Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Droid X DLNA w/ PS3

I Know.....newbie question, but how do you connect the PS3 and DX through DLNA? I've tried, but the DX shows no available devices when I turn on the dlna app. Please help

ROM
    Stock

This should get you fixed right up.
    PS3™ | Media Server Connection
    Samsung Galaxy S3
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I've tried that, but my phone isn't recognizing any dlna media in the house. I've gone through the step by step from the page you had on link....still doesnot work

ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

Are you trying to set up the PS3 to play videos stored on your X or your X to play videos stored on your PS3?

Assuming the PS3 owns the file (you're streaming FROM the PS3 TO the X) you're probably out of luck, I don't think the PS3 is a media server at all. Sadly, the X's DLNA support is also a bit oversold. There are very few servers out there that stream in a format able to be played by the X but most, if not all, show up in the list. I've tested with Tversity, Orb and PlayOn.

Assuming the X owns the file (you're streaming FROM the X TO the PS3) I would imagine that the link above would be more help than I can be (buy an XBox and I'd be able to help a bit more). You can try installing one of the programs mentioned above to see if the PS3 can see that.

EDIT:
    A while ago a DLNA server called Mezzmo was mentioned which claims to offer support for the X. Personally, I'm waiting for PlayOn's Android app since it'll stream over 3G.
    Last edited by jdbower; 12-30-2010 at 06:35 PM.
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    Motorola Droid X (WiFi)/Motorola Droid 2 Global (VZW)
    Motorola 9505A (Iridium)/HP Zeen (WiFi)

I'm going to subscribe to this thread...
    Storm 1 ----> Droid X

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts

i think I will too

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

If you can't see the ps3 as a media server on your phone then either it isn't enabled on the machine or your router is blocking dlna.

The ps3 is a media server as well as a client, so it can send files to your phone or pc, as well as play files from your phone and pc. I use this function all the time. There is a problem with formats between moto droids and the ps3, but first you need to figure out what's blocking the two devices from finding each other.

You said your phone can't find any media servers, can your ps3 find your phone? Is your phone rooted? De-bloated? Do you have a pc with the current windows media player? If so, is dlna enabled on it? If it is, can your ps3 find your pc?
    Galaxy Nexus, Droid Charge, Gtab 10.1
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by BrianTX View Post
    If you can't see the ps3 as a media server on your phone then either it isn't enabled on the machine or your router is blocking dlna.

The ps3 is a media server as well as a client, so it can send files to your phone or pc, as well as play files from your phone and pc. I use this function all the time. There is a problem with formats between moto droids and the ps3, but first you need to figure out what's blocking the two devices from finding each other.

You said your phone can't find any media servers, can your ps3 find your phone? Is your phone rooted? De-bloated? Do you have a pc with the current windows media player? If so, is dlna enabled on it? If it is, can your ps3 find your pc?
    My phone doesn't recognize my ps3 and visa versa. Also My computer is a year old. Not sure about the DLNA for that. Sorry?? Also i have enabled the media server on the ps3. Any other suggestions would be great

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

What kind of router do you have? I'm guessing that's where the problem is.

Did you root and de-bloat your phone?

ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

Are both on Wifi? Some routers by default will disallow wifi-to-wifi communication as a security mechanism.
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    Motorola Droid X (WiFi)/Motorola Droid 2 Global (VZW)
    Motorola 9505A (Iridium)/HP Zeen (WiFi)

Got the Wife's DX working on my PS3 via my Vizio router. Not very clear though on why only ring tones could be seen by PS3, and not the photos she had taken. The DLNA app on the moto is not very explicit of which directories it is sharing when you go through the various screens.

Was able to look at photos and such by going to each icon on the ps3. Took a bit of time between photos but was still nice to see we could do.

Videos taken by the phone come back as non-supported format. Darn.

Have to see if can find like app for my HINC.
    Last edited by sURFNmADNESS; 01-02-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

Glad to see you got it working, what did you do to fix it?