Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to assign ringtones to your contacts

How do you assign a ringtone to individual contacts on the Droid X? Do you have to download an application?

This has always been a simple task on all phones i have had in the past but I cannot find an option for this on the Droid X.

I read all threads but i did not see a solution. Any advise would be appreciated.

ROM
    CM7

Easy sir.

Go to your main contacts list, select someone so you see their phone number and what not, hit menu and select EDIT. Move all the way down till you see something along the lines of additional information, where you can add birthdays and what not. You SHOULD see a ringtone section.
    Thanked by:
    kemo46 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by kirblar View Post
    Easy sir.

Go to your main contacts list, select someone so you see their phone number and what not, hit menu and select EDIT. Move all the way down till you see something along the lines of additional information, where you can add birthdays and what not. You SHOULD see a ringtone section.
    Thank you so much, i appreciate your help. Worked perfectly.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by kirblar View Post
    Easy sir.

Is there a way to add custom ringtones to the alert messages? I have some ringtones I would like to assign to the alerts when i get a text message. When I put ringtones in the folder, I can assign them but cannot add to where the alert sounds are.

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Go to menu-settings-notifications and select ur ring tone...u can always set a different one for voicemail too
    Current: Samsung Galaxy Note Edge
    Roms:
    Version:4.4.4
    Hardware: N915p.05
    Baseband: N915PVPU1ANK1
    PRI: ?
    PRL: 55021
    Kernel: 3.10.0-3-12500dpi@SWDD5607#1
    Themes:
    Launcher: TW Launcher
    Recovery:
    Retired: Samsung Instinct,Palm Pre,HTC Evo 4g,htc Evo 4G LTE, Galaxy Note 2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by vel7wil View Post
    Go to menu-settings-notifications and select ur ring tone...u can always set a different one for voicemail too
    I see how to change the notifications ringtone from the default choices they have for ringtones but i want to add a custom ringtone to the alert notifications. I cannot move, add or set a custom ringtone to that folder. When i do a long touch on the custom ringtone, it does allow me to set it as a ringtone but that does so in the incoming call ringtones, not the alert notification folder, does that make sense?
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,634 Global Posts

Menu > settings > Sounds > Notification ringtone (select)

For individual SMS notification sounds, try the free (?) app SMS Popup. Puts incoming Text and MMS messages over lock screen with options to close, delete or reply right there. Also allows customized rings, led colors for individuals in your contact list. Works great!
    Always learning ...

Default kind of same problem

i cant keep my ringtones to stay assigned to me texting , i use zedge for that certain ringtone and it doesnt stay
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

I use handcent for sms and have no issues with notifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty_82 View Post
    thats why i use and when i set one a ringtone from zedge it wont take it or save it , it always goes back to stock
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mbaverizon View Post
    thats why i use and when i set one a ringtone from zedge it wont take it or save it , it always goes back to stock
    Are you selecting it from zedge or handcent?

Are you selecting it from zedge or handcent?
    iam going into settings on handcent and using zedge for the ringtone
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

Ok, I tested on mine and it seems to be working. I just opened the thread for the contact I wanted to set, and went to the menu from that thread to make the change. Seems to be working so far. Hope this helps you figure it out. I hadn't used zedge much.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

With Handcent, can you assign custom ringtones to incoming texts, not just the default ones in the notification folder?