My DX arrives today! Step by step, what should I do?

mrseak

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
This may be a goober question, so if it is, excuse this android newbie, but....

What should I do with my new best friend when I take it out of the box...one step at a time.

ANY help is sooo appreciated!!! :)

CarrierUnlock

Wireless Unlocking
Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Coming from BB I see. Well first thing I would do is fully charge it so you have time to play :). I am not sure if they are shipping with froyo now but if not go to Settings>About>System Updates, and update the software.

Then IMO you should enjoy the device stock for a while before you get into Rooting, and custom Rom's. This way you have something to compare to when you start removing bloatware and speeding up your phone :)

Reactions: mrseak

mrseak

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Coming from BB I see. Well first thing I would do is fully charge it so you have time to play :). I am not sure if they are shipping with froyo now but if not go to Settings>About>System Updates, and update the software.

Then IMO you should enjoy the device stock for a while before you get into Rooting, and custom Rom's. This way you have something to compare to when you start removing bloatware and speeding up your phone :)

GREAT advice! Thanks! It just arrived, so I am following your suggestions. :D

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Yea keep it stock for a bit. You can try a new home like launcherpro. That's a good first change. Do lots of reading around here and think about what you want to do and how far you want to take it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
.... and of course you came to the right forum to get answers to your questions. :)

Sent using TaPaTaLk

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
There's a great "sticky" thread on this forum for new X owners, plus one on apps and tips-and-tricks. Out of the box, the X is user-friendly, so don't panic. You are just about to enter one of the most entertaining part of your world. You will be absolutely stunned!

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
download z4root and root. get bootstrap and download rom manager. or TBH app for tranquility and leaks

Let's not get them going crazy just yet. We can only help so many at a time when sh!t hits the fan. Need to learn that phone inside and out stock first.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Hmmmm, I may be late to the party on this one.

I'd make a gmail account if you haven't already. Then I'd download Google Sync on the blackberry and sync all your contacts to your gmail address. Then I'd set up a Google Voice account (if you haven't already). Then when the X get's there, log into your gmail account so you can quickly recover all of your contacts without all the hassle of transferring them over. Then I'd download Google Voice and set it up as your voice mail. Then I'd spend the next few days playing with every bit of the phone and learning the ins and outs.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
tntdroid and I are on the same page. Take your time and get a feel for the phone before you start down the path of rooting.

once you root you are in a position to do some real damage to your device.

second bit, custom roms are great and they offer a lot of real advantages in the way of ui and performance tweaks BUT, do your research. Rom manager scares me a bit because it makes trying new roms really easy.

I would suggest instead to look around and find a rom you think you'll like and then follow the dev's instructions for installing.

have fun!

mrseak

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Hmmmm, I may be late to the party on this one.

I'd make a gmail account if you haven't already. Then I'd download Google Sync on the blackberry and sync all your contacts to your gmail address. Then I'd set up a Google Voice account (if you haven't already). Then when the X get's there, log into your gmail account so you can quickly recover all of your contacts without all the hassle of transferring them over. Then I'd download Google Voice and set it up as your voice mail. Then I'd spend the next few days playing with every bit of the phone and learning the ins and outs.

Corey, I had already been reading through the posts and knew that my GMail acct and all of the Google programs would be necessary. I've had a GMail acct since Google first launched it, so I had that covered. Soooo, I'm in the process of playing, and having a great time doing it! This phone/platform is AMAAAAAZing!

Sorry for gushing. Can't hold back my enthusiasm.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest just enjoying it for a while, and then read, read and reread the topics associated with rooting/unrooting (z4root is a 1 click app you can put on your DX) then continue reading about ROM's, Themes etc.

But above all know the risks and rewards before you dive in, you don't want a $569 paper weight. Rooting is the easier part and you can do alot with it like ad blocking app, wifi tether, etc.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I second the LauncherPro recommendation. It makes everything in the X much smoother. Go to youtube and search for videos about the DroidX. There are quite a few. They give you great ideas and show you things that you might not even think of as a former bb user.

kdkinc

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
Ok you've played long enough... Time to root that puppy and start to make that great phone jump through some hoops...LOL
I have read your questions and reflect as to how I felt when I got my DX last July.
Your right on target...Play On !!

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
New Droid X

Ok you've played long enough... Time to root that puppy and start to make that great phone jump through some hoops...LOL
I have read your questions and reflect as to how I felt when I got my DX last July.
Your right on target...Play On !!

I know you mean well but everyone above your post suggested for good reason to enjoy his new device stock out of the box and right away you say" Enough already and root it"

To many here rooting may be easy and what they want but if the OP was not concerned to answer a great question for adice out of the box I think he would have read about rooting and who knows what might have happened.
I am not cutting you down but let the poor guy learn his new phone and he will know what is right for him.

Reactions: kdkinc

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Since z4root is a 1 click app you can use to root your device make sure to download Titanium Backup or any app that can backup apk files and backup a copy of z4root so if you have to restore device and the app gets removed from market you are not stuck without a way to unroot as easy. The developers are good at helping but I agree to read and reread because you never know what can happen.

After rooting I ran into a situation that corrupted files on my unit that screwed my device but good enough I researched first and was able to get it back. But on the same not you wont learn if you don't take a leap.

Enjoy...

kdkinc

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
I know you mean well but everyone above your post suggested for good reason to enjoy his new device stock out of the box and right away you say" Enough already and root it"

To many here rooting may be easy and what they want but if the OP was not concerned to answer a great question for adice out of the box I think he would have read about rooting and who knows what might have happened.
I am not cutting you down but let the poor guy learn his new phone and he will know what is right for him.

Ok...Its now been 72 Hours How about now ??? LOL ;)

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I would take a week or two to learn everything and get used to using android and froyo. There's no need to rush a custom Rom and root the phone. Learn all you can about the basics first. Research the forums and just spend some time using the stock phone. Besides hopefully Gingerbread is around the corner and you might like that better.

Learn everything possible about the Android system, Froyo...and Gingerbread when its released....then decide on if you need or want to root the phone.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I would take a week or two to learn everything and get used to using android and froyo. There's no need to rush a custom Rom and root the phone. Learn all you can about the basics first. Research the forums and just spend some time using the stock phone. Besides hopefully Gingerbread is around the corner and you might like that better.

Learn everything possible about the Android system, Froyo...and Gingerbread when its released....then decide on if you need or want to root the phone.

Great advice.