Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Angry Droid X some recored video WONT play back: ERROR File cannot be displayed or played

    So after a few family Christmas partys are done and wife and I check the videos of our 2 year old going crazy enjoying his Christmas gifts, I find a grey icon instead of a preview of video and then try to play them back and they wont work!!! Getting message ERROR File cannot be displayed or played. WTF!!! PLEASE HELP me fix this!!!!
  2. #2  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vandozer98 View Post
    So after a few family Christmas partys are done and wife and I check the videos of our 2 year old going crazy enjoying his Christmas gifts, I find a grey icon instead of a preview of video and then try to play them back and they wont work!!! Getting message ERROR File cannot be displayed or played. WTF!!! PLEASE HELP me fix this!!!!
    what video player are you trying to use?

    Also have you tried the following?
    Rebooted the phone?
    Remove and reinsert the SD card from the phone?
    Tried to transfer the videos from the phone to PC?
    Last edited by DroidXcon; 12-26-2010 at 03:42 AM.
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  3. #3  
    Smitty_82's Avatar
    Android Addict

    Posts
    1,596 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

    Default

    I use rock player for anything the stock player won't play. Might be something else to try.
  4. #4  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty_82 View Post
    I use rock player for anything the stock player won't play. Might be something else to try.
    Smitty is correct, try using a 3rd party player, such as rock. In order for the phone to allow you to use a different player you need to clear the native player from default permission. in order to do this .. do the following

    Settings>applications>manage applications select the video player within this screen select clear defaults.

    then go back to the video in the gallery , try to open it and it will give you the option of the players you can use
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default

    I am using the stock video player...is that bad?
    Am downloading rock player now to see if that helps....nope get message Cant open content ://media/external/video/media/39 to play
    I have shut phone down and started back up and nothing changed.
    I did unmount the sd card...but did not manualy remove it...will try that now.
    i dont want to do a factory reset and lose all of apps and stuff, but will do if have to.
  6. #6  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vandozer98 View Post
    I am using the stock video player...is that bad?
    Am downloading rock player now to see if that helps....nope get message Cant open content ://media/external/video/media/39 to play
    I have shut phone down and started back up and nothing changed.
    I did unmount the sd card...but did not manualy remove it...will try that now.
    i dont want to do a factory reset and lose all of apps and stuff, but will do if have to.
    well lets leave that as last resort
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default

    No luck there either Droidxcon but thanks. I am still trying to figure out the basic stuff X can do! Thanks to u guys I think I will learn a lot
  8. #8  
    Smitty_82's Avatar
    Android Addict

    Posts
    1,596 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

    Default

    It's not bad to use the stock player. Some of the aftermarket player support more codex than the stock. I use both depending on the type of video file.
    The SuperUser likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default

    On a side note I have not rooted x yet but have z4root app installed. Have been to affraid it or i would mess up phone and now look where i am!! lmao Not really even all that sure what I would gain by rooting
  10. #10  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vandozer98 View Post
    No luck there either Droidxcon but thanks. I am still trying to figure out the basic stuff X can do! Thanks to u guys I think I will learn a lot
    i would try to use a couple more video players before you try to do a factory restore...

    and before you do a factory restore, you should do a VZW backup assistant

    Settings>accounts and sync>backup assistant

    this will back up all your contacts
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default

    Ok will look for other player first then backup contacts with vzw. I do have all contacts on gmail though...Should I still bother?
    Last edited by vandozer98; 12-26-2010 at 04:29 AM. Reason: messed up
  12. #12  
    Smitty_82's Avatar
    Android Addict

    Posts
    1,596 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

    Default

    I would try playing the file on a pc before doing anything like a factory reset on your dx. If you recorded it with the stock video recorder, it should play fine in widows media player.
  13. #13  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty_82 View Post
    I would try playing the file on a pc before doing anything like a factory reset on your dx. If you recorded it with the stock video recorder, it should play fine in widows media player.
    Yeah this would eliminate the idea the file is corrupted, do you know how move files from your phone to the computer, we can walk you through that aswell
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  14. #14  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vandozer98 View Post
    Ok will look for other player first then backup contacts with vzw. I do have all contacts on gmail though...Should I still bother?
    if your contacts are on gmail then you are good i believe
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default

    I have not tryed to play on pc yet
  16. #16  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vandozer98 View Post
    I have not tryed to play on pc yet
    shall we instruct you on how to do this. i use to have a DX and its pretty universal on how to do this, and anything i miss Smitty can jump in on
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default

    I may not be doing it the "right" way but I was able to get some movies and music on phone from pc. If you guys dont mind showing me whats up and do things correctly I would be greatful
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default

    You no longer use X? Any reason why?
  19. #19  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vandozer98 View Post
    You no longer use X? Any reason why?
    I bought the Samsung Fascinate because of the SAMOLED screen since i develop the chemicals inside the screen, i was going to use it only to show people the screen, but after using it i found it to be alot smoother and more fluid. also after looking at the screen i could not look at the DX screen anymore because it looked washed out. And although the DX was powerful i just found the fascinate easier to use. So after using them both for two months i sold my DX..

    ok i will do a walk through, i will edit this post in a couple mins
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

    Default

    Only issue I have right now is I am at work for another 2 hours and work pc needs admin privlages to access and download anything, moto etc
  21. #21  
    Smitty_82's Avatar
    Android Addict

    Posts
    1,596 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

    Default

    I usually just take my sd card out and use a card reader to plug it in directly to the usb port. The data transfer was faster for me that way.
    Thanked by:
  22. #22  
    Smitty_82's Avatar
    Android Addict

    Posts
    1,596 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vandozer98 View Post
    Only issue I have right now is I am at work for another 2 hours and work pc needs admin privlages to access and download anything, moto etc
    Understand, I have admin on my work computer so I forget about that sometimes.
    Thanked by:
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

    Default

    I can access the 'removable disk' in my computer but only can find music and 1 picture and 5 videos and they all disply a none working icon.

    i can wait till i get home to try and access them that way
  24. #24  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vandozer98 View Post
    Only issue I have right now is I am at work for another 2 hours and work pc needs admin privlages to access and download anything, moto etc
    perhaps the drivers are already installed, try this connect the usb cable, then slide down the notification bar down click the usb notification and choose to mount the sd card..... then go to "computer" on your desk top and see if you see the SD card as a drive
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Thanked by:
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

    Default

    there are 2 usb in notification bar, debugging connected or usb connection. no way to mount card while usb cable plugged in
    Last edited by vandozer98; 12-26-2010 at 04:57 AM. Reason: messed up
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

B