Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    A1C

Default Droid X radio

Hey guys, I had a quick question about the FM radio on the Droid X. I am with my local fire department and my main source of radio alerts is the Scanner Radio App. However in my area it is very speratic in terms of when my department is actually transmitting over the APP. I do have the frequency of the department is there a way I can program the phones built in radio to receive the signal?
    Last edited by A1C; 12-20-2010 at 07:58 PM.
    Military Police Army National Guard (retired)
    EMT Buffalo EMS

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gingerbread 2.3.3 rooted

Is it in the standard FM frequency range? I'm pretty sure the FM chip is a part of the wifi.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    A1C

Quote Originally Posted by wormeyman View Post
    Is it in the standard FM frequency range? I'm pretty sure the FM chip is a part of the wifi.
    Thats the thing, the frequency is 423.0875Mhz so I don't think thats standard range
    Last edited by A1C; 12-20-2010 at 08:22 PM.
    EMT Buffalo EMS
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

I'm pretty sure you can't transmit scanner frequencies to fm radio. Two different bandwiths.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    A1C

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can't transmit scanner frequencies to fm radio. Two different bandwiths.
    I was afraid of that. See our budget was cut so we can't buy any more equipment for a while. Does anyone know another way other then that APP?
    EMT Buffalo EMS
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Wouldn't that be a bad place to make cuts on equiptment to alert you as a firefighter? What's wrong with using the app your talking about?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    A1C

Wouldn't that be a bad place to make cuts on equiptment to alert you as a firefighter? What's wrong with using the app your talking about?
    It will stop streaming the feed at random times and thats not good
    EMT Buffalo EMS

ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

Assuming you've got a scanner at home you may be able to plug the output of the scanner into your PC and then stream from there - that said it's perhaps going to be just as reliable as the app you mentioned depending on your Internet connection. Programs like Orb or HomePipe may help get you in the right direction if you want to try.
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    Motorola Droid X (WiFi)/Motorola Droid 2 Global (VZW)
    Motorola 9505A (Iridium)/HP Zeen (WiFi)
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    A1C

Quote Originally Posted by jdbower View Post
    Assuming you've got a scanner at home you may be able to plug the output of the scanner into your PC and then stream from there - that said it's perhaps going to be just as reliable as the app you mentioned depending on your Internet connection. Programs like Orb or HomePipe may help get you in the right direction if you want to try.
    Thank you ill try that. I'm just trying to find the best way to do all this on the go. I do appreciate all the help gentlemen
    EMT Buffalo EMS
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Anything else is most likely also going to be streamed. There are sites on the internet for live feeds that you can listen to. Its kind of strange you wouldn't be equipped with a scanner or a walkie talkie or something. You could always buy a scanner online. I don't know...like I said..strange. As a firefighter you should have police scanners and hand radios.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    A1C

Anything else is most likely also going to be streamed. There are sites on the internet for live feeds that you can listen to. Its kind of strange you wouldn't be equipped with a scanner or a walkie talkie or something. You could always buy a scanner online. I don't know...like I said..strange. As a firefighter you should have police scanners and hand radios.
    Well I did have one, however that broke during a fire and we don't have any extras currently and I wont be able to get a new one for about a week or so
    EMT Buffalo EMS

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

I work FT here in KY as a FF/Medic (11yrs), our dispatch center sends alerts to our cell phones, so with that being said when im off i dont have to worry about carrying a pager or radio if we have a call back its all done through text pages.

Im not sure if that is something your dispatch can do but it is very easy to setup, if they have email at dispatch then they can do it!

[IMG][/IMG]
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    A1C

Quote Originally Posted by mossyoak View Post
    I work FT here in KY as a FF/Medic (11yrs), our dispatch center sends alerts to our cell phones, so with that being said when im off i dont have to worry about carrying a pager or radio if we have a call back its all done through text pages.

Im not sure if that is something your dispatch can do but it is very easy to setup, if they have email at dispatch then they can do it!

[IMG][/IMG]
    I will try that thank you very much sir, and thank you for your service
    EMT Buffalo EMS

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

A1C your very welcome! We get all squad and fire calls this way, it is kinda of a pain when your off duty but ya get used to it lol, it can come as a text or email as you see mine is set as an email so i could give it its own ringtone, if you dispatch can create a user group called XYZ FD then anytime you get a call then could select that email and send it out, with that being said thought that is a manual function and may cost some valuable time as ours is tied in with the computer system so the dispatcher doesnt do anything, as soon as the nature code and address is entered it is sent auto. Might want to be something you check into for your dispacth, if they dont have anything like that there are several programs out there that are somewhat cheap that can do it for ya!

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

along with that you couldnt add it to your fm app bc you said your freq is 453.xxx? that is a uhf freq and is a total diff bandwith and has its own PL (private line) code for what your freq is. Same goes for vhf freqs and or 800mhz.

I thought hosting one of those feeds was a simple matter of having a dedicated computer for the streaming. I think you should approach it from the perspective of what does the scanner app need. Maybe it needs one or two more dedicated resources to keep it going 24/7.