Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Hey everyone

Hello all.

I just purchased my first android phone and decided on the DX. Happy with it for the first hour that I have had it and can't wait to play some more! Any opinions for apps I just have to get/things I should know about the DX? Thanks guys! I'm excited to be a part of this awesome community!!!
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

Welcome! Your phone will continue to amaze you. For apps it depends on what you want. Want to ditch the stock launcher? Check out launcherpro. Speeds it up Mike it smooth and lots of custom things. Things I use daily are tapatalk for sites like this. Engaget for tech news. Also game angry birds is a must. Once you play stock for a bit we will get you rooted and on a custom rom. Enjoy your new toy!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,772 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Hola DX is first class!

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by pjh325 View Post
    Hello all.

I just purchased my first android phone and decided on the DX. Happy with it for the first hour that I have had it and can't wait to play some more! Any opinions for apps I just have to get/things I should know about the DX? Thanks guys! I'm excited to be a part of this awesome community!!!
    Welcome we are excited to have you, and congrats.

Lets see app suggestions.

-Most of us like to change from the Motorola UI to something more customizable for that the best apps in my opinion and im sure most will back me up, would be:

ADW launcher or Launcher Pro- my preference is Launcher Pro

-Also you may want to have a customizable Message application.

Chomp SMS or Handcent- i have never used Chomp i use handcent and i love it

- I find the amount of icons i can put on the home pages are kind of restrictive so i like to use

Multicon- allows me to fit more icons in,,for example i can fit 4 icons where before i could only place 1.

-For a great clock and weather function one of the best apps is.

Beautiful widgets.

-For syncing music.

DoubleTwist- allows you to transfer Itunes playlists over and do wireless sync among other things.

-Best music players

DoubleTwist, winamp, or power amp- power amp is my personal fav. but it costs a little but worth every dime IMO

- For syncing corp email.

Touchdown- works great and fast , the native outlook exchange on the DX didnt work for me at all this was an outstanding alternative.

-Keeping me upto date on all my mobile/Android news i use

Techbuzz- great widget that gives you RSS feeds

- Last but not least i would suggest the Android Central app/widget

Check out videos for Droid X on youtube. They'll show you many of the cool things that an android phone does. You can also find videos of many android apps there to give you some good ideas.

Some things I like are:

LauncherPro
    Angry Birds
    Calendar Pad
    Google sky Map
    GPS Test
    Weather Bug
    xScope (a great browser)
    Red Sky Weather Radar
    AK Notepad

Also, go here (http://www.google.com/mobile/voice-actions/) and click the "watch a video" button near the top right. This is one of the coolest things about android.
    Semper Fi
    I love my Moto X 2014!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Hi

I suggest:

Launcher Pro Plus
    Hand Cent
    Beautiful Widgets
    Angry Birds is fun I just installed it yesterday and have been playing it nonstop
    Also Gesture Search makes searching through contacts quicker

Have fun with your new phone

Welcome to Android and the DX! You will love it!
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

Congrats on your new DX! I love mine. All my suggestions have been covered, but welcome to AC just the same!

Android Central has a nice widget for keeping up on Android News. I've found some great apps by watching the editor's picks at the end of each week on AC.

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts

I think you will find using Google Voice Search to instantly find info or even navigate to something an outstanding tool. No more typing addresses into your GPS. - Then using the GPS in Satellite view while driving is simply "jaw dropping" watching the buildings and even trees go buy on your screen in real time as you see them out your windshield.

The other cool thing I like is Chrome to Phone. On your laptop use GMaps to find your route - click the Chrome to Phone button and the route launches on your phone. When you are on your laptop and see a phone number you wan to call - highlight it - click the Chrome to phone button and the number is instantly sitting in your phones dialer waiting for you to press send!

You need to load the free Chrome extension on your PC and the free Chrome to Phone app on your Droid.

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

Welcome to the DX Family!

+1 for Angry Birds

I use handcent for sms/mms as the stock text is kinda of a let down! The new Facebook is good now with the push notifications and chat! and Laucher Pro!

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

well i used to have launcher pro but now it appears i dont and i can not find it! can someone help me out?

Pure Grid Calendar*
    Beautiful Widgets*
    CurveFish Widgets and batterylife
    Virtual Recorder for voice notes
    Multicon Widget – allows for 4 icons to be placed in the spot of 1.
    All-in-1-Calc Great calculator with conversions, currency, constants, and more!
    Real Calc scientific Calculator by Brain Overspill
    Droid48 graphing calculator by shagrath
    Tricorder by moonblink
    Electrodroid by Demetrio Iero
    Periodic Table Droid by Droidla
    LED Flashlight by Advancing Backwards
    Multilang Dictionary by Dynotes
    Nesoid, and other emulators by yongzh* Paid lets you save the game anywhere.
    (go to theoldcomputer.com for free game roms)
    Angry Birds
    Angry Birds Seasons
    Paper Toss by backflip studios
    Duck Hunter by Reverie
    Bonsai Blast by Glu Mobile
    Winamp music player
    Act1 Video Player*

Most of those are free, ones marked with a * are pay apps
    HTC Desire 816 4.4.2, SanDisk 128GB U1, Amzer Pudding/Trident Aegis Case

Quote Originally Posted by mossyoak View Post
    well i used to have launcher pro but now it appears i dont and i can not find it! can someone help me out?
    Get the free LP back from the market open it to it's settings and use the email to have you code resent to you (same email address you used when you purchased it originally).The pro version isn't in the market , you have to get free one then then get the pro one back tho it.

Sent using TaPaTaLk