Gallery Not Launching...Please Help

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
when I mount my device by usb to my computer I used to use mass storage to transfer pics to iphoto on the mac. I also have the gallery issues could this fix it?

Last edited:

sukjeffrey

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me too. I put a folder of pictures in my sdcard. After I did that, my gallery wouldn't work. So, I moved them to do dcim folder, and then it worked.

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
help

This happened to me too. I put a folder of pictures in my sdcard. After I did that, my gallery wouldn't work. So, I moved them to do dcim folder, and then it worked.

moved what to the dcmi folder? I was shocked I put the micro card into the computer and couldn't for the life of me find my pics. They don't have a "mypics "folder at all. Nothing labeled easy for the non techies.
I moved my card contents to a folder marked microsd. then put the card back in the phone and it won't open under gallery. IF i go through the camera it will open. What is the next step formatting the card in the phone? How do I do that ?

sukjeffrey

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
moved what to the dcmi folder?

My photos. Before, I had put all my photos in a folder I created. But when I tried to open my gallery, it wouldn't launch. So I moved that folder in dcim. I'm not an expert at this. I was just playing around and seeing what worked. Sorry I can't help you more. :/

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
hmmmm. i might just get a new card 32 and start over. where do you find the pics on the card? I transfered the whole card to my computer and I can't find the folder to find the pics? Aren't all the pics stored on the card from the camera?

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I just went through an agonizing day with this problem, while testing the USC connect/disconnect cycle to see if the problem I had experienced with lost graphics files is still there in 2.2.1.

I ran OK for the first 12 days, or so, but a few days ago, the Gallery crash happened, but it cured itself after a power recycle. Last night, the problem was back with a vengeance, and nothing I did helped at first. I tried power recycles, graphics file and folder restores, battery pulls, etc., with no improvement.

After that, I put my old 16gb card, which still has a pretty full collection of data in the DX, and Gallery worked fine. That convinced me that something ugly happened to my 32gb card during last nights USB connection, so I reformatted it and completely restored it from my last backup.

It's finally working properly again, and I'm not going to try any more USB connections. I'm sticking with the wireless connection mode from here on. Wireless has never caused me any problems like this, and it's just too miserable dealing with the aftermath of the USB glitches, whatever they are.

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I just went through an agonizing day with this problem, while testing the USC connect/disconnect cycle to see if the problem I had experienced with lost graphics files is still there in 2.2.1.

I ran OK for the first 12 days, or so, but a few days ago, the Gallery crash happened, but it cured itself after a power recycle. Last night, the problem was back with a vengeance, and nothing I did helped at first. I tried power recycles, graphics file and folder restores, battery pulls, etc., with no improvement.

After that, I put my old 16gb card, which still has a pretty full collection of data in the DX, and Gallery worked fine. That convinced me that something ugly happened to my 32gb card during last nights USB connection, so I reformatted it and completely restored it from my last backup.

It's finally working properly again, and I'm not going to try any more USB connections. I'm sticking with the wireless connection mode from here on. Wireless has never caused me any problems like this, and it's just too miserable dealing with the aftermath of the USB glitches, whatever they are.

How did you sync wirelessly? I have always used usb to transfer my pics and that was it. I need to sync my music too.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
usb mode is fine, you just need to properly change from mass storage mode to charge only mode before disconnecting from the computer, or you can mess up the card or file system.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
How did you sync wirelessly? I have always used usb to transfer my pics and that was it. I need to sync my music too.

I use the WebDAV feature in the Websharing App for the DX, which allows you to designate a letter drive connection in Windows, and I utilize the Second Copy utility in Windows to make backups and keep the everything on the DX and the Laptop synchronized. I'm a belts and suspender guy, and since I have zero confidence in USB reliability on this device, I back up and sync everything each night, plus I do a second backup from the laptop to my Synology system drive. I have about 20gb or so on the SD Card, but now that everything is set up, backups typically take only 5 or 10 minutes each. Only new files, or files that have changed content are transferred.

To further satisfy my paranoia, I have a scheduled backup which includes all Camera Roll pictures on Lookout run during the late night, while the DX is on the charger.

While I was using USB, I also used Motorola Media Link for Music, but I already have all the music I own on the DX, and I'm now into LP to MP3 conversions which I can manage via file transfers via wireless.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
usb mode is fine, you just need to properly change from mass storage mode to charge only mode before disconnecting from the computer, or you can mess up the card or file system.

That's not been my experience. I'll stick with wireless until Motorola demonstrates some robustness in the connection.

You do make an interesting point in instructing to change from mass storage mode to charge mode before disconnecting. I don't know if that is considered the "proper" method, and I don't recall ever seeing that mentioned in any formal instructions, but perhaps it could help in eliminating glitches resulting from the disconnect. In any case, I think that is an extra step very easily forgotten, along with the established requirement to eject the USB port before removal, and at this point I'm not willing to risk it, as long as I have a viable alternative in the wireless method that I have much more confidence in.

I also know from personal experience that corruption, and or file loss, can also occur in the initial stages of the connection, at least on OS 2.2, not sure on 2.2.1. I have had cases where the files were actually lost before the backup was done, and only the fact that I had a secondary backup saved me from a permanent loss of those files.

Last edited:

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I try another card and it work. I got the gallery back. I then took my 16gb card out and made a copy to a folder which took hours I might add. I then formatted the card in my phone then took the card out and reinstalled all my info per the instructions I have read on the web. I can't get the card to remount now. It says the card is not available. help:eek:

Sailmaker

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Fix For Photo Gallery Bug

Here is what worked for me...no reformat required:

Go to:
Settings >> Applications >> Manage Applications >> All tab
For each of the following, I clicked on Clear data and Clear cache: (Just clearing Gallery did not do it for me)
Gallery
Media Container Service
Media Storage
Then I restarted phone by holding down power button, clicking Power Off, then held it again to turn on and working great! It did take a few minutes for the Gallery to get all the thumbnails again the first time I started it, but it works!
I was afraid I deleted all files on SD but they are all still there. Just be patient, will take several minutes for Gallery to repopulate.

anon(4783665)

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I found myself having this same problem a few days after I got my droid x from VZW.

I downloaded the alternate gallery for the droid x and found a gallery of 50 or so pictures I had neither taken nor downloaded. I deleted the mystery picture gallery (most were just blank, black screens), and now the stock gallery app works just fine. No more crashing as soon as I open it.

Hope this helps someone out there!

RemmyZero

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I found myself having this same problem a few days after I got my droid x from VZW.

I downloaded the alternate gallery for the droid x and found a gallery of 50 or so pictures I had neither taken nor downloaded. I deleted the mystery picture gallery (most were just blank, black screens), and now the stock gallery app works just fine. No more crashing as soon as I open it.

Hope this helps someone out there!

"alternate gallery"?

you have me interested....which one are you referring to?

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
There are others which I like. QuickPic for pictures, mvideoplayer for videos and winamp for music. I like Quickpic since it's faster and you can sort them all different ways. I like mvideoplayer since it just loads up faster and smoother. Also fast forwarding is much better, just slide across the screen, not just the slider bar. winamp just looks better but no need.

RemmyZero

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
There are others which I like. QuickPic for pictures, mvideoplayer for videos and winamp for music. I like Quickpic since it's faster and you can sort them all different ways. I like mvideoplayer since it just loads up faster and smoother. Also fast forwarding is much better, just slide across the screen, not just the slider bar. winamp just looks better but no need.

i actually downloaded them both based on a previous post and so far i'm happy with them although there are some things i dislike about quickpic but its not a big deal since i can just go back to the gallery any time.

Sailmaker - that worked great. thanks!

pixelsyndicate

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
This has happened several times for me; my Droid X stock card (16gig) went bad too, so i've been a little suspicious every time the gallery force-closes itself in an eye-blink. I upgraded to a new 32gig card, but it happened again once I started using Motorola Media Sync (which is very laggy client-side I might add).

I've been using the following method to fix the stock gallery without having to move files around, format or be rooted (though being rooted doesn't hurt).

Here's my write-up on it (just a step-by-step). It's worked 100% of the time.

Fix for stock android gallery crash

Sometimes, after syncing items to your Android phone's storage card, the stock gallery application will start acting like it's force-closing immediately it's opened.

Here is how to fix it without having to back-up your SD card and format it, then restore.

Settings > Applications > Manage Applications
click "All" applications tab

"Clear Data" on Media Storage
"Clear Data" on Gallery

back out to Settings > SD card & phone storage

Unmount SD card

Once the SD card is unmounted, you should power-off your phone.

when the OS reboots, open the stock gallery application

The gallery will display "Loading Media Files" and a quick toast saying 'Loading' will fade off the screen, and the busy icon will display in the gallery's chrome. The main display of the gallery will show a default icon for media files.

It will take some time to rescan your photos and videos, but you will have your stock android gallery working again.

Tested with DroidX (froyo) (rooted)​

pixelsyndicate

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Sorry Sailmaker, I see you've already covered this method... although I've never been able to "clear data" on Media Container Service. Button's disabled for me.

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Sailmaker's method even made the front page of the site last week. A search of the forums should have turned up the other thread.