What would u do??

Rushkiboy#AC

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Just got my new Droid X for Xmas and finally got rid of that Blackberry Storm 2. Now what is the first think u would do to it? Add certain cool apps, hacks, etc. Really dont know much about this phone yet so please help. Thanks guys! Very excited to have this.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
The first thing I would do is download and set Launcher Pro as your user interface. Then I would go to youtube and search for videos for the Droid X and watch some of the stuff that you can do with the phone. You'll also see many great apps in these videos (including one for Launcher Pro). I also came from bb and found this very helpful in understanding a new operating system.

Reactions: Rushkiboy#AC

LastOstrogoth

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I have had mine for a few weeks. Like you, I came from the world of Blackberry. The first thing worth doing is to get Launcher Pro. There are other Launchers, but this one is free, and works really well. It allows you to set up your homepages, set the primary, choose what apps you access to in the form of shortcut icons, etc. Then download "Lookout" which is an excellent utility to protect your phone. After that, it is really a matter of deciding on your personal priorities and going through the Market to see what is available and what appeals. I found that getting Launcher Pro and setting up my individual homepage really helped me organize the phone. Initially, I had my regular email account on the phone, but rapidly discovered that having all email forwarded to my Gmail account works far better, as it is much easier to manage email that way. Synchonizing between the computer and phone works superbly through Gmail. Those are just a few ideas. I am sure that more experienced users have a lot more ideas to offer.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Congrats on your new DX! I love mine and I'm sure you will have it rocking before long. The forums are a great way to find out all about your new device. It's a huge step up from your Storm. I would start out with checking a few threads to get started.
http://forum.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/
http://forum.androidcentral.com/member-favorites/
Hope that will get you started. The Members Favorites is a great place to find out what most people use for apps.

On Launcher Pro vs ADW, they are both great and work well on the Droid X. Feel free to try both if you want an find the one that works for you. There are different features on each.

stacyadell

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Purchase beautiful widgets, very nice! If you like Launcher Pro, I would suggest purchasing the Plus version, the sense like widgets it adds (facebook, people, calendar, bookmarks, twitter, etc) and the ability to costumize dock icons and the dock background as well as resizing widgets is fantastic!

FYI is you install a 3rd party launcher be sure to clear all the screens on the default home screen or you will have your phone running double time.

Another free favorite app is Quick Settings, I like that you can set it to be in the notification bar but be invisible until you drop down the bar then you can access, bluetooth, wifi, brightness, ringer settings, you name it as you can select which items show up in the pop-up screen.

Astro File Manager is a good app to have as it allows for more control than the stock file explorer.

If you liek music check out DoubleTwist player and TuneIn Radio as well as Music Downloader (all free).

For sports I like Sportstap as I prefer their widget over ScoreMobile but check them both out. ESPN is good but no widget.

I am a snowboarder so the new SkiReport app is great, still nothing from OnTheSnow but this one suffices.

Check out AppBrain too, it's like the market on crack.

I purchased MyBackup Pro but that's becuase I have had a phone stolen and like that I can back up my apps, settings and pictures on my sd card and online.

stacyadell

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Oh forget to mention Handcent, Chomp, Go SMS & SMS PopUP. Handcent, Chomp and Go SMS are replacement apps for the stock text messeging app (be sure to turn off notifications in the native app if you use one of these or you will get duplicate notifications) they also all have popup screens (like the Jesus phone) and Handcent lets you costumize individual contact text tones and light colors (think berry buzz). I don't think GoSMS does as I downloaded it the other day and could not find the option and I am not sure about Chomp since I don't use it.

If you like the native texting app but would like to have popup texts and custom notifications check out SMS PopUp. I use it combined with Handcent becuase I like the larger contact picture in the popup window. Its all personal preference though with these apps as teh developers are all great!

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a S2 user as well, get launcherpro and get the paid version. You will not regret it. Also get an app HomeSwitcher so you can go between LP and moroblur. Shut of all widgets on Motorblur before using LP or it will kill the battery.

Handcent was awesome as well. With the S2, hitting the enter key sends the message but with the DX and motoblur, the enter keys actually enter a new line. Handcent allows you to customize they way you want it. I had some issues with the phone not sending messages with Handcent, just reboot and you will be fine. And reboot is instant compared to BB.

Other then that, I would play around with it and see what you want to do. I would also root it just so you gain superuser access. It's really easy to root as well as unroot. Unrooting looks un-attractive but once you do it, you will realize how easy it is to do it.

One other thing to check out is the extended battery from VZW, it's $60 and it only adds 1mm thickness to the phone.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Los of great advice here. I'm a Launcher Pro Plus guy... Had it since way back and uninstalled it over and over (reinstalled, though, each time) to see what native launcher capabilities were. Finally realized LPP greatly expanded the launcher capabilities. Have it active now and lovin it. Won't uninstall again. Developer keeps up and always improving.

nevrdun

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I too came from a BB background and my best advice is don't do anything yet! Just learn the device in stock form and then see what you would want to change. But don't trade in a 91 Camaro for a new ZR1 'vette and start thinking of upgrades before you've driven the car. The stock X will be very overwhelming in the first place. You will definately not be dissapointed.

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I too came from a BB background and my best advice is don't do anything yet! Just learn the device in stock form and then see what you would want to change. But don't trade in a 91 Camaro for a new ZR1 'vette and start thinking of upgrades before you've driven the car. The stock X will be very overwhelming in the first place. You will definately not be dissapointed.

I would agree with this. Get used to it a little to see what you like and don;t like before starting to switch things up.

I've heard a lot of good things about LauncherPro...may have to try it sometime.

gt3dan

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Wait a second, I'm confused. Not trying to cause a problem here or say anything bad Rushkiboy, but your stats say you already have Gummy Jar installed and yet your asking for app advice?

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah if you've rooted it, you're good to go.

My first advice to people before they've rooted: get Launcher Pro.

My advice to people after they've rooted: get a wireless tether app.

Everything after that is just material. Once you've done those two things, you've essentially crowned yourself god of your smartphone.

Another thing you may want to look into is overclocking/underclocking. From wanting pure speed or great battery life, you can find a combination that works for you. Step on into the ROMs/Hacks section before you do and do your research.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy