Verizon. As I was doing the port over the phone
    I was told that I was already eligible for an upgrade. Sure enough, on my
    verizon account, I already qualify for a FULL UPGRADE. Apparently when you
    port back to Verizon, they do it through the "win back" department. I guess
    that's why I already got the upgrade.