1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Default New or Pre-Owned?

I've lurked around the forum and I see there are mixed reviews on purchasing new phones versus certified pre-owned. I'm eligible for an upgrade with Verizon and I'm looking at the DX. There is a $50 difference in price between new and CPO. I'm coming off Blackberry so this will be my very first Android experience. Is the CPO device worth going after or should I just buck up and pay the extra $50 for a new one? Are CPO devices warrantied the same as the new ones? If they are, I don't see any reason to avoid them since you are going to get a replacement anyways. Any experience of the fit and finish of CPO devices? How is the quality of the touch screens?

I want to make sure I make the right choice here. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I ordered the CPO droid x. Looks brand new and works perfectly. I asked two verizon reps who both stated it's treated as a new phone. Warranty wise and exchange. It is even covered by their product replacement should you want it. I was hesitant at first but it was well worth it. IMO

I believe you can go with the Certified device or the new one, they both should be equal in quality.
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...

OR...goto Walmart.com and get a Droid X for $79. Saw another post the other day saying Dell had 'em for $50 but haven't confirmed that. I did see the $79 @ Walmart.com (yes Walmart!)

Or to WireFly and get it for $50

Edit: Nevermind, that's for new customers. It's $79 if you have an upgrade.

Global Posts
    315 Global Posts

Maybe I am just neurotic/paranoid or something, but I do not like CPO. In my opinion they are CPO because they failed once and in my mind that makes them prone to more failure.
    Dumb phone -> BB8830WE -> BB Curve 8330 -> Incredible -> DROID X ----->Galaxy S3

You're probably going to spend well over $2,000 in the next 2 years with this phone. I'd rather start out with a brand new device than try to save $50.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lsmunoz View Post
    Maybe I am just neurotic/paranoid or something, but I do not like CPO. In my opinion they are CPO because they failed once and in my mind that makes them prone to more failure.
    Honestly, I worked retail positions before and learned that a large amount of returned items isn't because of defective devices, its in fact because of the user not taking the time to learn the product and didn't know anything about the item they bought, but then start complaining about a device being defective. I have saved money on a number of things because I bought returned items and learned that there wasn't anything really wrong with the item. You can miss out on some nice deals by fearing another persons mistakes.
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...
    Thanked by:

$50 is short money so may as well just go brand new. Its money well spent for piece of mind.

To me, a CPO is a refurbished device. A refurbished device goes through
    testing all over again and gets new housings put on them anyway.