Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    ROM Abuser

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

Default Where is 2.2.1 for droidx?

I know there are a couple more days in November but aren't we suppose to get 2.2.1 for the Droid x before the end if november? Where is it Motorola? Please

Where did you get that information?
    If I were never here, you would never know.

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I have seen a couple leaks for this online, but I haven't heard anything along the lines of when or IF it will actually be getting it. Rumors.

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    ROM Abuser

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

I thought I remember reading on the news here at AC.

Global Posts
    6,721 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I didn't remember reading when it would be out even from the motorola forums, hopefully it won't be much longer tho.

Sent Using TaPaTaLk
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

as chris mentioned, there is a leaked version out in the wild.

OS updates from the carrier always take forever, especially from moto. im sure we all remember the froyo debacle. its for our benefit though, as the reason for the delay is always testing and making sure everything is running well

Global Posts
    1,377 Global Posts
    ROM
    Always changing

I would like to believe it is so everything is running well but with all the bugs we got in froyo I dont know about that anymore
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

Quote Originally Posted by dubge View Post
    I would like to believe it is so everything is running well but with all the bugs we got in froyo I dont know about that anymore
    lol, yes, the irony of my statement isnt lost on me, but the fact remains that they arent holding it back for giggles. theyre always going to wait until they think its ready for prime-time

Even if Motorola ever said at one point that we were supposed to have it by the end of November, I'd rather wait and make sure they get out a bug-free update than have them rush out whatever they have just to meet a deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by terpitude71 View Post

OS updates from the carrier always take forever, especially from moto. im sure we all remember the froyo debacle. its for our benefit though, as the reason for the delay is always testing and making sure everything is running well
    you wouldnt think there would be that much of a testing period. shouldnt the new update be the old one they approved, with a list of new bug fixes? i cant believe their quality control is that top notch considering we need the update to fix problems to begin with. sigh....oh well, onto more apps!

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

No operating system is perfect, and there will always be bugs. If it was, there would be no need for new versions of an OS.

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKerrigan View Post
    No operating system is perfect, and there will always be bugs. If it was, there would be no need for new versions of an OS.
    Add new features.

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

they should just put the changes into gingerbread...

ROM
    Rooted GB

If I could make a recommendation I'd say stay away from the leak as there is no way to revert back once you apply it, if you brick your phone while having the leak there is no way to unbrick ATM, trying to go back to 2.2 is certain suicide and you are S.O.L. until the actual OTA comes out and an SBF is available.

Patience is bliss.
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,628 Global Posts

In reality, it isn't usually the vendor (ie: Motorola) that cause the delays in the OS update releases. More likely, it's Verizon - takes an update and runs it through it's own tests and requirements, from what I understand.
    Always learning ...

ROM
    Rooted GB

Quote Originally Posted by Arelunde View Post
    In reality, it isn't usually the vendor (ie: Motorola) that cause the delays in the OS update releases. More likely, it's Verizon - takes an update and runs it through it's own tests and requirements, from what I understand.
    Yep Motorola will get their tweaks in on the update but in the end it's gotta be run by Verizon to get the OK.
    Androidoholic

Global Posts
    1,530 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by terpitude71 View Post

The "making sure everything is running well" is BS. I've had countless OS updates that were stamped with Verizon's approval that were horrendous. BlackBerry was the worst however.

The update will come in due time. We just have to be patient. I haven't noticed any major bugs with the DX, so I can wait.

i wouldnt say the bugs are major, but rebooting, music files stopping, ringtones assignment, camera issues, they add up. each one is small, but there are enough to cause some concern. i just want a few fixed, mainly the music issue. when ringtones quit working and i miss calls or emails, that gets to be a pain.

I'm not one of the people testing the phone, but my understanding is that the initial tests were very split between "solving everything" and "my phone is a paperweight now". I imagine they spent some time trying to figure out what was leading to the high rate of failure, then had to do field testing again.

I would expect that second round of testing is either going on or done, and if the latter then VZ is probably testing it. Either way I'd imagine it will be closer to the holidays before we see the OTA.
    Drroooiiiiddddd

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sense 3.5

Quote Originally Posted by ottscay View Post
    Either way I'd imagine it will be closer to the holidays before we see the OTA.
    That's if we're lucky.

On the , users are being encouraged to sign up for the "Motorola Feedback Network" (which involves registering for the forum and filling out a survey) if they want to be recruited as testers for software updates. As of today, no testers have been needed, but maybe "in the near future"??

(post #14 by Matt)
    Drroooiiiiddddd

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sense 3.5

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
    On the , users are being encouraged to sign up for the "Motorola Feedback Network" (which involves registering for the forum and filling out a survey) if they want to be recruited as testers for software updates. As of today, no testers have been needed, but maybe "in the near future"??

(post #14 by Matt)
    Its kind of ironic how Motorola had the first "game-changing" Android device, the DROID, and now they're obsolete all within a year of each other. Motorola really screwed up with the DX, they made it seem like it was the perfect device when in fact it is the EXACT opposite. I'm not saying I hate my DX, still like it better than my girlfriend's new Fascinate, but all of these issues should have been addressed and fixed by now. Motorola has the mindset of "get a device out to the market and move on to the next one", not "let's support all of our products to the fullest". I had no problems when I owned the OG DROID, I returned it within the 30-days because I didn't think I was ready for an Android device coming from a Blackberry. I went on to own the DInc and sold it to get the DX and in some ways I regret that, yet some ways I'm glad I have the DX instead.

Bottom line, Motorola needs to get their a$$ in gear and provide the proper support for ALL of their products, current and past. I've determined that if a maintenance update doesn't roll around by the end of this month/first part of January, or if one does roll out and it causes more issues than it fixed, this will be the LAST Motorola device I will ever own, mark my words.

Well, the news today is that the OG Droid is getting their 2.2.1 OTA soon. Motorola's MO (or maybe it's Verizon's) has been to prioritize updates based on release date. So getting the OG OTA out of the way would be the first step. The Incredible already got it's 2.2.1 update, so Verizon won't be hogging the bandwidth to get that phone done first, so I'd imagine that we could see the Droid X version as soon as the week after the OG gets it.

Of course if they are still squashing bugs it could be later.
    Drroooiiiiddddd

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sense 3.5

Quote Originally Posted by ottscay View Post
    Well, the news today is that the OG Droid is getting their 2.2.1 OTA soon. Motorola's MO (or maybe it's Verizon's) has been to prioritize updates based on release date. So getting the OG OTA out of the way would be the first step. The Incredible already got it's 2.2.1 update, so Verizon won't be hogging the bandwidth to get that phone done first, so I'd imagine that we could see the Droid X version as soon as the week after the OG gets it.

Of course if they are still squashing bugs it could be later.
    Yea, I just saw that on the main page. This is causing me to consider ditching the DX and getting an OG DROID to play with until a much better phone comes around (Incredible HD, anyone?). I honestly miss the OG, it was a bad-*** phone and I even posted a thread in their forum asking how performance has held up with all of the improvements in the past year and its rooting capabilities. If in a couple of weeks nothing is on the horizon (that was not a diss on VZW) and people have had mostly success with their OG's, I will consider doing it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast