any suggestions...please help

Ms Charli

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm having some issues!!! My X has become very slow and laggy!! It taking for ever to open apps, dial numbers, it freezes a lot and now it's restarting quite frequently. Any suggestions on tuning up my phone. I do use task killer that came with the phone under manage apps but I'm still having the above problems!!!!

Ms Charli

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I can't unistall it! It came with the phone!! I just go in under manage applications see whats running if it doesn't need to be running I kill it!!

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
You are probably killing apps that the system needs to operate, thus causing the phone to be unstable. I would suggest that you uninstall the "Task Killer" as they are not recommended at all for the Android system. There are numerous articles here on the subject. To uninstall go to:

Menu>Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>All>Task killer> Uninstall.

racinwarrior

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
sounds like she is using the "running services" option in the setting menu.

dont kill anything manually. let the phone do its thing.

turn off your phone

hold the home button then hold the power button

when you see the android guy and a triangle with an ! point press the search key

use the volume rocker to scroll down to wipe cache, use the camera button to select it

reboot

Reactions: hockeydave55

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I can't unistall it! It came with the phone!! I just go in under manage applications see whats running if it doesn't need to be running I kill it!!

What specifically are you killing? Why? Have you been getting notifications of low available memory?

Don't kill things that you think don't need to be running, chances are they DO need to run to improve speed of other services. Just let the phone do it's thing, if you ever do run low on RAM, the system is designed to automatically close things that won't affect the basic funtions of the phone to free up the needed memory.

Wiping the cache like the post above instructs will help, then stop killing programs yourself anymore.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
A bad file/filesystem on your sd card can also cause a boatload of problems on a device, certainly everything the OP has described.

Ms Charli, if you have a spare sd card, put it in your phone and the problems should go away if something on your original card was not right. If you don't have a spare, take the sd card out of the phone and test it without the memory card.

If it is the card causing the problems, transfer the contents of your card to your PC and reformat the card in the phone. Then move only essential files and folders back to the card and test for a while. Repeat in small batches until you have found the bad file or all of the files/folders that you want are back on the card. If you don't find a bad file, don't worry, it was probably something wrong with the filesystem (FAT, File Allocation Table) that was causing your device's problems, the formatting of the card would fix that.

Ms Charli

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
sounds like she is using the "running services" option in the setting menu.

dont kill anything manually. let the phone do its thing.

turn off your phone

hold the home button then hold the power button

when you see the android guy and a triangle with an ! point press the search key

use the volume rocker to scroll down to wipe cache, use the camera button to select it

reboot

Yes that exactly what i'm using "running services"!! Sorry never heard of this method of rebooting my phone what does this do exactly?:eek:

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Have you installed any recent apps? Sometimes apps can cause conflicts with the operating system. In trying to troubleshoot it is a good idea to try and pinpoint when the problems began and eliminate any recent changes to the system first.

racinwarrior

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm only killing apps that shouldn't be running. Apps that I can launch when i'm ready like "News",

you shouldnt be killing anything.

for example that news app you are killing will be started again by the OS. You are killing it, it is restarting and using more resources by doing so. Stop looking at what is running in the background. it is not a blackberry.

the ONLY time i would suggest killing a running app or process is when it is giving you error messages or is frozen.

Jaredd130

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Diddo to all the other suggestions. You really shouldnt be "killing" anything. Its not like a Blackberry. The android os is based of linux and when you open something up and close out of it, linux caches parts of that app so the next time you go and want to use it, it opens quicker and is smoother. everytime you are killing something, it is using more resources (cpu and ram) to just open it back up. Linux allocates memory totally different than say windows or bb. Here's a great explanation of how your phone really works and why your shouldnt use an app killer.

Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn't Use Them

racinwarrior

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Yes that exactly what i'm using "running services"!! Sorry never heard of this method of rebooting my phone what does this do exactly?:eek:

well you will be booting into recovery mode. (like safe mode on a windows computer). you will be wiping or cleaning the cache from you phone. this clears up any leftover information from programs that have stored cache in the past.