I can't figure out the Speed dialing on my X

ddodge68

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I know that this has been discussed a few times, but I am still unable to get the speed dialing figured out on my DX. I love the phone but......

Every time I try to set up the speed dialing, I end up with the same screen. "Speed dial list is empty. You can create a new speed dial in context menu of the contact." But I can't find anyplace where I can do so.

I am running Launcher Pro. I have Dialer One, but have tried setting speed dials from both Dialer One, as well as from the Contacts app.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
The easiest way is to long press the number in your dialer and it will ask you if you want to assign a contact for the speed dial. It will bring up your contact list and just select the contact you want to use. Just remember that #1 is reserved for voicemail so you can't assign it to another contact.

EDIT: Speed dial one can be changed. In your dialer, press the menu key and select "speed dial setup" you can make changes from there including removing the VM speed dial.

Last edited:

ddodge68

May 11, 2010
Visit site
The easiest way is to long press the number in your dialer and it will ask you if you want to assign a contact for the speed dial. It will bring up your contact list and just select the contact you want to use. Just remember that #1 is reserved for voicemail so you can't assign it to another contact.

When I long press the number 2, on my DX, I get "2. Speed Dial not found. You can create new speed dial in context menu of the contact."

jscher2000

May 16, 2010
www.androidwtf.com
I don't have any special dialer app. In the stock dialer, Menu > Speed Dial Setup. Then tap a slot to assign and your contacts list should come up. Scroll to the contact you want and tap it. When I search first, it doesn't work, I have to scroll the list.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
There is a secret to this ever since 2.2...

Go to phone > menu > set up speed dial list > pick number > in contacts DO NOT SEARCH for your contact - just keep scrolling to you get to it > add (or whatever it says to add to list). Done.

The "secret" is the DON'T use search for the contact. Works with scrolling.

ddodge68

May 11, 2010
Visit site
There is a secret to this ever since 2.2...

Go to phone > menu > set up speed dial list > pick number > in contacts DO NOT SEARCH for your contact - just keep scrolling to you get to it > add (or whatever it says to add to list). Done.

The "secret" is the DON'T use search for the contact. Works with scrolling.

This worked, but only after I uninstalled Dialer One. With Dialer One installed, the speed dial list would not even come up.

*edit - When I reinstalled Dialer One, the speed dials no longer work. I like Dialer One for the T9 (smart dialing) option.... Is there no way to have speed dialing as well as T9 dialing??? *frustrated...

Last edited:

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Try these steps...

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

ddodge68

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Wildman, Speed Dial is now populated, if I use the "stock" dialer, but if I go back to Dialer One, the speed dials do not work.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Wildman, Speed Dial is now populated, if I use the "stock" dialer, but if I go back to Dialer One, the speed dials do not work.

That's because Dialer One does not share the speed dial settings from stock app, you have to set up Dialer One's speed dial through the Dialer One application.

dialer-onel9.png

Last edited:

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
You could also place Direct Dial shortcuts to contacts on your homescreen as well. I actually prefer this over speed dial. Long press the home screen > Shortcuts > Direct Dial

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Similar to what some others have said, this is what I did to get my speed dials to work:

Open up the phone and go to your Contacts through the actual phone in the tabs at the top of the screen. Scroll through your contacts and long press on the ones you want and edit their speed dial. This worked for me, and was the only way I could get it to work. I'm using the regular dialer.