Just got my Droid X

OchoUno81

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
So I'm new to this whole Android deal, but I had a buddy trying to teach me a little bit last night.

I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions or tips? Any good apps/widgets I need to download?

Also, I was searching the market last night, yet I couldn't find a good contacts widget, one that would preferably use Facebook photos for contacts? Any one have or know of a good one? And the other thing I searched for was a messaging widget, similar to what comes on the HTC Evo. I obviously know it won't run the same as it but something similar would be tremendous.

Thanks guys

lsmunoz

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I use SyncMyPix to put facebook photos on contacts. HandcentSMS for messaging. LauncherPro + as a home replacement.

If you do a search on this forum, you are bound to find lots of other suggestions as well.

hezzdown

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
+ 1 For Launcher Pro Plus. Beautiful Widgets is awsome as well. I really like clockr for a time widget. Android Central is a great place to find the latest and greatest in apps so keep coming back and reading the reviews!

j0hnnyRingo

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I like the Beautiful Widgets app, nice widget with clock and weather and a good bit of skins to choose from.

Recently switched to the "simi clock" app for my homescreen clock, minimal and nice looking.

SwitchPro is a good widget to use for controlling wifi, brightness, battery meter, etc.

Also, Launcher Pro Plus is a nice home launcher replacement as well. A lot of customization options.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Congrats on your phone. Just add your facebook account to your contacts. Contacts>Menu>Add account.

Same here:
Launcher pro plus with LPI
Beautiful Widgets
Handcent sms
K9 mail
,..........that's a good start for customizing.

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Adw launcher ex is as good as launcherpro. Check them both out. Mobile buzz widget is one if my most used app it gives you all the news on android

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Go to youtube and search for Droid X. There are a bunch of videos that will show you how to do things as well as demo a wide assortment of apps.

pjh325

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Congratulations on your new X!!! Make sure to download the android central app. I also really like tapatalk pro, it is great for reading the forums here and any others you are a part of!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If you get LauncherPro, they have a widget with contacts. It's not bad, You can choose full screen or a vertical one. But it allows you to put them on one of your home screens.

grnsl2

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
So I'm new to this whole Android deal, but I had a buddy trying to teach me a little bit last night.

I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions or tips? Any good apps/widgets I need to download?

Also, I was searching the market last night, yet I couldn't find a good contacts widget, one that would preferably use Facebook photos for contacts? Any one have or know of a good one? And the other thing I searched for was a messaging widget, similar to what comes on the HTC Evo. I obviously know it won't run the same as it but something similar would be tremendous.

Thanks guys

Read read read! These forums are awesome for info like this. If you can't find it a quick post get's you a page of posts helping you in just a few hours! People here are awesome and so helpful! Here's a good base to start at... http://forum.androidcentral.com/member-favorites/

Android Forums > Android Chat > Android Applications > Member Favorites

Happy hunting!

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
congrats and welcome... I use ADW EX as a launcher and also have launcher pro plus... i switch my stuff up so much and I like the options both have... beautiful widgets is great... definitely recommended. also for great "minimalist" options simi folder is a great app.

OchoUno81

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys for all the help! I'm gonna try to mess around with this phone and see if I can get the hang of it. At least now I know where to look and know that i can get tons of help here!

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Be sure to play around with the phone A LOT...Get to know how it operates and then figure out what you like and do not like. Then add some of the suggested apps and compare how you like them versus stock....Don't add too many too soon or else you will never know...Have fun! Its a great device...

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Be sure to play around with the phone A LOT...Get to know how it operates and then figure out what you like and do not like. Then add some of the suggested apps and compare how you like them versus stock....Don't add too many too soon or else you will never know...Have fun! Its a great device...

Agreed. Get use to the phone the way it is for a week or two learning as much as you can about it. Then start customizing.

Zaft

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I recommend you download Fission 2.4.3 rom. This is a vanilla android rom, pure android. You will like it alot more then launcher pro or the stock moto blur.

its easy to install. look it up on youtube. Almost forgot you need to root your phone via z4root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy