This Phone Sucks For Texting...

jak112460

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Texting on the X is terrible. I try to scroll my text to read it and check it for mistakes and there is like a quarter inch of space and scrolling is terrible. If I answering a text the original text appears at the top in a nice big box while my new text is in this tiny little box that I have trouble scrolling. I would really like to be able to read my entire text in one box rather that scrolling a tiny opening. Geez!! You would think the designers would give more screen space considering the size of the screen. I'm seriously considering getting rid of this phone because of that. I know it sounds stupid but I text all of the time and this phone is just terrible. I was hoping there is an app. that deals with this.

Dirty Ders

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
One thing you could do is rotate the phone when you want to read your text, vertical text gives a much larger window and smaller keyboard.

There are other keyboard apps out there that might give you more room. Sorry I cant really help, I don't text much and I don't have secondary keyboards.

If that doesn't help, get the droid 2 if you are really into texting.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Texting on the X is terrible. I try to scroll my text to read it and check it for mistakes and there is like a quarter inch of space and scrolling is terrible. If I answering a text the original text appears at the top in a nice big box while my new text is in this tiny little box that I have trouble scrolling. I would really like to be able to read my entire text in one box rather that scrolling a tiny opening. Geez!! You would think the designers would give more screen space considering the size of the screen. I'm seriously considering getting rid of this phone because of that. I know it sounds stupid but I text all of the time and this phone is just terrible. I was hoping there is an app. that deals with this.

is the problem that when you open the text the keyboard is taking up half the screen?... when i had my droid x i would have to hold down the menu button to hide the keyboard so that i could read long texts.

Finsol

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I come from a long line of qwerty slider phones, from the rumor to the lg ally and when it came time for me to choose between the droid 2 and the droid x I took a long time handling the d2 and then looked at the droid x screen I was sold lol.

Using a touch keyboard on a phone with a screen this size is cake in landscape view. With that said I do agree that a thumb scroller or something of the sort for the small reading space in landscape to make viewing easier would be great but it really isn't that bad to tilt the phone into portrait and review what you have typed then go back into landscape or stay in portrait, I find myself typing more and more often in portrait lately.

I guess im saying its cool to vent but don't blow off an amazing phone because of small issues that can be remedied with some advice.

Last edited:

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
If the keyboard is taking up too much space when you are reading texts, just click the back button to remove it. But I agree with dwaynewilliams, you may be happier with the Droid 2.

igobytony

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
With ultra keyboard you can adjust the size of the keys. Between that, fully customizable themes, and a swype-like feature called "tracing", I'll probably never switch keyboards.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
My wife has the Droid 2 and Im much happier with my X, much easier to type on.

I agree, but my wife (who also has the Droid 2) says the opposite. She thinks the X is too big & hates not having a physical keyboard.

At least we have choice here on Android instead of being stuck with one design like the iPhone people.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
download handcent. much better texting program

Your missing what the OP is saying and Handcent will not rectify the issue. The space in which the text appears will only hold so many lines of information then, it starts to push them upwards (out of sight). When your done typing and you want to review text prior to sending, you will have to scroll upwards. The only issue is the phone thinks your trying to edit the field therefore making it way more difficult to scroll. I have this problem but I found you have to touch the text area VERY lightly so not to activate the edit feature.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Should I start a thread on how texting on the droid X 4.3 just rocks? He he, sounds like many people are teaching OP some good X tricks....he he

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
The DX is amazing to type on. Its a good phone for a person with big hands like me. The only problem I have with the stock keyboard is that the spacebar in landscape mode was a little too small and I was constantly hitting the period by mistake.

Installed Smart Keyboard Pro and solved the problem. I thought the stock keyboard was amazing until I found SK Pro. It gets no better then the DroidX. Awesome phone.

racinwarrior

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Your missing what the OP is saying and Handcent will not rectify the issue. The space in which the text appears will only hold so many lines of information then, it starts to push them upwards (out of sight). When your done typing and you want to review text prior to sending, you will have to scroll upwards. The only issue is the phone thinks your trying to edit the field therefore making it way more difficult to scroll. I have this problem but I found you have to touch the text area VERY lightly so not to activate the edit feature.

what are you talking about? he said he was having trouble with texting. i said use handcent because it is totally different than the stock text program. if there are that many lines of text then it should be separate messages. dont blame the phone for user error

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
what are you talking about? he said he was having trouble with texting. i said use handcent because it is totally different than the stock text program. if there are that many lines of text then it should be separate messages. dont blame the phone for user error

Texting isn't only for SMS messages. Handcent is an SMS app...has nothing to do with using the keyboard for other text fields.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I had similar feelings as the OP about the small box that contains the text you are writing (on the Portrait screen). I didn't think about using the landscape keyboard and what a difference!! Lots of room and a scrolling feature to read what you are typing. Can't believe I didn't realize that earlier.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt