Gallery Won't Open

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Can you access the gallery from your computer with the phone plugged into the usb? Just wondering if the sd card is doing weird things on you. Try and shut the phone down, remove battery, remove sd card. Then put it all back and see if its back?
If not you might be looking at a factory reset.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The answer should be "yes", but you probably can't just click on the apk and install it without superuser access, since it's a system program.

lsmunoz

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I had this happen last week. Another post recomended pulling all files off SD onto PC, then formating SD, followed by pulling files back onto SD from PC.

That worked well for me.

m0nti13

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I had this happen last week. Another post recomended pulling all files off SD onto PC, then formating SD, followed by pulling files back onto SD from PC.

That worked well for me.

I had this issue a week or two ago as well.. reformating the sd fixed it for me too.. remember to save your data first..

billfisher1

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I am experiencing the same thing. I open the gallery and it flashes on for about a tenth of a second and then closes. I put 3D gallery on and it works fine, all pictures show but I prefer the original gallery. Very strange.

beckerfj

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
A couple weeks ago, I experienced the same thing as changefromBB did on how my gallery just flashes and closes. Couldn't do anything.

After doing a little research, I decide to install Gallery 3D as some had suggested as a replacement.

I didn't really care for the Gallery 3D compared to the Moto Gallery (I think I might be the only one).

What I found (for me at least) is that some game images (shown as a separate folder in Gallery 3D) were causing the problem. I found this out because I didn't want those game images in my Gallery and I removed the album.

Once I removed the album (and maybe after rebooting), my Gallery worked! It happened again after I installed another game (for what it's worth, the games I believe affected it were Dungeon Hunter and Hero of Sparta both from Gameloft) and I did the same thing and it worked again.

Kind of a pain, but it doesn't seem to happen all the time and I feel confident I can fix it (plus I don't install too many game apps anyway).

(Yes, I did the .nomedia file trick too but they were still showing as a folder for some reason - for what it's worth, the .nomedia trick didn't work for my audio files either).

So, try something like this before re-formatting your SD card.

Reactions: blzngflame

Sailmaker

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Photo Gallery Won't Open-Fix

Here is what worked for me...no reformat required:

Go to:
Settings >> Applications >> Manage Applications >> All tab
For each of the following, I clicked on Clear data and Clear cache: (Just clearing Gallery did not do it for me)
Gallery
Media Container Service
Media Storage
Then I restarted phone by holding down power button, clicking Power Off, then held it again to turn on and working great! It did take a few minutes for the Gallery to get all the thumbnails again the first time I started it, but works!
I was afraid I deleted all files on SD but they are all still there. Just be patient, will take several minutes for Gallery to repopulate.

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I just had this problem surface today! Cache wipe, battery pull, etc. did not work. I will try what Beckerfj did before I do the whole SD reformat thing.

Isn't it interesting how this seems to be popping up with a lot of people recently though? I am wondering if one of the Market app updates hosed our galleries? BTW, FWIW, I did recently do the .nomedia trick to a few folders that I did not want showing up in Gallery. However this issue did not suddenly pop up after I did that... so not sure if that's even related or a possible cause.

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes!!! Tried Sailmaker's suggestion first, and it worked!! Media Storage and Media Container Service were the key. Thanks so much!!!!

tricia4652

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site

Go to:
For each of the following, I clicked on Clear data and Clear cache: (Just clearing Gallery did not do it for me)
Gallery
Media Container Service
Media Storage
Then I restarted phone by holding down power button, clicking Power Off, then held it again to turn on and working great! It did take a few minutes for the Gallery to get all the thumbnails again the first time I started it, but works!
I was afraid I deleted all files on SD but they are all still there. Just be patient, will take several minutes for Gallery to repopulate.
Were all of the pics/video files deleted after clearing the data and cache? I wanted to know if I needed to back them up on my computer prior to trying this fix.

Sailmaker

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Were all of the pics/video files deleted after clearing the data and cache? I wanted to know if I needed to back them up on my computer prior to trying this fix.

No. After clearing the multiple data & caches, all data was still intact on the SD card. (although I got a little nervous) Just be patient...like I said in my OP, it will take a few minutes to repopulate your gallery pics.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It did take a little longer to load up the videos and picture initially but after that, it was fine and still works now.

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Go to:
Gallery
Media Container Service
Media Storage

This works! Thanks, Sailmaker. I recommended this as a news tip for the site because it could help a lot of other people.

john_ecko

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I had this problem too.

Didn't get to see Sailmaker's solution before hand though. After I dled 3D gallery, I noticed in my cache folder duplicates of the same picture. The cache is created by the app SyncMyPix. So, I deleted that cache folder and I uninstalled that app and the regular gallery started to work fine again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2