Gingerbread and Droid X

jdkoreclipse

Banned
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Definitely march-April , and maybe early may, depending on Motorola and big red...I don't think there will be custom roms for 2.3 on the x because it requires a modded boot.img, which x owners can't have.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Definitely march-April , and maybe early may, depending on Motorola and big red...I don't think there will be custom roms for 2.3 on the x because it requires a modded boot.img, which x owners can't have.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

I might be missing something, but how is that any different than for 2.2??? Last I checked, ROMS were not a big issue on the X

Last edited:

o_dat1

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Yep it's the waiting game once again

Nexus One owners are the lucky ones today. :)

Patience my dear friend.
Well I called and spoke with 2 separate Verizon Tech Support Reps. yesterday to confirm any accuracies in responses. I asked if and when the Droid X would be receiving the Gingerbread update? Both of them told me the same thing; that they received a memo stating it should be released by the end of January or February 2011. So we will just have to wait and see but we will definitely be getting it. Thats right!!

jdkoreclipse

Banned
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I might be missing something, but how is that any different than for 2.2??? Last I checked, ROMS were not a big issue on the X
Roms were a big problem if they require modded initramfs that properly initiate dex caching (autocorrect almost made me type sex caching)...the way I understand it is that the x can only use stock moto boot.img and the stock boot it froyo...we need a gb one

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

jdkoreclipse

Banned
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok, i would like to clear up any misconceptions about gingerbread on the DRoidX. or just about any other phone.

1- There is no gingerbread screen off animation
2- It cannot be ported to the X at this time, because it requires boot.img modifications, which it cant have due to locked bootloader.
3- There is no way you can install this unless a dev made a rom for it.

If there are any more questions, i would love to assist.

o_dat1

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok, i would like to clear up any misconceptions about gingerbread on the DRoidX. or just about any other phone.

2- It cannot be ported to the X at this time, because it requires boot.img modifications, which it cant have due to locked bootloader.

Totally untrue... its definitely going to be released for the Droid X.. I call Verizon several times and they are all saying the same thing; that they received a memo stating it will be released by the end of Jan or Feb 2011. Call them and ask yourself.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Totally untrue... its definitely going to be released for the Droid X.. I call Verizon several times and they are all saying the same thing; that they received a memo stating it will be released by the end of Jan or Feb 2011. Call them and ask yourself.

That post was talking about roms btw, no one doubts that there will be an ota 2.3 update from verizon eventually.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Well you have not met teamblackhat then have u. They will get all necessary images needed. Even with a locked boot loader

jdkoreclipse

Banned
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I know vzw will release gingerbread. As for tbh: they can only work off of leaked images for this, because as i understand, you need a signed moto boot.img. you need to mod the boot.img for correct dex caching, which is a moto thing.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site

This video does not seem to be real. The animations being displayed can be added through a rom and the icons in the notification bar do not look like the standard Gingerbread icons. Also while scrolling through the settings there wasn't any sign of the orange glow at the top or bottom to signify you have scrolled all the way to the top or bottom.

Motorola could have edited the build but since the source has been released a few days ago, highly unlikely.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, most people think that video is a version of apex or gummyJar.

I'm running rubiX 1.90 w/ Juicemane's Ginger Juiced beta theme and it looks exactly like Gingerbread but it's not. I can EASILY modify the build.prop and have it say any version i want it to. it's just a text file.

I have no doubt that tbh will get something before vzw pushes an OTA but I still think it'll be a bit.

as for the jan/feb rumor for a gingerbread OTA...if that memo existed it was an internal document and vzw won't have any issues pushing that date if they need to. VZW would push out a Gingerbread ETA through media channels, not their support reps and they won't do that until they are pretty sure they can hit the date.

Given VZW's track record with updates, Jan or Feb just sounds way to good to be true.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I think it's best to start complaining about how long you're having to wait for gingerbread now, and then when it comes out, you can continue to complain about how they rushed it and it's all full of bugs.

Seriously, it will be great when it finally gets here, but the phone is incredible right now.

o_dat1

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
All we can do now is wait and see but I do truly believe that it will be definitely sooner than later... but thats just me 2 cents. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol