Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Default Any way to play DRM protected WMA on Android?

Our library use Overdrive Media to provide digital audiobooks and many are protected WMA files. Any way to get that to play on my X? I could remove the DRM, but trying to play by the rules.....
    Superstar Status

ROM
    AOKP M5 / Franco

If you used Audible I would say download their app.

You could try this maybe: AppBrain-Overdrive Media Console

Other then that I think as of right now the only way to do it is to convert the files to MP3 and remove the DRM.

At some point Android will add support for DRM Audiobooks.
    Look at your comment. Back to mine. Back to yours NOW BACK TO MINE. Sadly, it isn't mine. But if you stopped trolling and started posting useful replies it could LOOK like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through comments, finding the ones that your comment could look like. Back at mine, what is it? It's a highly effective counter-troll. Look again, MY COMMENT IS NOW DIAMONDS.Anything is possible when you think before you comment or post. Im on a computer.
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Not without breaking the rules.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

If you used Audible I would say download their app.
    I don't. I have an Overdrive account

You could try this maybe: AppBrain-Overdrive Media Console
    I have it and it works well with MP3s from Overdrive, but it won't even give you the option to download WMA as it appears that playing those isn't allowed on Android.

Other then that I think as of right now the only way to do it is to convert the files to MP3 and remove the DRM.
    Not that I'm above or never have removed protections on materials I purchased (for backup or mobile use), but trying to play nice on this one as I don't own the materials (they're loans via library).

Thanks for the ideas though!
    Superstar Status

ROM
    AOKP M5 / Franco

Yeah I dont really understand not including support for WMA and other formats.
    Look at your comment. Back to mine. Back to yours NOW BACK TO MINE. Sadly, it isn't mine. But if you stopped trolling and started posting useful replies it could LOOK like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through comments, finding the ones that your comment could look like. Back at mine, what is it? It's a highly effective counter-troll. Look again, MY COMMENT IS NOW DIAMONDS.Anything is possible when you think before you comment or post. Im on a computer.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DroidDev View Post
    Yeah I dont really understand not including support for WMA and other formats.
    I know...I just dug out my old VX6700 PPC, downloaded the Overdrive app for that, and it works with all the file types. Nothing like 3/4 y/o tech doing something my X cannot

now to find that dang 2.5mm to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter....

Default Re: Any way to play DRM protected WMA on Android?

No, this is more like nothing like modern websites using 3-4 year old unsupported technology.

Quote Originally Posted by darthdad View Post
    I know...I just dug out my old VX6700 PPC, downloaded the Overdrive app for that, and it works with all the file types. Nothing like 3/4 y/o tech doing something my X cannot

now to find that dang 2.5mm to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter....