Keep pics OUT of Gallery

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I keep a copy of "Portable Apps" on my DX's SD card for use at work. Is there any way to keep the 1000+ images in PA from showing up in the gallery? It's a little annoying. I currently have the PA installed in it's own directory on the SD card.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
some apps will allow you to hide icons from that app from the gallery, but i dont know how you can do it otherwise. kinda wish i could do this as well, as i have a lot of icons in mine also

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Attached to this post is a zip file. Open it on your computer. Inside is a blank file named .nomedia .

Copy the .nomedia file inside any folder full of pics you don't want in the gallery. It should work.

Don't rename it, the . (dot) and the file name are what makes it work.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Attached to this post is a zip file. Open it on your computer. Inside is a blank file named .nomedia .

Copy the .nomedia file inside any folder full of pics you don't want in the gallery. It should work.

Don't rename it, the . (dot) and the file name are what makes it work.

Will this still allow me to be able to access the Portable Apps in the .nomedia file on Windows boxes? It's only effect will be to hide the images from the gallery?

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
The .nomedia file makes my gallery shut down without showing any photos at all. Almost like a FC, but no FC window.

Another trick that I found that worked was to just change the name of the Portable Apps directory to .PortableApps

It doesn't affect the use of Portable Apps and the other benefit was that it moved it to the top of the directory!

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Mudvayne622

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I just create a folder on my SD card with a dot(.) before the name. Any folder you create that starts with a Period(dot) will not show its contents in the gallery. For people trying to hide images(you know what I mean) just create a folder called .systools No one is gonna look in a folder named that for pics and they dont show up in the gallery. Hope this was help full.

ffmedic2112

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
The .nomedia file makes my gallery shut down without showing any photos at all. Almost like a FC, but no FC window.

Another trick that I found that worked was to just change the name of the Portable Apps directory to .PortableApps

It doesn't affect the use of Portable Apps and the other benefit was that it moved it to the top of the directory!

Thanks for the help!

I'm having the same issue. Gallery opens up and shuts down right away. Wish this would have worked!

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Can someone confirm that adding a "period" to any folder will prevent that folder from displaying content in the Gallery? I have an icon folder and it has been bugging me when they show up in my photo gallery. This solution is very promising but I want to know for sure that someone has tried it for an extended period of time with no issues.

ffmedic2112

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
Can someone confirm that adding a "period" to any folder will prevent that folder from displaying content in the Gallery? I have an icon folder and it has been bugging me when they show up in my photo gallery. This solution is very promising but I want to know for sure that someone has tried it for an extended period of time with no issues.

I have a folder that I keep pictures that I don't want showing up in the gallery and I made a .pics folder and they have never shown up in gallery. I've used that folder for a long time. Both on my DROID and X. Not sure how it impacts programs but for just storage it works great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax